New Member Heavy Barrel Help

I have decided to forgo the new rifle and work on my technique with my Ruger American.

I am going to pull the Nikon Prostaff off and check the bases and use some guntite to put it all back together.

Is the Nikon as good of a scope as a Vortex or Leopold?

Your call of course and I think it's probably a good idea to give your Ruger another chance. I have a Howa HB threaded however, and I can tell you its nicely accurate with just about everything I've put through it. If you do eventually purchase a Howa, I suspect you'll be very pleased.

I also have a Vanguard sporter weight barrel rifle in 270. It is also very accurate with my handloads. Shooting its pet load, it's crazy accurate and Howa made rifles are built like a tank. In fact, that's usually the main knock against them, that they're too heavy. Howa, however, engineered them to be durable, accurate and reliable and that's been my first hand experience.

Last edited:
I have a Howa in .204 Ruger. It shoots very well with factory loads as in minute of prairie dog at 400yds.

I might have missed it, but I'm curious where you're placing the rests and bags. Some stocks aren't as stiff as others, and that can affect your grouping. Try keeping the bags, rests, whatever as close to the receiver as possible.

When shooting, let the barrel cool off after the first two shots.

Then try to maintain slightly warm but not hot to the touch. Maybe 3 minutes between shots (air temp has a lot to do with it, the colder it is the less time but we are talking under 20 degrees)

You may be limited to 3 shot groups depending on what the barrel does.

If you have the patience and let it cool down 5 shot groups may work.

Some thinner barrels react better than others.

In fact, that's usually the main knock against them, that they're too heavy.

This worries me a little, I shouldered a heavy barrel savage today at the store and I wondered if I would be able to hold it still freehand from my stand when I hunt.

Open ladder stand?

Specs say 8 1/2 lbs for the 20" threaded version before you scope it and load it. Mine's a little heavier because I ditched the flimsy Hogue stock and put it in a B & C Medalist.

Last edited:
Barrel temperature is a significant factor in the accuracy of the shot(s). When you are hunting the barrel temperature will be the same, or nearly the same, as the air temperature. The same is true just before you take your first shot from the bench at the rifle range. As a result, the shooter must wait some time between shots to allow the barrel to cool when shooting at the rifle range. This is extremely important when developing handloads and when zeroing the rifle scope for the actual hunt. This process takes some time but it is critical maximize the accuracy of the rifle, scope and cartridge.

I've never minded the weight of a heavy barrel, still don't and I'm 69 years old. But, I don't walk miles a day over mountains when hunting. I walk to a stand or site where I lie in wait of game.

Weight of rifle is pretty much all in the mind and actual physical fitness of the person in question.
If someone is outta shape, or small, like 5'10 or less, rifle weight is going to be an issue.
For the average 6'+ redneck, unless they're out of shape, rifle weight means very little.

Most hunters aren't stalking anymore. They're up in a Tree Lounge, comfy as heck,
with a padded seat and a camo wrap-around to cut the wind & hide 'em.
Not to mention the Hot Hands Heaters & Electric Socks & whatall...
I've even seen some with an Umbrella that wraps around the tree above 'em!!

Altho, if they're not complaining about the 18-lb case of beer they carried out to the stand,
why would they complain about the much lighter less-than 10-lb rifle?? :D

Back