New Deer Recipes?

Chicken fried turkey is goddamn good... especially if you use bisquick as the battering flour.

As for pheasant, yeah, if you get a yearling pheasant they aren't too bad toughness wise, but let them get a couple years of aging before you shoot them and they are about as tough as shoe leather. Even stewing the older birds will often not do anything for the toughness. I've resorted several times to soaking in a brine of vinegar, and flavored salts to try and tenderize & flavor the bird, then cooking with potatoes to draw off the vinegary/salty flavor...

I've got several in the freezer awaiting cooking that were in my estimation 4-5 years old. Usually I'll debone these birds, then grind them into a bird burger, fry and add to soup.

One more varation of the backstrap on the grill.
butterfly the backstrap,( cut it longways down the center) marainde with It. salad dressing, and worcherster, salt and pepper to tase, then fill the butterfly cut with onions and bell pepper, wrap bacon and pin it with tooth picks. put over indirect heat, ( the charocle on one side of the grill) or the bacon grease with flame a little too much. Be careful and dont over cook. Serve with friends and a liberal amount of lieing about past hunting trips abround a table.
Hard to beat.

Oh yea, why dont you need to use Kingsford to cook with??

High Planes Drifter, