New Mexico Mountain Lion

If y'all ever get the chance to hunt one of these cats, do so. The air is awful thin up there for sea level blood. It's cold and vertical. But the prize is well worth it.
Rich

Attachments

• done cat.jpg
    done cat.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 308
I fired a couple of shots at one that was charging my friend while we were hunting and I agree they are impressive animals,and dangerous.How close where you to him,tell me the story

Bwana Rich,

I think you need a burly lad like myself to be your personal gunbearer. Gimme an address, and I'll send my resume. I'll even wear a funny hat like that if need be.

Sincerely,
Sub

Nice cat, did you use hounds, call it in, or just spot and stalk? One day I'm gonna be successful and get one too. Or at least I keep saying that...

1Gshot-
We got lucky on this hunt. My Pack Boots had not arrived by the time i left and, despite a full day in Santa Fe prior to the hunt, I failed to come up with a pair except from WalMart. I'm not certain what was more uncomfortable: the seams on the cheap WM boots or the lack of insulation in my hiking boots. In any case, a long trek would have been painful.

Our guide, Richard Ley, hit on fresh tracks day three. They were so fresh, in fact, that we'd jumped the cat off a kill. The dogs were set loose and treed the animal within about 800 yards of the road.

When we caught up, the cat was about 20 yards up. I carried the 500 Linebaugh with Ashley Dot sights in a Lou Alessi Crossdraw holster and the DRC Custom 45-70.

Due to the fact that the dogs kept breaking free of their tethers and the cat looked like it might bolt, Richard called for a spine shot thru the throat. This requires that I kneel basically under the animal. The shooting was barely marginal, I'm afraid to say. The short hike at high altitude, the vertical shooting angle and dumb lack of practice with the 500 Linebaugh all took there toll.

First shot was a complete miss! Follow up went 2" left of center and the cat dropped, catching the trunk and hanging. Third shot was taken as it swung on the tree and blew through the top of the shoulder. The cat dropped and bolted uphill.

The best shot was a 30 yard running TX Heart shot that, again, went left of center (by only an inch). Unfortunately, the hard cast 400+ grainer blew clean thru and exited in front of the left rear leg, without impacting bone.

The cat made it to another tree about 100 yards off. When we hustled up, it was lying on its side and, apparently, expiring. (Head kept lolling and eyes kept closing.) This is when it gets dangerous. If the cat rolled out of the tree, almost dead, the dogs would go for it and, chances are, it would take a couple of them (or us) out.

I put a 430 grain 45-70 through the chest and the cat dropped. Then it got up and started running! Again! It made it about 50 yards before dropping.

It's a perfect 125lb Tom. Teeth are pristine; coat is unmarred except for 6 entry/exits of various sizes! Thank God for Taxidermists!

All in all, the hunt was successful. But, as I said, the shooting was not very good. Next time.....PRACTICE!
Rich

Attachments

• cathug.jpg
    cathug.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 187
Rich,

What part of NM were you in? I'm a NM native and would love to know where you bagged this beauty. I usually hunt the Jic and areas around Lindrith.

coat is unmarred except for 6 entry/exits of various sizes!

Can you say "swiss cheese"? ;)

Next time take your .357 or .41/.44 mag (or even a 10mm Glock)... will work beautifully on a thin-skinned cougar at 20yds, and you won't flinch.

CM-
I pride myself on being about the most recoil-insensitive man on the planet. This comes only second to my pride in honest reporting of my shooting. Fact of the matter is that I didn't flinch....I clean missed! :(

The 10mm Delta Elite was in the truck. Yup, it'd done the job, too. But I've never believed you could kill game too quickly....or too dead. Hides should be the taxidermist's problem; not the hunter's. ;)
Rich

Yer a good sport, Rich L.

I confess that some of my rifle shots this year weren't the greatest... though they were at 250 yards +- (maybe it's the +- part... estimating range, that's the problem!). :D

Being a NM native myself, I feel I must set the record straight: the air there is perfect. YOUR air is too thick, humid and heavy.

And it's not "cold", it's "crisp".

;)

Thanks for the story Rich - makes me want to get back up in the hill chasin after that "hound music!" :D

I'd bet you would have laughed before this hunt at anyone that would have said you would cleanly miss a full grown lion who was sitting there just looking at you at the range of 20 yards. Such is the Odyssey! Congrats again.

Rich,
What'd I tell ya great time huh?
Well it was an experience to remember anyway. Hey looking forward to hunting hogs with ya real soon! In any case I'm going to take the liberty of putting our web address up if any of you guys & gals want to book this year mention the firing line and recieve 10% off on your lion hunt. Just tell Ricard (Ley) that Greg told you that's the deal.

Mention Rich missing his first shot and receive a sample O genuine Lion hound scat yours at no additional fee.

Great lion hunting with one of the countries most experienced cat hunters. (ok so he needs to work on his people skills):) :)
But we sure can get them cats eh!!

www.huntingwesternusa.com

Last edited:
Oh and just to set the record straight on Riches shooting.

I saw Rich shoot a coyote in low light running full bore right up the old hinney. I watched him shoot a nice hog grave yard dead from a semi-moving vehical. A whole bunch of jack rabbits several prarrie dogs and a rock or two all in one day with his open sighted 45-70 and I've got to tell you boys Luchi don't flinch.

I shot both of his .50's (BMG & Linebaugh) :eek: His .45-70 with some kind of astronaumical hot ammunition his.416 and even his light rifle a .338 that weighs about 2lbs or something. Do we see a trend here? The boy likes big stuff he shoots it alot and he's damn good with all of it.

Rich since your so modest I just though I'd do a little braging for you.;)

Hey Greg-
I apologize. I really should have given Richard the plug he deserves:
Richard Ley is a hunter's hunter...he reminds one of days when Men were Men and Giants Walked the Earth. Other than being rather monosyllabic in responding to dumb questions, his "people skills" are just fine. He knows the mountains up there and is as patient as Job. He's also tough as nails.

Guiding in the mountains is more than just looking for track....we were mostly in the truck on snow and ice covered trails, often with sheer drops on one side. Just negotiating the trail and knowing where you can and can't go is one helluva feat.

Finally, there's the dogs. I've only hunted with dogs twice before, but I can't imagine better efficiency than I saw from Richards canines. I intend to hunt with him again next year....bear. (But I'll practice!)

[Borrowing a line from Joni Mitchell):
"Last time I saw Richard".....he had just finished skinning that cat on his kitchen floor and was packing the meat into the freezer for next week's dinner. I seriously doubt he bothers to cook it!

As for Greg's observation of my shooting: He's also seen me miss a frontal shot on a stationary hog, the size of a CJ7, at 20 paces...I then dropped the rifle and stared at it as that piggie sauntered off with a snort! Good days; Bad days....Good shoots; Bad Shoots. My only goal: get a little better every season.

Check Richard out at http://www.huntingwesternusa.com Don't let the Deliverance banjo music scare you....unless Greg's along for the ride! In that case: Be Afraid....Be Very Afraid! :D
Rich

Rich,
No need to worry they sent me to sensitivity classes I've learned to always ask before I touch now. But my banjo playing has really improved since our last outting.;)

Can someone here tell me whats so diffucult about shooting that big cat 30 feet up in a tree?

Is this something to be considered as "sporting"?

No Flame intended, but i've seen coyotes hunted with dogs, and considered those that do pretty lame.

I've always looked at hunting as something that requires effort, i already have a huge advantage with the hi-powered rifle i use. Spotting & stalking are part of the game, if not, just ain't worth the time or effort.

12-34hom.

Back