New Jersey Gun Laws?

I'll just add this,
It is illegal to have any loaded firearm inside any vehicle in New Jersey without a valid Permit/License.
(See Places off Limits about ammo specifications also.
Here is what the NRA says about New Jersey.
New Jersey has highly restrictive firearms laws. The New Jersey Supreme Court has ruled that anyone traveling within the state is deemed to be aware of these regulations and will be held strictly accountable for violations. (End NRA Statement)

And by valid permit/license they mean concealed carry, not FID. You'll get a cc license in NJ about the time I win the lottery and get struck by lightning at the same time.

It is illegal to have any loaded firearm inside any vehicle in New Jersey without a valid Permit/License.

Yes, that is misleading since there is no CCW at the present time. It is against the law to have a loaded gun in your car, PERIOD. Ammo in locked container separate from firearm. Only legal to have guns in car if going to or from range or to gunsmith, etc. Get the FOID card and that will eliminate a lot of potential problems. Do as NJGunowner said...don't have mags in your possession over 15 rounds.

Most others cleared up the misconception about NJ...

You should do what I did and buy the book on NJ Handgun Laws (sold on lulu.com I think). It's written by a NJ lawyer who specializes in this stuff. It provides the laws AND plain English explanations of what they mean, including things that usually trip people up.

I'll add a few caveats:

(1) it is very likely you own something that WOULD be illegal in NJ
-- for example, do not bring any magazines with capacities over 15 rounds in to NJ
-- also, your 'black rifles' better not have (a) an adjustable stock, (b) bayonet lug, or (c) a compensator -- any of those on top of having a pistol grip add up to an 'assault' rifle in NJ --- this is why most manufacturers make special NJ/CA compliant versions of their AR-15's and the like... to be sure to avoid these common items for NJ [you can have your adjustable style stock, but it has to be PINNED into position and not adjustable]
-- there are rules covering shotguns as well, but I don't know them offhand.

(2) you need a FOID to buy ammo. You also need a FOID to buy pretty much any gun in NJ. In addition, to BUY (not possess) a handgun, you'd need a handgun purchaser's permit. I don't think you need anything to POSSESS a handgun, but I'm no lawyer. To be on the safe side of things, I had my wife get her FOID just in case. You should do the same with your significant others.

(3) forget about ever carrying in NJ, unless you are on the police force

That NJ law prohibiting HP bullets in the commission of a crime just goes to show how the anti-gun liberals think.

Do they actually think a criminal is going to plan his crime and think, "oh that's right, I better not use the HP bullets, they're illegal here" ?

That's how they come up with the reasoning that more laws prohibiting use of guns will reduce crime.

If you can stand the commute, move to PA.

I was reading this thread the other day. I had thought hollows were illegal in nj. Well it sounds like the law is sort of like the signs: "It is a felony to illegally possess a firearm on these premises"(basically if you are a legal gun owner and/or CCW then it is ok).

the law does help giving real bad criminals more time in the pen w/extra charges but it seems rather pointless...just glad the avergae joe Can carry hollows because that is all I carry.

NJ gunowner has it pretty much covered. The only thing that I would change is the part about Police Officers not knowing the law about guns. Being a Police Officer in New Jersey, I know our state's gun laws as do most of my department's officers. I agree that there are Police Officers that do not know the laws when it comes to firearms, but I make sure that every officer in my department understands the laws when it comes to firearms. If you really get down to it, there are Police Officers out there that shouldn't even be Police Officers. Just didn't want to be bunched in with those folks. Also, I encourage every law abiding citizen to purchase and be properly trained in the safe handling of their weapon. And yes, they do look at me like I'm crazy because the state makes people feel like it's a bad thing to own a gun.

Back