New gun owner, gripping too hard?

Well, I can't find them now, but I had perfect examples in two videos of myself shooting the same drill before and after I began using a firmer grip. In the first one my muzzle flipped about 20 degrees (maybe more but not quite to the 45), and after and the muzzle flipped less than an inch. Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced them in the digital ether so you'll have to take my word for it I guess.

The other thing to consider is what kind of grip do you think you'll use in an actual gunfight? Is it likely that you'll be calm enough to remember to relax your grip when the bullets start flying in your direction?

Personally, I think I'll probably be gripping the thing pretty good. Probably my whole body will be clenching up pretty tight, I'd imagine. Certain muscles might loosen, but those two don't have much to do with actually shooting a gun . . .

I find that soft rubber like Pachmayr "locks" into my has as well as sharp checkering does, and is vastly preferable with heavy recoiling pistols.

But, if the checkering is eating your hand, tis too sharp, or you're over doing it.

I'm definitely not one of the "death grip" bunch. I hold it tight enough, no more. My hands won't tolerate a death grip for long anymore, and they weren't happy about doing it 40+ years ago when I started shooting. I was told by the instructor at the gun store to "hold it like you want it dead!", and I did, but i shot very badly. My then GF's dad, who was a true firearms expert said, "Nonsense, hold it like you want, just hard enough to keep from dropping it, and you will shoot better!". He was correct, my shooting improved tremendously.

You want as loose a grip on the gun as possible but put a lanyard on it so it won't fall to the ground when it flies out of your hand.NOT. Grip it as tight as you can without shaking. That is the correct grip. If the gun can't move in your hand it can't abrade your skin.

You want as loose a grip on the gun as possible but put a lanyard on it so it won't fall to the ground when it flies out of your hand

Refer to #18. The gun won't fly out of your hands.

Back