New High Tech Army "Rifle" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one time I believe tthat a 25mm round was considered for the OICW but was rejected in favor of the 20mm because of weight and recoil factors. The technology of the proposed 25mm round was the same as that used in the current 20mm.
A 25mm version may be developed as a crew served weapon replacing the SAWS in the rifle squad and as a vehicle mounted weapon.

I am updating this post because of some new informatopn obtained from Army PR releases and supplied by other TFL members, (we are a clever and knowledgeable bunch! I learn something new every time i visit TFL.)
o the OICW may be changing its name to the "Selectable Assaukt Battle Rifle (SABR)"
o The OICW prototypes have 12 inch 5.56mm barrels. Muzzle velocity of standard NaTO 5.56mm ammunition will be 2,500 to 2,600 feet per second.
o The 5.56mm weapon will ose current M16 magazines or a similar improved version.
o The 20mm weapon has a 13.5 inch barrel. It has a muzzle velocity on 760 feet per second.
o The 20mm HE round projectile weighs 2.8 ounces
o The complete 20mm HE round weighs 3.2 ounces
o The 20mm magazine holds 6 rounds
0 The current date for initial isue to troops is now 2007

I just read an Army PR release that says the 25mm crew served weapon is in development.

[This message has been edited by Hard Ball (edited February 24, 2000).]

I guess the Army has a parallel R&D project called the "TIR", Truss, Infantry, Reusable. ;)

I like that grenade pumpgun EchoFiveMike mentioned. simple and powerful.

dZ, rather than redesign a squad, I'd look at a smaller bunch, lets say 6 guys;
- one NCO with the radio
- one marksman with a scoped M1A or AR-10
- one grenadier with that pump-action already mentioned, or
- one SAW gunner
- 3 riflemen with M16A2s
so every team has an accuracy weapon and an area weapon as well as plain old rifles. the platoon would have two teams w/ grenadiers and two w/ SAWs, and an "HQ" team with the LT and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back