New Mammoth Cave NP signs

You might be right, but I see nothing in the law that makes it clear.

It has "walls and a roof" but is it a "structure"? I would argue that it's not.

The law doesn't say "it has a roof and walls", it's says "STRUCTURE with walls and a roof."

I don't know how a court will define "structure" but the common definitions seem to require that a "structure" is something that is built, in it's entirety.

I could be wrong. The law itself, however, is far from clear. Unless a court says otherwise, I would say that cave where someone added walls and a roof is not a "structure".

So you would say that the Cheyenne Mountain cave wasn't a facility? Yes, they have buildings inside of it and doors outside of it, so is the cave a facility? It isn't a structure by your perspective.

DNS said:
So you would say that the Cheyenne Mountain cave wasn't a facility? Yes, they have buildings inside of it and doors outside of it, so is the cave a facility? It isn't a structure by your perspective.

Well, I've never been there, but if it were up to me, yes, I would say that it's not a building or federal "facility". If there are actual buildings inside of it, complete buildings, then you can go in the cave with a gun but not in the ACTUAL buildings, based on this law.

I don't call a cave a "building", "structure" or "facility". Now, if the whole cave was all walls and floor and roof of man-made "structure", enclosed like any other building would be, then I'd say, yeah, it's a federal building... but its a building INSIDE a cave which is NOT a building.

If it were up to me then there would be no such discussion at all, since I would make no such senseless, arbitrary distinction. Alas, it is not up to me, and you may well be right, but I'd like to see how a court actually defines the space.... and no, I have no interest in being the test case.

Well, I've never been there, but if it were up to me, yes, I would say that it's not a building or federal "facility".

Well, NORAD certainly considers Cheyenne Mountain a facility. http://www.norad.mil/about/CMOC.html

Either way, the bottom line is fairly well explained here, http://www.recreation.gov/camping/M...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70947, facilities where guns are not allowed in the Mammoth Cave Park are marked with signs. If the cave is marked with a sign, then it would be off limits. If the visitor center is marked with a sign, then it is off limits. Areas not marked would not be off limits.

Back