New guy suggestions.

Consider the Glock 26 9mm as mentioned above. I really like mine, and my Wife can also shoot it, although she prefers her Sig P238 .380.
The G26 is built on the Baby Glock frame. Nice size for concealment.

i was hoping to get some pointers on where to start.
Howdy Top! Welcome to TFL!

Any plans on getting the two kids involved or are they too young?
If they aren't too young, then maybe a .22 rifle @ this point is a good idea.

You pretty much have the home defense covered with the shotgun & being in California more or less rules out carry.

I understand all the people suggesting revolvers, but disagree. From what I've seen, it's much easier for a new shooter to be effective with a semi auto pistol.

Choose an M&P 9, a Glock 19, a Walther PPQ, Springfield XD, CZ P01.... etc. Something decent in 9mm without a safety, and you'll be good to go.

I'd say get a 38 revolver, something like a S&W J-frame or perhaps a Ruger. The S&W's run around $400 with decent sights. The Poly-Frame Rugers are a good bet also. Forget the semi-auto for a first gun.

S&W Model 10. Unless your hands are enormous or tiny, provides a good grip for most people. Simple operation and if it doesn't go "bang", pull the trigger again. In my opinion, autos are too complicated for new shooters/people who only shoot occasionally. Many people buy a gun, practice with it, and it sits in the drawer for months/years until needed. No time for a refresher course....

jackstrawIII said:
I understand all the people suggesting revolvers, but disagree. From what I've seen, it's much easier for a new shooter to be effective with a semi auto pistol.

Wheel guns are real guns, they are, almost, always more accurate and much, much simpler than semi autos for new shooters. I respect your opinion though. I suggested an L frame .357 just because you can practice with mouse fart 148 gr .38 loads yet shoot 125 gr .357 loads that can easily take down a deer at closer distances. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Hello and welcome toppy. I have to agree wholeheartedly with the suggestions for a quality medium or small frame revolver capable of using the 38 Special cartridge. Within my humble experience, new shooters do not need to deal with the complexity of a semi-auto. FWIW, several of the women in my extended family, who could have whatever firearm they wanted, chose S&W J-frame 5-shot 38 Spcl. revolvers. All have shot various semi-autos, but they all chose small, light, uncomplicated revolvers for their own use.

My wife and I are looking to add a handgun to our home defense plans (and to shoot for fun)

Do not buy a small frame .38 for range fun. They excel at conceal carry and that is it.

When asked that basic question, I always recommend the same thing, A .357 medium frame revolver with a 4" barrel. Why .357? because you can shoot lightly loaded .38 Special target ammunition which has about the same recoil as a .22. Yet .38 Special ammo is available in hotter loads for defense, and if you "get into" shooting and want more power, you can load .357 with no change to the gun.

Why 4"? Because that size is fairly easy to carry, yet is large enough to have decent sights and sight radius and enough weight to reduce recoil to manageable levels.

Jim

Size is your friend. It takes quite a bit of practice to become proficient with a handgun so consider ammo costs. The bigger the better, as long as it's not so big or heavy that it's uncomfortable. A short barreled lightweight .38 is hard even for experienced shooters. Beyond point-blank range they won't be of much use to you. A mid-size .38/.357 or a 9mm would seem to be a place to start.

When range shooting handguns I usually take
Several with me.
45 shield (carry gun so I always shoot it some)
22revolver cuz it cheap fun
40S&W 4006 steel frame SA
And always my K frame 357 6in barrel revolver with both 38/357 ammo.
No what gun is most fun to shoot and is the MOST accurate especially at the 25 yd distance.

The wheelie.

You and your lady wont regret a 4/6 in barrel 38/357 wheelie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to heartily agree with the .357 cal revolver suggestions.

If nothing else the fact that it can shoot multiple cartridges, of varying potencies already opens a breadth of shooting possibilities that a regular 9mm semi-auto could never deliver.

Plinking fun, cheap practice all the way to full-on serious SD loads...

If it is not for carry, purely HD and range time, I'd say going for either one of the venerable .357 mags such as the Gp100 or the 686. Beyond that there are also the 7- and 8-shot offerings from S&W.

So much scope for ammo choice from one gun. All the OP needs to do now is try them and see what he and his wife think of them.

You can give the new shooter the choice between learning to OPERATE the automatic with all those confusing levers and buttons - about 1/10 as many as a smartphone - or learning to SHOOT a double action revolver.

If their interest is limited to short range last ditch defense, go with the revolver. If they seem to be potential enthusiastic shooters, maybe they will prefer the auto.

You can give the new shooter the choice between learning to OPERATE the automatic with all those confusing levers and buttons - about 1/10 as many as a smartphone - or learning to SHOOT a double action revolver.

If their interest is limited to short range last ditch defense, go with the revolver. If they seem to be potential enthusiastic shooters, maybe they will prefer the auto.

No reason not to have both further down the line, but if one reason is HD, then I still say go for the revolver.

An emergency may not wait for the home owner to have had all the necessary courses and classes. Revolver: aim and shoot. In the short term it is a safer bet, IMHO.

I tried to teach my girlfriend to shoot with a revolver....no dice. To this day if she has an auto in her hand she groups competitively with me, give her a revolver? The safest place to stand is in front of the target...:D. Op, if your still here, try to get a hold of different firearms, with different actions to see what you like. A revolver is not always the best choice and neither is an auto, you will have to figure that out.

home defense

I have a Glock 19. it is easy to use and maintain. it is a compact handgun which you can also use for personal carry. I have taken my wife who had never shot a weapon. I showed her how to operate my glock 19 and she love it shot very well for her first time. and the ammo is inexpensive to shoot.

Last edited:
I like to recommend either a full CZ with their Kadet conversion unit, or a Browning HP or M1911-either Colt or Clone-with a 22 conversion unit. You learn to shoot with the conversion unit, when you transition to centerfire the feel of the pistol is totally familiar.

Toppy said:
Thanks in advance for the help.

My free advice for what it's worth...

I'd suggest a S&W medium (k) frame revolver chambered in 38 special. A Model 10 or Model 15 with a 4" barrel would be a good choice. They were the sidearm of choice for nearly all law enforcement agencies for nearly half a century for good reasons. They handle well and shoot accurately with a minimal amount of training/practice. Modern 38+P ammo is very potent as well.

Back