New K31 -- I am impressed with this rifle!

Beautiful. Take an extra pair of socks to the range. The first pair are going to get blown off. :D

And thanks for selecting our mount.

Range report with scope...

Yea, somebody owes me some socks. Posted below is a picture of my first 5-shot group after apparently acquiring a zero at 100 yards. 5 shots, 100 yards and a spread of 1.067". The 6th shot I waited until things cooled down for about 25 or so minutes. It center punched the bullseye. At this point I packed things up and called it good. In shooting and in hunting it is a beautiful thing when cold bore + POA = POI. What I find most interesting is that I made no adjustments to the elevation on the scope. Its still sitting at "0" -- apparently the mount and the rings on this rifle match up perfect for 100 yards.

1st5_k31.jpg

I really like this setup. The Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 is really good. My only complaints would be eye relief and exit pupil. I'm used to looking through my Leupold Mark 4 which has lots of eye relief and a large exit pupil. The Vortex has really great optics and features. I do not think there is a better scope out there for under $200. I love it on this mount because I can use the iron sights of the weapon for close shots (less than 30 yards) and the scope for everything else.

When I got home and cleaned the rifle I double checked the mount and the rings. Still as solid as a rock and tight as could be.

I think with a little more shooting and a little luck I can start popping some sub-moa 5-shot groups.

I think with a little more shooting and a little luck I can start popping some sub-moa 5-shot groups.
They all shoot about the same and are capable of doing it.:cool:
You might try shooting longer distances with it if possible- 200,300 or more, then you will really enjoy the rifle.

MEATSAW said:
Perfect. I took some dimensions of the butt and no one makes a butt pad that is small enough. Are the butt pads adapter dimensions the same as stock? The grind-to-fit ones make me a little leery, how do you grind soft rubber?

Adding a recoil pad is very easy. You start with a over size pad and grind to fit. If you have a belt sander it's quick and easy. You can do it by hand but is more labor intensive. You use course grit sand paper and finish with fine grit. To get a nice finish on the rubber you wipe it down with Ballistol.

butt01.jpg

butt03.jpg

More SP products.

brake03.jpg

K2502.jpg

Aftermarket sights

Sahli
sahli02.jpg

Furter
PICT0021.jpg

Nice pic sequence, MadCrater. On an untouched k31 (buttstock not sanded at the buttplate roll-over) The Buttpad Adaptor is nearly a perfect profile. Yours looks good, MadCrater. Nice job.

the rifleer said:
madcratebuilder- How does that barrel damper work for you? do they work as advertised? do they really cut a group by 30+ %?

Accuracy increase was 1 moa to .8 moa +/- on best average. Possible more from reduced recoil of the brake and butt pad combo. The rifle is much more comfortable to shoot five round groups for an hour or more. Before the pad and brake at about twenty rounds I would start to anticipate the recoil and that screws accuracy. The 7.5 Swiss and 8mm Mauser both have a pretty good recoil, I'm getting to be a ***** in my old age, I use a slip on butt pad on all my bolt guns now.:D

Rifleer, our notes about decreasing group size is assuming that you have a correct load developed to begin with. If your load data is giving you unacceptable groups to begin with, I'm not sure how your rifle would react positively with the Damper.

The proven results using our Damper on a k31 are based on the projectile being a 175 gr, and no other weight. We've had emails from shooters using the3 168 SMK telling us it works just as well for that bullet weight, but the design is specifically meant for the GP11 and 175 projectile reloads. Whether or not it works well with a 150 is something I don't know.

It took nearly six months and some 35 different Damper profile, weight and placement prototypes to arrive at the one we now send to distributors. Swiss Products takes a lot of time with R&D and field testing before we ever put anything out with our name on it. Example:

Late last year our Type P/S Diopter was finally accepted by the Swiss SSV as being Swiss sanctioned for all international shoots, including in Switzerland itself. This process took a full 12 years and as many prototypes to gain acceptance. We're the only American company ever approved by Switzerland in that arena.

Interesting thing is that every single prototype submitted to the SSV disappeared into the membership of the Board of Directors, including the last one. It's considered bad form to request the Swiss return our un-approved Diopters, so their membership apparently liked even our early ones.

Our Type P/S Diopter beat the Germans and the Swiss mfg's in that it's the world's only true k31 1,000 yard Diopter that works without any rail changes at all. For an American mfg to get's it's foot in the door in Switzerland is a feat in itself, so........... Does that Damper really work? Waddayathink? :D

Meatsaw, did you take the buttplate off yet to see if you had the previous owner/issued person's tag under the plate yet? Many Swiss rifles have them. Both of my K31's did.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

That's one of things I did when I first got the rifle, but unfortunately it wasn't there.

Madcratebuilder: where did you get your cheek pad? I really like it!

So if the butt pad adaptor doesn't exactly fit the contour of the rifle is it safe to grind the adaptor to fit the rifle? Or do I have to sand the rifle to fit the adaptor? Still waiting on Brownells to send me my decelerator 550 butt pad so I can get it installed...

So if the butt pad adaptor doesn't exactly fit the contour of the rifle is it safe to grind the adaptor to fit the rifle? Or do I have to sand the rifle to fit the adaptor? Still waiting on Brownells to send me my decelerator 550 butt pad so I can get it installed...

You grind the butt pad to the size of the SP pad adapter, you don't have to touch the rifle. The SP pad adapter is the same size as the original steel butt plate.

If you Google this there are some sights that show the process.

Swiss Model 96/11, Model 1911 and K-31's Rifles

We just took in over 200 total of all three models. They remain in very good to excellent condition. Some of the K-31's are Swiss target modified with globe type front and diaopter rear sights. I like those best.
The other minor condition issue I've noticed and the reason the Swiss switched the material after 1931 is on the bolt handles of the M-1911's. They have sort of a two piece micarta knob affair to the bolt handle where the K-31's are of a two piece machined aluminum (a good, quick way to tell the differance between the two variations), a small percentage of our M-1911's show losses and cracks to these fiberous knobs. Otherwise the bores are all at least fine with just light high edge wear to blued surfaces and light knackering to stocks with some rifles exhibiting minor oil darkening to wood at metal contact points. They are all lightly importer marked. We plan on running them through various auctions until they are gone but there are just so many that I am working on our consignor to let us sell some of them outright.
When in Irvine Ca. stop in and check them out. Orange Coast Auctions 16600 Aston St. Irvine Ca. 92606

Some of the K-31's are Swiss target modified with globe type front and diaopter rear sights. I like those best.

Huh? What are they exactly? Pics?

Back