New gun owners . . .

Those were the days !!

and, we didn't have to go to a "swim dealer" (and pay him) and pass a govt required background check before we got into the water....
Glad nothing bad happened as they could have sued and procecute for using old bluegeans. Heck, we couldn't afford to start ripping up our jeans. However, you can buy them with holes, these days ....... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Glad nothing bad happened as they could have sued and procecute for using old bluegeans. Heck, we couldn't afford to start ripping up our jeans. However, you can buy them with holes, these days ....... :eek:

Be Safe !!!
We only ripped them up after the second set of patches wore out.

Didn't have to rip jeans to make swimwear, my mom had SCISSORS!!! :rolleyes:

And, it was normally the jeans you outgrew (length, not width) cut off where they ripped at the knees anyway....

Also this was back during a time when a judge could still tell a lawyer.
"counselor,.. your client is an idiot, and you are wasting the court's time. Case dismissed....." or something very like that...

Generally, I don't have a problem with new gun owners who have become gun owners because of an interest in guns, shooting etc., where I have issues is with those individuals who come to owning guns later in life, after years or decades of either not being interested, or worse actually supporting gun control, but NOW want a gun because they are scared, and yet are still so contemptous of the idea that they don't. or worse, won't learn what they should learn about them.

Folks who never had the opportunity to learn, and are now interested, even eager to learn, I gladly teach. Ones who know it all (and don't, but think they do) I still try to teach, just not gladly. ;)

Any thoughts or experiences surrounding the "new gun owner" surge?

I believe a lot of people mistake what they consume from media as something like an accurate representation of the rest of the world. If we see, hear and read about riots, and crime in Chicago and NY, we could live in a very safe tree lined suburb but still feel the anxiety of the world falling apart.

Before a couple of years ago, did any of us know anyone nutty enough to hoard toilet paper? (I did but he was a labor camp survivor, not a normal person). Well, now we all know that it's possible to go to several stores and find none. Similarly, the last several years may have taught people that being stuck in the midst of a riot, civil disturbance or "march" without the ability to effectively withhold consent to whatever the mob wants is a bad place to be.

So, many more people prepare to face a risk that for them may be remote. It's hard to blame them for that.

Just as bad, or possibly even worse are the people who see what people on tv and in the movies do with guns, and think that is what people SHOULD do with guns.

Its like watching LAW & ORDER and thinking they are telling you the truth about our criminal justice system or a CSI show and thinking that crime labs can actually DO what they do on tv.

Or how gravity works from watching Bugs Bunney or the coyote and roadrunner...

or a govt hearing expecting the actual truth....:rolleyes:

I am a new AR-15 owner and have had a 12 gauge I shoot occasionally that I bought about five years ago (Mossberg 500). I have wanted to but not been able to get into the hobby of shooting for quite a while due to financial limitations. Anyone who looks at my post history knows that I am very much a gun rights supporter however.

My AR-15 I ordered about a week ago, it is a New York SAFE Act-compliant "pretzel AR" (my term). I ordered it as I figure may as well get it now before the state bans AR's explicitly like Maura Healey did in Massachusetts. Also due to as others have stated, just the general state of things, like civil unrest, pandemic, economy, etc...you just don't know what's going to happen.

However I don't know much of anything about the AR yet. I still need to buy ammo, magazines, a scope or sight of some type (I know how to shoot using the front sight post which my Mossberg 500 has but this AR has no such thing), learn to zero the rifle, sight the rifle, and clean and lube the rifle, so I will be reading the Pew Pew Tactical articles on the AR, watching some videos, and I also have a book I bought about it. It says in the instruction manual to break in the barrel and how to do so, so I will do that at the range.

I did go through Army Infantry OSUT back in '05, so have some faint familiarity with field-stripping the weapon, the charging handle, and all of that, and had it hammered into me about muzzle discipline, trigger discipline, etc...all the basic gun safety rules, i.e. always assume the weapon is loaded and will fire if you pull the trigger, don't pull the trigger minus very few circumstances and only after being sure no round is in the chamber, don't assume the magazine being empty means a round is not in the chamber, keep the safety on unless ready to fire, don't put your finger in the trigger well, etc...so I am good there.

