New Marlin 1895 Guide Gun

drive_sideways

On my way home from my parents in northern VT stopped in Plattsburgh NY at Gander Mountain, who is unfortunately closing shop :/
I was able to get quite a deal though, brand new Marlin 1895 Guide Gun blued/walnut for $509 (MSRP of $750).
I personally think I got a pretty good deal, and they have quite a few good deals on rifles, shotguns and handguns (if you have a NY State pistol permit).
Can't wait to take her to the range and on a bear and deer hunt this fall in New York's Catskill range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in the Catskill Mtns we have lots of ticks who will great you !! Take care !

I was down in Delhi a month ago cutting wood for this fall at camp.
Was able to do a little scouting since it was my first time there.
Needless to say I'm excited, lots of animal sign (bear scat everywhere) and saw a couple of doe.
Didn't get any ticks on me then, but I hear they are really bad down there...

What caliber is your Guide Gun? I had one in 450 Marlin, and it had very big recoil. I hope you like it.

What caliber is your Guide Gun? I had one in 450 Marlin, and it had very big recoil. I hope you like it.

45/70.
Very diverse when it comes to ammunition, from light loads for deer to ones that'll knock over big grizzlies like buffalo bores offerings which is completely unnecessary where I lie lol.
For regular hunting I'm going to stick with probably the Remington core-lokt 405 grain since where I hunt specifically my shots will be within 50 yards for the most part, maybe 75 max.
Hornady's seem nice but the big flat nose soft points from Remington will be better for brush busting I would think.

6d7fad0fe693371108339373e072b1e2.jpg

# 1 for ticks and Lyme is PA especially NE like Pike Co. [Catskills too ]

My experience for factory 45-70 is that the 300 gr standard is too fragile ,like a 2" entrance hole closer than 100 yds. A premium lie Barnes or others works well ! Good penetration , accurate, and lighter recoil. Somebody did make a 350 which was loaded hot. And of course a 405. No need for a 500 gr.

# 1 for ticks and Lyme is PA especially NE like Pike Co. [Catskills too ]

My experience for factory 45-70 is that the 300 gr standard is too fragile ,like a 2" entrance hole closer than 100 yds. A premium lie Barnes or others works well ! Good penetration , accurate, and lighter recoil. Somebody did make a 350 which was loaded hot. And of course a 405. No need for a 500 gr.

Any experience with Grizzly Cartridge Co.?
They have 400 grain jsp that goes 2000 fps and 3600 ft-lb energy at the muzzle...
Sounds to be a bit overkill for deer but on a blackie hunt or maybe on big hogs they sound like they would work quite well...

I have a 40 year old M1895 that I've killed quite a few deer with over the years. I load the Speer 400 grain JSP and it is one great deer slayer and accurate to boot. I've fired 100 yard groups as small as 1" with that good rifle. It came with a hard, crescent butt plate. I had it fitted with a shotgun BP to help my sore shoulders.

I have a 40 year old M1895 that I've killed quite a few deer with over the years. I load the Speer 400 grain JSP and it is one great deer slayer and accurate to boot. I've fired 100 yard groups as small as 1" with that good rifle. It came with a hard, crescent butt plate. I had it fitted with a shotgun BP to help my sore shoulders.

I haven't gotten into handloading (yet) I would like to though.
Right now work/school on top of being married keeps me pretty busy.
Did u load em pretty hot?

I have a newer guide gun. Most accurate factory load has been the 325gr Hornaday leverlotion loads. Its also the most accurate bullet to use when reloading. no problem having 3 bullets touching at 100 yards.

Nice rifle. Does it have the ported barrel? I don't like ported barrels but if the price were right I could get over it real quick.

I had a 22" 45/70 Marlin a few years ago. And it was accurate. The first 3 shot at 100 with Remington 300gr hollow points were all touching. It had a cheap 4 power scope (Tasco) and by the time I had fired 15 rounds it was all over the paper. That round destroyed that scope. But Cabelas made it good. I just shot open sights after that.

I decided to reduce the load to a 300gr bullet at around 1600 fps instead of 2025 fps and that really helped with recoil. I shot one deer with the reduced load and the deer just fell over sideways with its legs sticking straight out like it had been hit by lightning. I guess in a way it had been. But I sold it. there really wasn't anything needed that big of a gun for that my other guns wouldn't handle.

Was at Grices, in Clearfield, PA this morning. Looks like all Marlin levers are drastically marked down. 1894, 1895 & 336's all between $449 and $479, from original prices on some, as high as $749. Something up with Marlin?

Is there a rebate on these guns? I was putzing around on Buds recently, and I think I remember seeing them on sale and/or with a mention of a rebate. Might be worth a shot.

Nice rifle. Does it have the ported barrel? I don't like ported barrels but if the price were right I could get over it real quick.

I had a 22" 45/70 Marlin a few years ago. And it was accurate. The first 3 shot at 100 with Remington 300gr hollow points were all touching. It had a cheap 4 power scope (Tasco) and by the time I had fired 15 rounds it was all over the paper. That round destroyed that scope. But Cabelas made it good. I just shot open sights after that.

I decided to reduce the load to a 300gr bullet at around 1600 fps instead of 2025 fps and that really helped with recoil. I shot one deer with the reduced load and the deer just fell over sideways with its legs sticking straight out like it had been hit by lightning. I guess in a way it had been. But I sold it. there really wasn't anything needed that big of a gun for that my other guns wouldn't handle.

No ported barrel, short 18.5" barrel though.
Which is perfect for where I hunt, dense brush, all close range.
I would like to at some point hunt moose up in Maine, this gun would be perfect for that.
It may be a bit much for deer, if there is such a thing as too much....
But I got a decent deal and if there are factory rebates, that's even better.

Was at Grices, in Clearfield, PA this morning. Looks like all Marlin levers are drastically marked down. 1894, 1895 & 336's all between $449 and $479, from original prices on some, as high as $749. Something up with Marlin?

Not sure, but those are good deals though.
Mine was $750 and I got it for a little over $500 after taxes and everything.
Would like to get my wife a 336 she really likes how they shoot, and she hunts to.
Every Marlin I shot I've loved.

The 45-70 has always been my favorite cartridge since I can remember.I thought I would never get to have one,and if I did get it sooner I wouldn't have near as many guns as I do today.I was fortunate to get one about 10 years ago a 26 in cowboy model.I won't part with it.A hard cast 300-350 at 1800 fps or so will work for just about anything east of the Mississippi.

Back