New Mammoth Cave NP signs

Are you surprised?

This is actually a good thing, IMHO. Now that the law allows concealed carry in national parks, but still does NOT allow concealed carry (or firearms in general) in federal facilities (i.e. buildings), this is alerting visitors to the park that they can't bring their lawfully-carried guns inside the building.

I think eventually we need to do way with the prohibition against carry inside the buildings but, until that happens, I don't think a reminder to keep people out of trouble is a bad thing.

Since I don't own any firearms that look even remotely like that, does that mean the sign doesn't apply to me?

(No, didn't think so. Just checking.)

How do they justify a cave as a building or facility?

I think that is the point.... since when did we have a federal park building with miles and miles of 'trails' inside it?

To me "facility" implies that there is "official" govt business going on inside. Somehow a cave doesn't really come to mind.
However, maybe they are searching for the congress' approval rating inside?

I went to the V.A. hospital yesterday and they have a new sign at the entrance to the parking lot that says no firearms or weapons allowed in the property. That's going to be a real hardship for me because the hospital is about midway between home and the range, and I have often combined a trip to the range with a stop at the hospital. If I can't park on the site with firearms in the vehicle, that isn't going to work.

Next trip I'll have to remember to stop by the campus police office and speak with a supervisor.

No different than the post office...

technically one can't have a weapon in their vehicle on postal property....

here is the logic the pencil pushers backed by their lawyers use.....

if they don't put up a sign or make a rule banning a weapon from their property then they are giving you consent to have it and then when you go postal they will be found liable for it....

Since any of the caves are not buildings, I assume that carry inside the caves and outside the visitors center is OK.
I can't remember, do you have to go inside to purchase tickets?

Sign doesn't say you can't bring in Swords or other 'large' Knives? Guess they can't hurt you like an evil gun can??

Federal signs cover guns and other weapons, If I remember correctly any knife under X.XX (corrected to 2.5 inches) inch blade length is not considered a weapon. I am sure there are also exemptions for kitchen/work knives and the like but do not recall the wording.

Last edited:
To me "facility" implies that there is "official" govt business going on inside. Somehow a cave doesn't really come to mind.

And under the law covering what was posted on the sign

(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

Since Mammoth Cave has been humanly modified to be a structure where federal employees are present for the purpose of performing their official duties, it would qualify as a federal facility.

Sorry, but I think it's you. It's a generic semi-automatic pistol shape, complete with no trigger: anti-art.

So because NPS bicycle signs show a bike without spokes or a chain, they would be anti-bike art as well? :rolleyes:

Sign doesn't say you can't bring in Swords or other 'large' Knives? Guess they can't hurt you like an evil gun can??
Go ahead and give it a try. I don't think anyone would buy the lame argument that since "swords or other 'large' Knives" aren't specifically listed that they aren't included under "dangerous weapons."

Under the law cited on the sign, your sword or other large knives are most definitely excluded.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, but I think it's you. It's a generic semi-automatic pistol shape, complete with no trigger: anti-art.

So because NPS bicycle signs show a bike without spokes or a chain, they would be anti-bike art as well?

Yep, and because the news reader on channel 8 wore a blue striped shirt the space ships are due to arrive in a week.

I was thinking the 007 logo ( the gun is pointing the wrong way though )

Is that just me, or is the gun icon a Luger?
Looks like a Buckmark to me, that needs a little work.

Might add that in Iowa, Lately these signs are popping up, all over the place. Our local newspaper has one on it's front door. At the last Gun Show, I asked the state trooper at the door, if they were going allow CCW folks to carry inside after the first of the year? Basically his response was; Why Not ??

Be Safe !!!

I think eventually we need to do way with the prohibition against carry inside the buildings but, until that happens, I don't think a reminder to keep people out of trouble is a bad thing.
Its not a reminder. The way the new law was written, they can't prosecute you for carrying in a federal building on park property unless the entrance you used had a no firearms signs or they first asked you to leave.
Every building in all the Federal parks I've been to now have those signs for that reason...

Double Naught Spy said:
Since Mammoth Cave has been humanly modified to be a structure where federal employees are present for the purpose of performing their official duties, it would qualify as a federal facility.

I'm not sure that's true... unless some judge somewhere has defined a cave as a "building, or part thereof", which is entirely possible.

Okay, then see here...

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...74UaHq&sig=AHIEtbTSB75xsqT4Vbhho3nNWnixaBxfSA

...where federal facility is a building or part thereof where federal employees are reguarly present for the purpose of performing their duties. To be a facility it must be a building or part there, building having walls and a roof (which a cave has), that is owned or leased by the federal government, and where employees regularly meet.

Mammoth Cave is owned or leased by the National Park Service, is staffed by federal employees, has walls and a ceiling.

Mammoth Cave is a federal facility.

Back