New P210 Target-thanks on the 9mm 1911 thread

wild cat mccane

Hey all,

Thank you kindly for all the help in my 1911 9mm thread. I still may pick up something along a gold cup 9mm, but got just an amazing deal on a new Sig P210 Target.

I have smaller hands and had great concern about the grip being too large. In fact, it's perfect. Fills out where it needs and does not feel bulky.

The trigger is pretty dang nice. There is take up, but the break is better than my Shadows. The reset is a longer and not entirely hard/distinct.

Everything said and done, it does it for me even with obvious limitations. I just feels great in the hand. It points comfortably just grabbing it or forcing myself to readjust to use the safety has a thumb ledge. Just feels great.

I don't care for walnut as a color on wood. Just pretty flat and boring. My grips are particularly uninspiring. However, the grain does match at the back.

I'm looking forward to taking it to the range soon.

Thanks all for the help!

g05W9LMl.jpg

K1V9c1el.jpg

2qIA2crl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome announcement of your new Sig, and the pictures. You did good.

I have one similar, but it is the standard version with fixed sights. I'm an old guy and I like all steel, hammer fired, single action, single stack features. You're correct about the trigger. A little bit of take up, then a very light second stage release. If you're not careful the let-off can surprise you. Mine functioned flawlessly out of the box.

You will enjoy your new Sig P 210. It may even become your favorite handgun.

If you're considering 9mm, consider a Browning Hi-Power. Nice thin grip for a double stack. (Stock grips a bit *too* thin for me, but that was an easy fix.)

Last edited:
Those grips look pretty nice to me.

If you want a darker color, you could always strip them and pick a stain in a color you like better.

Hogue makes aftermarket grips for the Sig P210, but they are for the standard model. However, I believe that the frame is identical for both the target model and the standard model. Just the slide is different. If you wanted to convert the target to a standard model with adjustable sights, you could just substitute standard grips and purchase the slightly shorter standard magazine.

Hogue makes aftermarket grips for the Sig P210, but they are for the standard model. However, I believe that the frame is identical for both the target model and the standard model. Just the slide is different. If you wanted to convert the target to a standard model with adjustable sights, you could just substitute standard grips and purchase the slightly shorter standard magazine.
Yes, a number of companies make "Standard" grips that will fit the P210 Target. That's what I did with mine, and I love my gun that much more. Below is a photo of my P210 Target with grips from: https://grips4u.net

And since this photo was taken, I've also added a red dot, making this gun one of my two favorite guns to shoot (the other being a Nighthawk Custom at 3X the cost).

full

And I should add that if you're shopping for standard grips for your target model, make sure that in the description, it says that it fits the target model, because many of the grips you see won't.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase! Great choice in guns...I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

Frank

"likes" to all the comments. Much appreciated and good info.

Seriously considering hard chroming it. Fords has 18% off the $325 they just quoted me for today only.

The idea of stripe it to re stain. Never done that before. I might have to look into that. I really wish there were some red/brown in the wood. I really like the grips for feel. Thankfully the two different mags seem to be the same price.

Just great stuff.

If you decide to go the strip/restain route, it might be good to contact SIG to find out how the grips are finished so you can pick a stripper guaranteed to do the trick.

It is, I suppose, possible that they used a finish that can't be stripped and you'd want to know that before you start.

Really like the P210 overall including the grips. The gun was new and by mistake I grabbed a box of 147s off the shelf instead of the 124 target loads I meant to bring. Fired a few shots to adjust the sights and then put 10 shots standing in a clean target at 25 yards. No surprises, it put them right were held. Later I shot some 124s and the 147s it seems to like better. Good luck with yours.
52896203509_667648d3f7_z.jpg

I bought an American 210 Target shortly after they were introduced. I'd had Swiss and German 210s before, and bought the American version to confirm they were as bad as I expected they would be. I was wrong. The 210A is precisely fitted with a good trigger, and displays excellent accuracy and reliability. I still have mine, with no plans to trade it on the next shiny thing to catch my eye.

I did replace the target grips on mine with a more service type in Walnut from Hogue..

Enjoy your new 210.

If you're considering 9mm, consider a Browning Hi-Power.

As the owner of several Browning Hi-Powers, I can tell you no variant of the BHP is in the same league as a P210 in terms of ergonomics or shooting experience.

Peeps really do either have an affinity for a high power or not. :D

Funny, I thought my small hands meant the target grips would go away. Turns out I'm the only one that likes them :D

WCM, FWIW I'm a longtime 1911 guy, and have a recent production 9mm Gold Cup. As received, the 210A is a more reliable and accurate pistol. With several hundred factory rounds through the Gold Cup, it is just now getting where it will reliably feed some JHP ammo, as long as I use the front ramp type 9mm magazines. I really like GCs in general, and have owned several since the '70s. But having owned Colt 9mms before, I cannot claim to be shocked that my GC is not as reliable as many other 9mm pistols with JHP and JFP ammo.

PS, I'm a longtime Hi Power fan too, but realize they are not for everybody..

I have a HP Comp. It’s most accurate 9mm I’ve ever shot. The original 210 is suppose to be the king of 9s. I don’t disagree even though I’ve never owned one. I never bought one because of price when I was younger. From what I gather on new model 210 it is a very fine and good shooter but not on par with originals. If I thought I could do better with one of these I would buy one. Probably will pick one up used after somebody else drives it off the lot.

I have a HP Comp. It’s most accurate 9mm I’ve ever shot. The original 210 is suppose to be
the king of 9s. I don’t disagree even though I’ve never owned one. I never bought one because of price when I was younger. From what I gather on new model 210 it is a very fine and good shooter but not on par with originals. If I thought I could do better with one of these I would buy one. Probably will pick one up used after somebody else drives it off the lot.

The American P210 is on par with the original from a performance standpoint, in my opinion. I have multiple Swiss and German models. Quality isn’t at that level, but still a very well built pistol.

The P210 Target will outshoot any Hi Power I’ve own or have owned. I have a Competition model also. It’s just a far better pistol from an accuracy standpoint.

Congrats on your new P210A Target! I have one as well in addition to a Swiss and German models. I really like the ergonomics on the P210A. The grip fits my hands well and no hammer bite like the original Swiss ones. They resolved the hammer bite with the German "Legend" model by adding a nice beavertail, but the safety is like the Swiss one (unless you got the Super Target). They also went with the thumb mag release rather than the European heel mag release. The P210A has the safety, slide release, and grip of the P210 Super Target.

Enjoy the heck out of your gun. I'm glad to see that bac1023 has finally come around on the P210A ;). He is an absolute authority on Sig P210s and pretty much most really nice guns. From what he has shared on here, his collection is the stuff of legends!

Back