New Gun Purchaser

:p Aguila Blanca & Bluestarlizzard, I'm not sure either of you is entirely sure what you guys are discussing with each other.

It seems like AB looked at Bsl's post of "then probably not a Smith" as a suggestion to the OP that a S&W is -not- what she wants or needs. However, I believe Bsl was merely responding to my query on the identification of the revolver she launched .454 Casull with. I don't believe Bsl was saying that a S&W is a bad choice.

^ what he said.

Oh! Yeah, no, just saying that the .454 casul was apparently not a Smith.

Defenatly not saying she should refrain from buying a Smith & Wesson!

Hell, my first gun was a S&W model 19! A solid .357 magnum with a decent length barrel is a great newb gun, IMHO. Simple to operate, no fruatration issues that come along with semi auto's and subsiquent malfuctions, and you can shoot .38 wadcutters for almost no recoil as you're getting started.

Always makes me laugh when folks "circle the wagons." Let's note the fact that many of us are hardcore shooting aficionados, and many other folks are much more casual. We are also (c'mon, admit it!) discussion forum junkies, at least on this topic, and SO MANY other people just aren't.

There's a fine chance the OP never returns to this forum or never posts again to this thread. but hey, crazy gun forum people (of which I include MYSELF), it has literally been like a day, huh? Not everyone out there spends a lot of time on internet forums chatting guns.

True., benefit of the doubt given. Other people my not be as religious about getting a daily gun talk fix :) it's hard to suggest anything without knowing any background, use , budget, etc etc

Originally posted by Garycw:

Does anyone get the feeling yet that (op) she's Not coming back??

I often wonder on these male dominated websites, if these one post members claimin' to be a helpless female in need of help are really legit or just a ruse by someone to see how many male members trip over themselves to give advice.....:D

Same at the local range. Have a young male come by himself and obviously have problems or issues with his new firearm and unless he asks, the majority of the other men there will just stand back and watch. While a few will go over and offer unsolicited advice, more will just sit back and snicker. Be that an attractive young female in the same scenario and you'd swear she was handin' out gold coins for the crowd around her.

new gun owner, Pax, firearms....

New gun owners & questions from those new or entry level to the shooting sports are common on gun forums.

I'd start by learning and understanding the local gun & use of force laws.
Guns are not toys, props, political points or statements, or fashion accessories.
Know & fully be ready to deploy lethal force if required.
If you can't shoot at a person or feel untrained or unsafe with a loaded weapon, do not carry a firearm.
Pax, a TFL member has a special forum for women and can assist you.
Take classes or workshops with a respected instructor or program. 100s of "experts" have sprung up in the USA since 2000 or so.
Top firearms & use of force trainers include: Thunder Ranch, Massad Ayoob Group, Larry Vickers, Duane Dieter, SIG Sauer Academy, Bruce Gray, Todd Jarrett.

Use quality weapons, gear and equipment too. Don't go cheap or cut corners.
I always say; "its cheaper than a casket". ;)

Use only factory made ammunition for defense. No reloaded rounds or hand loads.
There are books videos and guides now available. See these websites; www.NRA.org www.gunvideo.com www.brownells.com www.handgunlaw.us www.midwayusa.com www.gunsamerica.com www.jgsales.com www.galls.com www.grafs.com www.gunlawguide.com www.mylegalheat.com .

Clyde F

The op has been watching, but not responding to questions. Can't say I blame her.

To the op, freedomgirl, I recommend that you spend lots of time holding different guns to feel hoe they fit. If you can find a range that rents guns, you can try them out (without buyers remorse). If you can not rent guns, ask a friend that shoots to tag along on a range trip. You can also look for firearms training classes. They may have guns you can use for class and get some handling time.

The op has been watching, but not responding to questions. Can't say I blame her.

To the op, freedomgirl, ????.

And you know this How???
And you can't blame her Why???
To me this whole thing is laughable!.. Advice given with no more info than petite female new shooter
And original poster with not as much as a "Ok"

This thread may as well RIP ..IMO

And you know this How???

Click on anybody's user name and look at the last time they were active

And you can't blame her Why??

Have you read this thread from the perspective of a new shooter. We can be intimidating with comments that seem harmless to us

To me this whole thing is laughable!.. Advice given with no more info than petite female new shooter

A lot of good advice was given. Without specifics,only vague suggestions can be given. When the op wants more specific info she can ask it.

Back