New Member seeking Beretta Tomcat advice

Properly made springs take an initial "set," but after that, further compression has no effect-unless that compression is greater than the initial compression. Therefore, just leaving the magazine loaded probably won't have any effect.

I read that post about cutting the springs also but am hesitant to do that. I ended up firing too many rounds through the gun because I also thought it is a magazine issue. I tried loading fewer rounds in the mags but it still had problems feeding. I have 3 mags, surely they can't all be bad. After talking to Beretta I mentioned that the front of the slide does not "click" down to the frame when reassembling the gun and that's when they said they wanted it back. With the hammer back and the barrel popped up the slide will fall off the gun if you turn it upside down. I wasn't that concerned about it because the barrel locked the slide down solidly and the gun ran fine as long as it got a round into the chamber. Anyway it's going to UPS Monday. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like the right thing to do.

I have a Tomcat and a Minx and they both work very very well. I'm a fan of Beretta in general so I'm following this thread with high interest.

--Wag--

So, I got the little Tomcat back from Beretta today. 3 weeks and 2 days from the day they received it, not too bad. They were a little vague about what they found. Said they noted my concerns about fail to feed and slide to frame fit. Said they found " excess material" on the inside of left grip impeding left recoil spring. Removed material and fired 24 rounds of Norma 73 gr. firearm functioned within factory parameters. seems like a lot of double speak to me but at least the slide does now snap down on the frame like it should.
UPS got here a little after 8pm so I just hustled down the hill to my little range and fired a few mags with mixed results. PPU 71 gr. fmj ran with no jams , aquila 71gr fmj had a jam on every round, PMC bronze 71gr fmj had 2 failure to feeds in 2 mags. The pistol was dirty and dry so I'm going to clean and oil it tomorrow and try again.

Just another little note for future reference....cleaned and oiled the pistol and fired PPU. PMC Bronze, Aquila and Magtec rounds through it today. All 71 gr. FMJ .
The PMC and Aquila seem to be a no go on this particular pistol, they just don't feed
The PPU had 2 failure to feed in about 20 rounds.
The Magtec had 1 failure to feed in 50 rounds.
I'm going to polish the feed ramp a little more and try again tomorrow.The jammed rounds don't seem to getting up to the ramp but we'll see.

So, just to finish up this thread. I really like this little pistol, it's more accurate than I am and fun to shoot.
I polished the feed ramp a little more, cleaned and oiled it pretty well. Took it down this afternoon and fired a variety of ammo through it. Brands stated in previous post. It seems it is finally starting to become somewhat reliable after approx. 400 rounds. Still having a nose down failure to feed now and then but it is greatly improved. I'm going to keep it as a range toy but will not carry it.

Had to pass mine on too.

My Tomcat had very small piece break off from inside the gun. Long story much confusion later (search for Tomcat threads, you'll find it.) Beretta sent me a new gun. Didn't even try to shoot it. Put it on consignment as the LGS and eventually traded it for a Ruger Charger.

It seems like Tomcats are a luck of the draw thing. You get a good one or you don't.

Life is good.
Prof. Young

Prof.
I had a small piece of aluminum break off and jam my Tomcat too.
Sent to Beretta, new gun received and shortly sold.
Honestly, their service was the best thing about the whole deal.

Back