New guy suggestions.

Toppy

Inactive
Good afternoon,

My wife and I are looking to add a handgun to our home defense plans (and to shoot for fun) and i know less about hand guns than i would like .. so i was hoping to get some pointers on where to start.
We live in SoCal.
We live in an apartment ( upstairs, 2 bedrooms, 2 balconies).
We have a maverick 88 currently.
I wear medium sized gloves.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Just too many choices.

Wow !!!!
There are so many choices and ways to approach this post. Generally I'd say;
1) Keep it simple to use and maintain.
2) Consider the cost of the ammo
3) Shop around a bit, just for starters, how about a .38 snub-nose revolver?

I guess it's easier to list what you should not go for, at this time.
AR's, AK's, nothing larger that a .38 special or midsize 9mm.

Every stable will have a .22LR Semi-Auto. Keep in mind that golfers have more than one club. ..... ;)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

.38/.357 revolver, either Smith or Ruger, whichever you handle or shoot and like. Preferably if wife doesn't find them too big, Smith 686 plus or Ruger GP 100; both in 3-inch barrel.

Or an older K-frame Smith .38; ask dealers and they'll know what you're asking. Againb 3 or then 4 inch barrel.

Responsible dealers will advise you about the benefits of the .38s.

Maybe later, a 9 mm auto but first a revolver.

We're done.

Can you get to a range and rent some? Me, I would be looking at the 4" revolvers already mentioned, for autos ( I have no idea whats on Cali's twisted little list) but a Glock 19, 1911, FNS 9, Berreta 92fs, CZ P-01 come to mind. Thats just a very very short list, there are so many good options out their. Can you take a firearms class? They will often provide different platforms for you to shoot as well.

the best advice a fellow can give you.
1. go to a local range that rents handguns, rent every one you fancy and decide which one you like the best for trigger, ergonomics, and features.

2. buy that handgun.

3. take a handgun introduction/safety course(do step 3 first if you can find one that doesn't require you to have your own handgun).

4. take a handgun marksmanship class to improve your skills.

5. put at least 300 rounds of ammo through the gun you bought, if there is even a single failure, either try for another 300 trouble free rounds, if that fails, probably search for a different handgun.

6. once you make it through step 5, try and make it to the range at least once a month to practice, and let your handgun keep you safe at home.

Older S&W 686 in 4" is one of the best all around handguns you could ever buy. Compared to most of the new crap manufacturers are putting out today buy a used pistol made 20 or 30 years ago. The quality is almost always better and the price can be very attractive. Not much of a comparison at all.

Do you have any or little experience shooting handguns??

If so I highly recommend that you sign up for a basic pistol training class that are often offered at a local gun range. These classes also train on safety and the difference between different type of handguns and trigger actions such as hammer fired and striker fired. They often have a variety of handguns to handle and try. Learning fundamentals of grip and trigger control will help you make a much better choice of a pistol that will work well for you. Budget will also make a difference in what pistols to consider and IMO.

In reference to taking the class, it is also fun. I am not new to firearms but my girlfriend is, I am the one that got her into shooting and she loves it. With that said, I taught her safety and shooting fundamentals but like Clint Eastwood said, " A man's got to know his limitations", mine would be my teaching abilities. I signed her up for a conceal carry class and joined as well just to do something together, it was a fun date..:D.

Let's see... The factors to consider would be...
- Newer shooters
- Home Defense
- California compliant :D

Like everyone else said. Best idea is to find some friends with guns, or a range that rents, and try some things out. Try different sizes, different calibers, different brands, different sights, etc.

Size: I would get something "Compact" size or bigger. Avoid a conceal carry gun because that just won't work for where you live and what you want! Generally, the larger the frame, the easier it will be to control, and the comfortable it will be to shoot well and confidently.

Caliber: For a newer shooter that wants to spend lots of rounds at the range and have a round that can defend the home, I would go with 9mm. The best balance of performance and cost for your desired use. Don't fall in the trap of "anything less than 45 is ineffective" it isn't true.

