New Glocks. Slimline.

kilotanker22

Wife has been asking for a new pistol for a minute now. We stopped by the LGS recently and Looked at some of the Gen 5 Glocks.

I took a liking to the G48 slimline with Silver slide. I was impressed at how comfortable for me it was. And Should be much easier to conceal than my Glock 17 was.
She really likes the G43 all black.

Haven't bought a brand new pistol in awhile, But these were both priced at $459... That seems pretty fair to me. I want to say I paid over $600 for the Glock 17 I had. But it came with a holster and a range kit.

Anyway. How are you guys liking the Gen 5 Glocks? I know that some don't like Glocks in General. I also understand why, but I do.

I am only interested in feedback from Glock Gen5 users. Probably will not change my mind either way. I plan to buy hers this week as a gift for Valentine's Day....

Hahahaha, Nothing says I love you like a 9x19!!

You might wanna have your wife rent a Glock 43 at a range to try out. At a little over 16oz unloaded, it's a bit snappy. I carry one iwb when I'm not at work.

The 43X and 48 seem to be selling well. I don't have experience with either, but I did have the G43 and liked it a lot. I only sold it because I got the S&W 360PD that I like more (lighter, smaller, much more power - but not as fun to shoot).

In the reviews I'm seeing, the 43X seems to be a bit more popular than the 48. Apparently, the 48 uses different sights than the normal 43 or the bigger frames. Not sure why that is - but may be an issue trying to put better sights on it.

The 43X seems to balance and shoot better for most which is a little counter-intuitive since the longer 48 SHOULD be better. So, if I were going to pick one up without shooting either of them, I would go with the 43X from everything I've seen so far.

With that said, the Gen5's seem to be working as expected for most people. I personally had the striker lug break on my 19X.... which was disappointing. Glock also refused to replace it under warranty due to polishing the striker face as most people do, so I had to buy a new one myself. There was an obvious air bubble in the MIM that caused the failure. Most of them are fine.... stuff happens. I wasn't too upset that it broke but was pretty disappointed at Glock's response. But now I know what to expect from their customer service - not much.

I've actually been really infatuated with the CZ P-10 C lately anyways. Better ergonomics, better trigger, better slide serrations, and cheaper. Not trying to steer you in that direction, as it's a significantly larger gun than the G48/G43X, just stating my personal feelings. I still love my Glocks, but the CZ is taking up a lot of my holster time lately.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with it though. New guns are always a good thing. :)

I have a 43, so, one day in the future I will pick up a 48 and sell the slide and barrel. Then I can switch out the slide of the 43 that I have between frames depending on how I want to carry it.

Can't help you with the Gen 5s. I've handled a bunch of them but haven'the got to shoot any yet.

I held and dry fired a 48 today at the range, which makes me an Internet expert! :)

It sure felt well balanced to me. It's what you get when you put a Glock 19 on a diet and slim it down. It certainly didn't feel unbalanced to me, and felt much more substantial than a 43.

If I weren't already wedded to a PPS M2 as an EDC, I'd strongly consider the Glock 48, and that's coming from someone who's never been crazy about Glock. I'd take it over the P365 as it offers decent capacity (about 10+1 in the same height that P365 gives you with 12+1) but to me just felt so much easier to hold. The P365 is really, really small.

You might wanna have your wife rent a Glock 43 at a range to try out. At a little over 16oz unloaded, it's a bit snappy. I carry one iwb when I'm not at work.
She will be fine. She has enough experience with a hand gun to deal with it. She did great with my 45 ACP with +p loads.

The Gen 5 Glocks are terrific pistols and if I buy another striker fired poly frame pistol it will be a Glock. The only reason I have not bought a Gen 5 Glock yet is my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new in the early 90s has been perfect for me and my choice when I want to CCW a double stack 9MM pistol. I tried shooting both the Gen 5 Glock 19 and 17 and was very impressed with both.