I agree that a lot of new gun owners != gun enthusiast. It is just done out of safety precautions by people. Doesn't mean they are suddenly interested in shooting. It hopefully DOES mean that there are a lot more people supportive of gun rights right now, and thus will be unlikely to support new gun control.

Before you start buying magazines -- doesn't the NY SAFE Act require AR-15 type rifles to have fixed magazines? I read something about the Buffalo shooter having illegally modified his AR-15 to allow him to change magazines.

I'm not certain of this -- I'm not from NY. Just do your homework before you buy a satchel full of magazines you can't use, and can't sell locally.

[Edit to add] https://crossarmory.com/how-to-be-new-york-compliant-with-your-ar-15/

Apparently part of the SAFE Act is that rifles such as AR-15s cannot have detachable magazines. This means your new rifle will [most likely] come with a fixed magazine, and to load it you will have to open the upper receiver to allow access to the top of the magazine for loading.

I'm a member at a large private range. Various events are open to the public, some attended by 200 or more shooters, but range access is normally via a keycard.
I'll go during the week, and rarely ever see or hear another shooter while I'm there.
The people who are hoarding guns and ammo apparently never use either?
The people I know who are shooters, as opposed to gun "owners", are strapped for ammo and/or reloading, can't get the guns they want, etc.
Are thousands of guns, and millions of rounds, stored by people who don't actually shoot?

Aguila Blanca said:
Before you start buying magazines -- doesn't the NY SAFE Act require AR-15 type rifles to have fixed magazines? I read something about the Buffalo shooter having illegally modified his AR-15 to allow him to change magazines.

I'm not certain of this -- I'm not from NY. Just do your homework before you buy a satchel full of magazines you can't use, and can't sell locally.

[Edit to add] https://crossarmory.com/how-to-be-ne...th-your-ar-15/

Apparently part of the SAFE Act is that rifles such as AR-15s cannot have detachable magazines. This means your new rifle will [most likely] come with a fixed magazine, and to load it you will have to open the upper receiver to allow access to the top of the magazine for loading.

The link you cited just leads to a 404, however AR's in NY can have detachable magazines so long as the rifle does not meet the definition of an "assault weapon" under state law, defined basically as a semiautomatic long gun that accepts a detachable magazine and has at least one "military-style" feature. If the AR has no "military-style" features, it is not considered an assault weapon. You can have an "assault weapon" AR, but it must have a fixed magazine. Fixed or detachable, the magazine must be no more than 10 round capacity.

This isn't a picture of my specific rifle, but this is an NY-compliant AR:

BRO-SPEC15-NY_1.jpg

The Buffalo shooter modified his rifle to have a conventional grip and stock from what I can tell, but detachable mag ARs are plenty available. He may have bought such a rifle than removed the pretzel grip (as I call it) and installed a conventional AR stock and grip.

BobCat45 said:
A while ago I saw a side-loading stripper clip for fixed magazine AR-type rifles and found it again.

https://www.meanarms.com/products/de...oader-for-ar15

Note that I have zero real-world experience with this, it is just something I saw once on the internet and thought was a neat work-around.

I do not know whether or not it performs as described.

Yes, I have seen those. The major pain with a fixed mag AR is what to do if it jams.

It's a major pain if anything with a fixed magazine jams.

Its only slightly less of a pain if the magazine is detachable.

I'm a member at a large private range. Various events are open to the public, some attended by 200 or more shooters, but range access is normally via a keycard.
I'll go during the week, and rarely ever see or hear another shooter while I'm there.
The people who are hoarding guns and ammo apparently never use either?
The people I know who are shooters, as opposed to gun "owners", are strapped for ammo and/or reloading, can't get the guns they want, etc.
Are thousands of guns, and millions of rounds, stored by people who don't actually shoot?
I shoot and I hoard. I can shoot now because I hoarded during the Trump administration.

