New Florida rules?

Torontogunguy

I just noticed on one of the Florida websites that the governor signed a bill that was passed thru the committees and the houses over the past few months quietly that:
1. Increases the life of a FLA CCW Permit to 7 years!
2. Changes the residency requirements by definining a RESIDENT as being any US CITIZEN. No longer are US Citizens wishing to visit FLA who do not have a permanent home in the USA stripped of their 2A rights! All U.S. CITIZENS who are NON RESIDENTS of FLA may now apply for and receive a NON RES permit in FLA. The mere presentation of a water bill showing you are a resident of either FLA (res permit) or the USA (non res permit) will no longer cut it. You need to provide a birth certificate or passport now. About time.

2. Changes the residency requirements by definining a RESIDENT as being any US CITIZEN.
That part of your post makes no sense. if any US citizen is a resident there would be no need for non-resident permits. Are you confusing the requirement for being a Florida resident with the definition of US Citizen?

BTW, I just got my non-resident permit. It is good for 7yrs also.

FLpermit.jpg

link?, cite?

Dive medic, I was looking for this myself,
it shows up on the FAQ page, but link to F.S. 790 (2007) says 5 years..

I guess that F.S. (2008) would be changed to reflect this.

here is a link to the 7 year license, law changed on June 11, 2008

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/concealed_weapons_7yr.html

here is the senate bill 948
http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=sb0948er.html&Directory=session/2008/Senate/bills/billtext/html/

Last edited:
And there you have it. Link and citation. This permits all US Citizens their 2A rights, regardless of residency, and for seven years. It also tends to remove the "here's my water bill... gimme a permit... I've been a resident for 30 days" scenario perhaps. A good thing.

I'm still confused about the Resident -- Non Resident thing

either you are or you aren't.... it may be more of an issue of how other states look at it. S.C. just passed a law that 'should' allow Florida Resident permit holders to carry in S.C... but not folks that aren't.

I know the ATF says if you are living in a state, you are a resident of that state and I don't think they define it further than that.... you could be renting a motel room for a month and you are a resident.

I figured it out... by going to the Fl dep of agriculture web site...

what it says is to get a permit you must be both a Resident of the U.S. (I guess means actually live in the country) and also either a citizen or a Perminant Resident Alien.... I think is has more to do with wording and not letting temp. folks to our country get a permit.

Here's the link:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/concealed_weapons_7yr.html

I think the US citizen part might have been changed because there are a LOT of immigrants (illegal and legal) hanging out in FLA? Legal immigrants have 2A rights (assuming citizenship or that they're on the path to citizenship).

By just saying resident that would imply that anyone could get a CCW?

It's just leaglezed jargin...

if you are a citizen of the US... I guess that makes you a resident of same... but just because you are a resident, that doesn't make you a citizen.

from the senate bill.. the red words are ADDITIONS to the existing statue...
(a) Is a resident of the United States and a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien of the United States, as determined by the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services,or is a consular security official of a foreign government that maintains diplomatic relations and
treaties of commerce, friendship, and navigation with the United
States and is certified as such by the foreign government and by
the appropriate embassy

from the senate bill.. the red words are ADDITIONS to the existing statue...
Quote:
(a) Is a resident of the United States and a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien of the United States, as determined by the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services,or is a consular security official of a foreign government that maintains diplomatic relations and
treaties of commerce, friendship, and navigation with the United
States and is certified as such by the foreign government and by
the appropriate embassy

"An act relating to concealed weapons licenses; amending s.

790.06, F.S.; extending the period that a license is

valid; specifying that the United States residency

required to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon

or firearm means that the licensee must be a United States

citizen or a permanent resident alien of the United

States
; providing legislative intent; providing

applicability; providing an effective date."

If one follows this bill through both houses and through all of the committees and reads the interpretations, they are all identical. Even better, here is the interpretation by committee, etc......

The bill as originally filed explanation:
Extends the period that a license is valid. Specifies that the United States residency required to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm means that the licensee must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien of the United States. Provides legislative intent and applicability, etc. EFFECTIVE DATE: 06/10/2008.

By the committee of Commerce:

An act relating to concealed weapons licenses; amending s.
790.06, F.S.; specifying that the United States residency
required to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon
or firearm means that the licensee must be a United States
citizen or a permanent resident alien of the United
States;
providing legislative intent; providing
applicability; providing an effective date.

Rather than wasting a whole lot of bandwidth here... this is the link to the analysis of the bill by the houses and all of the pertinent committees, where they state that "resident" is to be interpreted to mean "citizen", which makes good sense, of course, in view of the recent supreme court decision upholding the rights of "We the people" as opposed to "We the residents". There are an awful lot of Americans who are retired and travel or perhaps work outside of the country on a regular basis, living with relatives when at home, etc. All of the aforementioned are "We the People" people. I think that the legislature, in interpretation, and the committees' analysis of the interpretation of "resident" to mean "citizen" were correct. Anyway, I happen to be one of those on-again, off-again residents who live outside of the USA most of the time but are American citizens. Let's see where this goes when I reapply for a permit. It's almost moot as we intend to retire permanently to Florida in about three or four years, but the point is that all citizens should have the rights of "We the People".

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&BillNum=0948

Playboy, you had the perfect opportunity to use some of that magical photography ability to doctor up that photo. Your slipping in your old age:D

1. Increases the life of a FLA CCW Permit to 7 years!

Curious what the original length of the permit was? Indiana now has a lifetime permit and Kentucky had a bill floating around to allow lifetime permits but it got defeated.

Back