California compiant: The hardest part... I went through this list of California handguns certified for sale.. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ and it's rough. Woof.

You can't go wrong with a Gen3 Glock 19. It's 9mm, in my experience women prefer shooting the 19 to the 17... you aren't getting the extra round count with the 17 b/c of Kali. It's reliable, you can put a weapon light on it for home defense. Win, win, win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, get instructions.
Handguns in particular are very hard to master.
Trying to learn how on your own or with well meaning friends is rarely a substitute for actual instructions with a competent teacher.
Kind of like learning anything else well.
Even one errant round can mess up your life forever.

Training is good. Comparison of guns is good.

California has a roster of approved handguns. If it is not on the list, it cannot be imported into California. Used guns of models not on the roster are usually expensive.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

So don't get excited over a .395 Acme if it is not on the roster.
I can buy it and say it is great, but you can't get one.

1. go to a local range that rents handguns, rent every one you fancy and decide which one you like the best for trigger, ergonomics, and features.

2. buy that handgun.

3. take a handgun introduction/safety course(do step 3 first if you can find one that doesn't require you to have your own handgun).

4. take a handgun marksmanship class to improve your skills.

5. put at least 300 rounds of ammo through the gun you bought, if there is even a single failure, either try for another 300 trouble free rounds, if that fails, probably search for a different handgun.

6. once you make it through step 5, try and make it to the range at least once a month to practice, and let your handgun keep you safe at home.

This sounds like a good idea except I'd put #3 at the top of the list and #4 at the bottom.

Yeah I saw that but at least by me there's several that rent or supply guns so I figured it wasn't an issue.
Also I'm really apprehensive about someone renting guns at a range without any real background with them unless they're with someone who's willing to give some basic instruction prior to shooting.

Last edited:
My wife and I are looking to add a handgun

SHE goes with you to rent and shoot or buy. I would NOT go with a small 38 snub - it is really, IMO, the worst choice for brand new shooters.

In a revolver, and since this is for HD not CC, a full size frame with grips that she finds comfortable or a mid-size semi in 380 to 9mm meeting the same criteria. Lessons/training, practice, and more practice.

From an ammo cost standpoint, the 9mm wins over the 380 and 38 special, allowing fir more practice. My wife loves my Glock 26 AND my HK P7 (that SHE gave me for my birthday)

Here's where I think you should start:

1. Decide between an Auto (semi-auto) pistol or revolver
2. Then, what caliber? Good basic defense calibers for an Auto are: 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp; Good basic defense calibers for a revolver are 38 special, and .357
3. If you choose an Auto, then you need to decide what kind of trigger: Single action only; double action only; double action/single action.
4. You can buy good reliable revolvers and Autos in the $500 range - so budget accordingly.
5. Then, what do you want the gun to be made of? Steel, Stainless Steel, Mix of Alloy and Steel, Polymer and steel? If you want something heavy and pretty to look at, choose steel or stainless. If you want something light weight choose polymer frame or alloy frame.
6. Choose quality. Warranty is not an indication of quality. I'd choose a better quality barely used gun over a lesser quality new one, but I'm pretty experienced at knowing what is truly "barely used" and what isn't. Having said that, most modern steel and stainless guns that look almost new probably have not been used that much.

If possible go to a range that rents guns and take a course or two. You may find out that instead of one handgun you may actually need two. What works for one may not work for the other. I would highly recommend a 3-4 inch barrel .38 Special or 357 Magnum (you don't need magnum ammo as it will safely handle .38 Special +P) in a medium size frame (6 shots minimum). The only downside to the revolver is the ammunition available in the gun. If a semi-auto pistol is desired then a 4-5 inch barrel 9mm should do the trick nicely. If you do choose the semi-auto pistol be sure to buy extra magazines for it (at least 2 will do and more would be preferable). There are many high quality handguns out there that police departments are trading in. Most have been carried more than shot.

Last edited:
Medium frame .38/.357 is allways money well spent if you get one from a quality manufacturer like S&W, Ruger, Colt, etc.

Back