New Heizer Defense .410 pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskabushman

Okay, I know when we first saw the Tuarus Judge that we just "Knew" it wouldnt sell (at least I didnt). Turns out a lot of people decided they wanted one and it is still one of Tuarus' best sellers. Obviously there is a market (however small) for a handgun that can accept .410 shells/.45 Colt. Heizer Defense (you may remember them from introducing the "Double Tap" derringer style pistol a year or so ago) has come out with their own pocket sized single shot version. I have strongly mixed feelings, would it be useful? Would it be effective? My instinct says no. Retailing for $500 seems a bit high, you can buy a compact Mossberg or Remington 12 Ga for easily this much. A nice compact 9mm carry gun with 6-7 rounds on tap will set you back less than $500. So is it really necessary?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/08/21/first-look-heizer-defense-pocket-shotgun/

Take a look and tell me what you think. Will you be lining up to buy one?

I would consider it a novelty only, and I have other things I would rather spend my money on. I can't thing of a single thing it would do that another firearm wouldn't do better.

Agree with Tailgator ... $500 for a fairly substantial, slow-to-reload handgun ... there are a bunch of far better choices, for far less money .. I'd take a .380 any day .. it's certainly better than nothing, but it's darn close ...

5,000 rounds without a fail, the man said.

What is to fail on a single-shot?

If he wanted to produce something interesting, why not a Semmerling clone at an affordable price?

I will not speak badly of it. I am sure it is a high quality gun. As well as a well made one, with great fit, and finish.

I will not be spending my hard earned money on one. For that much I would buy a Ruger LCP equipped with a LaserGuard, and enough components to load a whole lot of rounds.

If I were going with a derringer I would get a Bond Arms, that I have the option of shooting .45 Colt out of as well.

No. The guns n' ammo budget is a zero-sum-game, and this ain't in it.
But an interesting idea for wilderness light carry. Still it's $$$$ compared to viable alternatives.

I bought an old heavy duty Czech/Polish 26.5mm flare gun for $70.00 and then a barrel insert for $40.00. It is not an easy carry but has in excess of a four inch rifled .410/.45colt insert barrel. The .410 covers a paper plate with a fired 3 inch round. The .45 colt also hits the paper plate buts keyholes like crazy. The range was about five yards. There is very little recoil.

I doubt the little handgun can do any better with accuracy and/or recoil.

I also have a .22 rimfire insert and a 12gauge flare insert for the flare gun. They were about 20 bucks each. You can get the 12gauge flares from Walmart and the 26.5 mm flares online. Beware, the online flares have a hazardous shipping cost. I will post some picture if desired. :cool:

Picture of the better idea. LOL

At top of picture is holster/case which handles all the below rounds in various numbers plus the insert barrels. I have mine filled with the flare gun, three insert barrels, 1 parachute flare, one 12 gauge flare, multiple .410/45colt and a few .22 rounds. I also have a round in each insert barrel.

The second row is a 26.5mm parachute flare, 12 gauge flare, 45 colt round, and a 3" birdshot round.

It is all steel with exception of grips, and the pictured flare gun is dated 1950 & marked on the gun along with a serial number.

Bottom row is the 45colt/410 barrel insert, .22 rimfire insert, and a flare adapter for 26.5 conversion to 12gauge. Do not attempt firing with 12 gauge shotgun round.

All the components do not require an FFL, but the flare gun with a non-flare insert is considered by law a firearm.

This is not a great firearm; although survivalist might like it. I normally use it as a boat gun. My normal routine is camera strap around neck, flare gun case strap on shoulder, water bottle in hand and fifty foot walk from house to boathouse.

Attachments

• Flare Gun.jpg
    Flare Gun.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 70
It doesn't look particularly ergonomic.

heizerdefense410singleshot_zps209aa6e3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One shot's all you got so you'd better make it a good one.

A $500 single shot handgun for self-defense? Nope.

I don't mind spending $500 for a self-defense handgun, but the single shot feature is a deal-breaker for me especially when I can go out and get a 9mm or .40S&W semi-auto pistol (Glock, XD, etc.) that'll give me the ability to fire 10-17 shots, depending on the model and caliber, without having to reload in a package that is not much larger than the Heizer offering. The Heizer .410 single shot pistol is, for all that, simply unsuitable for the role of self-defense. The video in the OP's link above also shows the Heizer .410 pistol being used to break clays mid-air.

Heizer seems to have come up with a gun that is all at once completely unsuitable for both self-defense and shooting a round of clays. How novel. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I saw one @ the LGS and the owner tried to convince me I needed one. The conversation went like this.

I got one of those new Double Taps in. You would love that

No thinks. It's just too ugly for me.

But it's just a tool so that doesn't matter.

That's true. It is just a tool, but a nice looking tool is just as effective for defense and not butt-ugly.

and the next step is . . .

So does this raise the thought that maybe someone out there is working on a semiautomatic pistol that will shoot 410?
Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back