When I went to my required CCW course in NC I was shocked by some of the questions. Now the questions were bad enough but the shooting part of the class really made me rethink how little the general public knows about guns. There were around 150 people in the course. Only 9 of us brought our own guns. The instructor had us 9 shoot then told us to come back in 2.5 hrs. He said the rest of the people rented a gun and had never fired a gun before so it was going to be a while. Even the content of the course was very introductory - "what is the difference between a rifle and pistol". People in the course couldn't answer that question. I couldn't believe it. The actual law part of the class took maybe 15-20 mins. From that day on I wish there was some type of gun safety training program for all 1st time gun buyers. I grew up with it so I take it for granted and I get that everyone starts somewhere but I never thought starting somewhere would be your CCW test course. Then for the test we were allowed to work together and if you didn't know an answer you could raise your hand for help. I think I finished the test in like 4 minutes and could have done so before stepping foot in the class.

The difference between a rifle and a pistol is how the firearm is registered with the feds. That's it, if we answer the question literally.

Now, if it's a legal firearm under that category is quite complicated.

I am more concerned about legal questions like "Under what circumstances can you draw a weapon" or "Can you cross a state line to receive a straw-purchased firearm" or "If you discharge your firearm negligently in public inside a governmental district, what are your legal obligations to report?" and things like that.

Despite many people objecting to government intervention, public shooting ranges with range officer employees and low cost or free instruction would be a good thing, in my opinion. Sometimes it's in the public good to train people.

We used to have Drivers Ed in the public schools. That went away, and look at the people driving now without a license.

I looked into CC as a store employee was pushing a class. "Can I use my own gun?"
"Sure!"
"Are you ready for a .454 Casull in your little range? It's gonna beat your backstop all to hell."
"What???"
"Can I qualify with my .22 revolver shooting CB caps?"
"I don't see why not..."

Well, what's the point of it, then?

As an old man, I reckon I can just drop my field pistol in my jacket pocket and no game warden will bother me about what they can't see.

Last edited:
When I went to my required CCW course in NC I was shocked by some of the questions. Now the questions were bad enough but the shooting part of the class really made me rethink how little the general public knows about guns. There were around 150 people in the course. Only 9 of us brought our own guns. The instructor had us 9 shoot then told us to come back in 2.5 hrs. He said the rest of the people rented a gun and had never fired a gun before so it was going to be a while. Even the content of the course was very introductory - "what is the difference between a rifle and pistol". People in the course couldn't answer that question. I couldn't believe it. The actual law part of the class took maybe 15-20 mins. From that day on I wish there was some type of gun safety training program for all 1st time gun buyers. I grew up with it so I take it for granted and I get that everyone starts somewhere but I never thought starting somewhere would be your CCW test course. Then for the test we were allowed to work together and if you didn't know an answer you could raise your hand for help. I think I finished the test in like 4 minutes and could have done so before stepping foot in the class.
Sounds like my police academy class.

The class I took for NC was almost the same except we weren't allowed to bring our own pistols or ammo (I made a comment to my friend beforehand that I had a hunch we were going to be shooting suppressed .22s in someone's backyard, and sure enough, that is EXACTLY what we did for the shooting portion). The only thing that I found surprising outside the lack of anything really being taught was that there were a few people who were attending the class to get weapon charges against them dismissed, most typically carrying in a vehicle without a valid CCW.

There may be benefits to new owners who don't shoot much, if at all.

Over the decades am occasionally lucky enough to have found "nib" or "lnib" deals from some who don't realize the true worth.

Also have found full or partially full boxes of perfectly good rounds for cheap.

Have been through more than a couple "shortages". When i go to the big city to visit walmart occasionally, am not buying just one roll of tp. And the older i get, the closer i am to having a lifetime supply of ammo and components. And it wasn't by accident.

Back