The new Glock 43X and 48 look really sweet too. I would probably choose the 48 though but will have to try both out to see what I think of them which I should be able to do fairly soon. IMO they are both going to be huge sellers for Glock, especially in states limited to 10 rounds.

Trainer Jerry Jones just posted his thoughts, which very very positive, about the Glock 48 after shooting one with pictures on another forum. A lot seem to be changing their attitudes about the new Glock 43X and 48 after actually handling or shooting them including Jerry.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5100083354

Rent a g43, 43x and 48...I think the 43 is more versatile tho as it can modified to fit either tighter clothes(with standard mag) or almost the capacity and length of the 43x or 48(many +2 and 3 mag plates out there). And with 43x, new 43 less $. I handled both yesterday at the range and both were very comfy in the hand but for ME, length of grip, not width, is the determiner for my CCW decision. If it could shoot a 43 w/o hand/wrist pain, I would EDC it, like both my son’s.

Last edited:
My Q.1 is:

Will Uncle Gaston chamber the G48 as a 9+1 .40?
(and lose the ridiculous forward cocking serrations. )

Red

No offense but in a world of blood, guts, mud, and slime, I see no problem with ample cocking serrations.

No offense but in a world of blood, guts, mud, and slime, I see no problem with ample cocking serrations.
W/ a 1911, you have to press-check to determine, both visually and tacilely, whether the chamber is loaded or not.

A GLOCK - has a loaded chamber indicator on the extractor that is both visual and tactile.

So front serrations for press-checking a GLOCK, fantastics aside? ...are just "teats-on-a-boar-hog".

:D

Red

Red, good point if all you're concerned about is press-checking. I'm talking just plainly about being able to adequately and reliably being able to jack a round in the chamber.

Consider The G42

You may want to consider the G42 for your wife. Same slim profile but easier to shoot in .380 than the G43 which is not a beginners gun by any means.

Yeah the 42 is a very impressive little gun. It's in a different league than other .380s. Not really a pocket gun but actually large enough to shoot well. I was dead accurate with a 42 but couldn't hit a whale with an LCP!

You may want to consider the G42 for your wife. Same slim profile but easier to shoot in .380 than the G43 which is not a beginners gun by any means.
We both intend to stick with 9x19. We may end up both getting the G48. aside from a little longer slide its basically the same gun as the G43x. And she is not exactly a beginner.

I recieved my Desantis Nemesis for my 43 yesterday. I thought it might be too big, but it fit in my jeans pocket perfectly. I dont think the 43X will fit very good pocket wise, but the holster itself is a very good one if you ever go the pocket carry route. My custom kydex iwb is coming soon, and will fit the 43X as well if I ever decide to get one.

Yeah the 42 is a very impressive little gun. It's in a different league than other .380s. Not really a pocket gun but actually large enough to shoot well. I was dead accurate with a 42 but couldn't hit a whale with an LCP!
With a Clip Draw type 'holder', I pocket carry my G42 w/o problem. Front pocket of jeans..

Pocket Holsters

Even though they’re called pocket guns I think that’s a misnomer for the slimline Glocks. I’ve never been a big fan of pocket holsters even though I can well understand there might be situations where one has little choice but to use one. My main peeve is that unless you’re standing, access in stressful situations becomes awkward and problematic and maybe even impossible. The great thing about a belt worn holster is that it holds the gun in a predictable place at all times with little or no movement. Access is far less impeded by body movement and when stress and speed enter the equation that’s important. I feel pretty much the same way about carrying in pocketbooks for women. There are IwB holsters that make the G42 and 43 virtually invisible while providing far better access than a pocket holster. I use the Vedder Slim Tuck with my 43. It’s an amazing holster if a little expensive. Remember how you carry your EDC is just as important as having it in the first place. Give the matter some serious thought !

You're correct Rollcrimp1 about speed of pocket draw. I can actually draw a little faster from the pocket if its from anything other than jeans(as they're a bit tighter at the pocket opening). If the pistol is small enough, I usually get a pocket holster and iwb/owb holster for carry. My LCP lives 100% in my pocket though.

Back