New Heritage .22 16"

tickTalk

So, Heritage says they have a new revolver coming out, a .22lr with 16" barrel.
(search for rr22b16) most online gun sellers have a place for it, none in stock.. don't know if the initial run all sold out, or they just aren't out yet. It does have an 'are you kidding' type appearance, and prices are around $150.
I have a few Heritage revolvers, but only the srr models (steel frame). This new model is only with the alloy frame.. but really, does that matter?

I have sent several emails to Heritage asking if they will offer this (or even their 9 inch model) with the steel frame.. they haven't bothered to even acknowledge getting the emails, which is typical for Heritage Manufacturing customer service, or lack thereof..

It's click bait. They aren't really making it. At least that is my understanding. If they decided to make a Buntline (12") I would be in line with my card in hand.:eek::)

Last edited:
As long as they put adjustable sights on it, I'm game.

Right now the longest barrel they offer is 9.5" and that's pretty long. I'd get one, but it's stuck with the traditional fixed sights.

I was looking at one in the case at my local lgs last night. I would be more interested if Ruger made one as a single six.

I am actually more interested in if anyone has anything to say on the alloy vs steel frame for .22's...
Purists and gun snobs will claim it' the worst thing to ever disgrace the gun industry. But in reality, they work just fine. I don't have a round count for my two RRs other than "a bunch", but they still shoot as good as ever.

It's the cover of their 2019 catalog.. https://www.heritagemfg.com/images/Heritage_Catalog_Spring_2019.pdf

And they had it at shot show..

I am actually more interested in if anyone has anything to say on the alloy vs steel frame for .22's...
Thanks for the catalog link, this is probably the most up to day compiling of all the current Heritage products.

I can't understand why they don't make the bird's head models with 9 round cylinders. I'd buy one and would just want the .22 Mag cylinder only.

page 7 of the pdf has the 'color case hardened'.. it isn't really, it is just some kind of finish.. I think it is like that oil based floating paint dip stuff.. pietta does the same thing on their saa models

for the alloy vs steel thing.. I was thinking of the saturday night specials, the ones with the low temp melting point so you could use it then melt it down to get rid of everything but the barrel ;) illegal in a lot of places now (strangely, CA does not have a melting point law) assuming it was a similar alloy (zincan or something like that), if it can stand up to a .38 spc, then I don't see how a .22lr would have any effect at all.

Where does it say that it's case hardened?
Under the specification of "finish". Just like other companies do when they have a finish that looks like case hardening, but isn't. The specification also clearly says "alloy model"

And, "alloy" in this instance means die-cast zinc, or an alloy thereof, like Zamak.
Zamak is very easy to cast into intricate shapes, and requires little to no finish machining. It is usually adequate for low cost guns. It can't be blued, so it must be painted of plated. Die cast zinc has absolutely no flexibility-it breaks. It also wears terribly as it is very soft.
It's what Mattel Fanner 50 cap guns were made of.
That said, it can be an adequate material for low cost guns.

page 7 of the pdf has the 'color case hardened'.. it isn't really, it is just some kind of finish.. I think it is like that oil based floating paint dip stuff.. pietta does the same thing on their saa models

for the alloy vs steel thing.. I was thinking of the saturday night specials, the ones with the low temp melting point so you could use it then melt it down to get rid of everything but the barrel ;) illegal in a lot of places now (strangely, CA does not have a melting point law) assuming it was a similar alloy (zincan or something like that), if it can stand up to a .38 spc, then I don't see how a .22lr would have any effect at all.
I bought my Rough Rider in 2013 with a case hardened finish. I looks authentic and it still looks and performs like new. What more do you want?

Ha.. I want an indestructible steel frame with a set of screw-in barrels ranging in length from 4 to 16 inches, a grip that actually fits my oversized hand, a 9 round cylinder, adjustable front and rear sights, and the letter Q to be banished from the english alphabet.

OK, I can handle that. Send money. Lots of money. My only kwestion is why you wanted to get rid of a kwaint old symbol. It sounds a bit kweer to me.

"...alloy vs steel frame for .22's..." Makes little or no difference. Except for the type of finish put on. And that makes even less difference.
"...looks like case hardening..." Forget who it was, probably Birchwood Casey, but some company made a liquid that gave the case hardening look.
Doesn't the ATF think "with 16" barrel" makes it an evil short barreled rifle?

Back