New Heritage .22 16"

hmm.. that brings up a question.. the atf measures barrel length from breech face to end of permanent barrel.
I can't find anything specific on revolvers.. so 'breech' face on a revolver would include the cylinder?

Ah.. nevermind.. found this hidden on atf website..
'When measuring a revolver barrel, the distance parallel to the bore axis from the rear of the forcing cone to the farthest end of the muzzle represents the length of the barrel.'

The "Johnny Boy" "case hardened" look finish has been an option for the Rough Riders for a very long time....possibly as long as the RR they were made?

It's what Mattel Fanner 50 cap guns were made of.
That said, it can be an adequate material for low cost guns.
It's (ZAMAK) also what Hi-Point slides are made from. Those guns proven nearly indestructible in the youtube videos by iraqveteran8888.
Run over by a big truck, 25%, and 50% over maxim loaded rounds, bolts being hammered into the bore. Stuff like that which the ZAMAK slide, and polymer frame held up to.

16 inch barrel for $150 I think I would buy it just because. I see it as a range toy or fun in the sun on a trip to the desert.

It's (ZAMAK) also what Hi-Point slides are made from. Those guns proven nearly indestructible in the youtube videos by iraqveteran8888.
Run over by a big truck, 25%, and 50% over maxim loaded rounds, bolts being hammered into the bore. Stuff like that which the ZAMAK slide, and polymer frame held up to.
Don't try to talk sense to the gray haired purists, they think everything must be made from steels hard as a rock, mined from Mt. Olympus with Thor's lightening hammer and the finest wood available. Anything less and it's a cheaply made, potentially dangerous piece of crap.

I find it hilarious that the same people who believe everything must be steel and wood were praising the Ruger Wrangler, which is most definitely NOT made with steel and wood, but because it's Ruger made.

I work with metals every day. I have worked on guns for 45+ years.
As I said, Zamak is adequate for some guns. As in the Hi-Point, the slides have to be oversized, and have steel breech inserts. Zamak is a way to make serviceable guns very cheaply.

As far as strength, Zamak and zinc alloys don't have much. The material is brittle and soft at the same time. Zinc alloys don't bend at all-they break. Until they break, they usually work fine.
In years past, zinc alloys were tried for making slides for pocket pistols. These slides were the same size/shape as the original steel slides. They usually broke. Zinc requires mass to have strength, but it still wears badly..

Driving a bolt into a steel barrel proves nothing, BTW.

If you think Hi Points are fine firearms, that's ok by me.

Driving a bolt into a steel barrel proves nothing, BTW.
A bolt driven solidly into the bore, then the gun fired with a round loaded 50% over maximum without the slide flying apart certainly does mean something!
Have you even watched the series of youtube videos that I referenced.
Bottom line, in the last video where again a bolt was driven tightly into the bore, and a 50% overload round chambered after the slide was c-clamped to the frame, then fired they finally blew up the Hi-Point. But not the slide. The polymer frame let go...finally.
I think there is a significant difference in the zinc, aluminum, magnesiom, copper alloy ZAMAK used today, and the mostly zinc "pot metal" of Mattel toys.
Yes, I have a Hi-Point. Actually two. I first bought a C9 just to see if they were possibly as bad as all the gun snob hate claimed. I was beyon pleasantly surprised at how accurate, and reliable they are. So much so that when I found a good deal n a 45acp my del I gotta that that too.
My Heritage Rough Rider experience is much the same. Again, just bought one mostly because of the gun snob hate. Again quite pleasantly surprised, and afdded a 3 1/2" Birds Head model to go with my 6 1 /6" gun.
my only complaint, like many others, is the unnecessary, ugly safety lever!

Cheapshooter- you seem to think that Zamak is some kind of noble metal. It's not-it's still just a zinc alloy with all the properties I espoused.
Whether HiPoint guns blow up has nothing to do with that.

Nope, I know it is a low cost, easy to diecast metal. I also know from several of the torture test videos from cardio s people that it isn't glass fragile as you make it out to be either.
It is what it is. A low cost alternative for lower cost guns.

Cheapshooter- you seem to think that Zamak is some kind of noble metal. It's not-it's still just a zinc alloy with all the properties I espoused.
Whether HiPoint guns blow up has nothing to do with that.
You talk as if Zamak/zinc alloys are all the same. The products of the "old days" are different than modern ones. The composition and percentages used in the alloys have changed over the years as have the manufacturing techniques. I have or have had Zamac/zinc alloy guns in 38 Special, 9MM and 22 caliber. On some of them, the only way I could tell what they were not steel was to use a magnet. I have had no issues with any of them.

My biggest gripe with the zamak frame of the Heritage RR is that solvents used to clean it can potentially remove the finish from the frame. The zamak frame is painted since it won't take bluing.

I was looking at one in the case at my local lgs last night. I would be more interested if Ruger made one as a single six.
Well, since you have actually seen one with your own eyes, I guess I will believe that it isn't some kind of joke they are pulling.

With a 16" barrel I guess it would be legal to put a stock on it. That might be fun with the .22 WMR Adjustable sights version.

I found a place that had some in stock, so I went ahead and bought one.. $160 shipped.. don't have it yet, as it is in the cali '10 day cooling off period even though I already own a pile of other guns'.
Since taurus ate heritage, they have dropped their oversized grip replacement for rr22's.. which sucks since the stock grip is original colt sized.. tiny, so my pinky finger curls up underneath..
I found a place on gunsamerica that has a pile of old colt scout oversized target grips that they claim to have modified to fit the heritage rr22's.. for $20 its worth a shot..

Someone mentioned a detachable shoulder stock,,,

Someone mentioned a detachable shoulder stock,,,
Would that be permissible per the BATF?

I have a soft spot for revolving carbines,,,
Even if the stock wasn't detachable,,,
I would buy a carbine model.

I have purchased and gifted away three Heritage revolvers now,,,
One of the people has shot 100 rounds through it almost every weekend for over three years.

Its finish is a little beaten up due to some rough handling,,,
But the action is still just a tight as the day it was new.

Aarond

Back