New handgun user training?

Thanks. There are some things I am not as proficient in as I would like to be due to time :(. The major concern I have is how I will react when it actually does happen. I train and go over and over what I would do and how in my head. However when SHTF and I am under serious stress I wonder how I would actually react. My situational awarness is always good. Im looking for more training by the way. Any very intensive Combat Handgun schools you recommend fiddletown, I dont care if I have to travel. I went to two in my area, one was kind of half-a$$ed the other was very helpful. However, I know there are top notch classes out there and want to take one of the best. I would really like to try those simmunitions. Any recommendations?

To start with I'd practice handgun target shooting at between 15-25 feet. Of course this depends a little on what type of handgun you are shooting. Smaller "pocket pistols" intended for concealed carry are made for closer range shooting. Heavier, full-sized target guns are capable of longer range accuracy.

To start with, I'd stick with the fundamentals - slow, controlled two handed shooting, concentrating on smooth trigger pull without flinching. There is a chart that tells you, fairly accurately, what "bad habits" you are using in firing a pistol, depending on where your shot lands in relation to the target center. Here is an example of a "Handgun Correction Target" chart:
correction.jpg

The only way to gain control over your gun and obtain accuracy and constancy is to practice and study what you are doing wring with each shot. This, safe gun handling, and being comfortable and familiar with your firearm are the three things you really need to work on first, before moving on to other intermediate or advanced techniques.

TylerD45acp, They say you will fight as you train. They say you will act on autopilot with enough training and the way you have trained when surprised. In the few times I have been so surprised, I have responded as trained. My reactions automatic yet under control from my brain as to shooting or not shooting. Very weird feeling but definitely makes me feel that with enough repetition you will react and fight as trained.

In one of my incidents a man pulled what turned out to be a bb gun from under his left arm ala shoulder holster. He then pointed it at my coworker before finally asking to pawn it. He was wearing a trench coat and it wasn't very cold outside at the time. When I saw his hand going under the jacket headed for a potential firearm, I began to draw (without thinking). As I recognized the gun I was climbing his leg with my pistol (I had his profile). I remember thinking front site front site over and over plus how skinny he was plus fearing a miss would allow my coworker to get shot plus how slow I felt and finally that the gun was a bb gun so don't shoot. All these things in around 1/2 second, the time it took me to draw back then.

At the time I would say front site in my head during practice and focus on placing that site on target before firing. I would also draw dozens of times a day while at work.

Moral of the story is they are right you will likely fight as you train.

TylerD45ACP said:
...There are some things I am not as proficient in as I would like to be due to time . The major concern I have is how I will react when it actually does happen. I train and go over and over what I would do and how in my head. However when SHTF and I am under serious stress I wonder how I would actually react. My situational awarness is always good. Im looking for more training by the way. Any very intensive Combat Handgun schools you recommend fiddletown, I dont care if I have to travel. I went to two in my area, one was kind of half-a$$ed the other was very helpful. However, I know there are top notch classes out there and want to take one of the best. I would really like to try those simmunitions. Any recommendations?
I certainly support getting additional training.

I've taken three classes at Gunsite, just north of Prescott, Arizona; and I highly recommend them. There have excellent facilities and excellent instructors. I recently took the Intermediate Handgun class there and wrote this article. You don't get into simunitions until some of the more advanced classes, however.

I also recommend classes from Massad Ayoob. He's especially strong covering the legal side of the use of force.

I've also taken classes from Louis Awerbuck. He's an excellent instructor as well.

I've heard good things about Thunder Ranch, John Farnam, Tom Givens and the Firearms Academy of Seattle, but have no personal experience.

Taking classes is a good way to learn to perform under stress. Classes can be stressful because you're being expected to perform amongst strangers, and no one likes to embarrass himself. And IDPA or USPSA competition is also a good way to get practice performing under stress.

Maybe some other cans suggest some other schools. You start a thread asking for suggestions.

Back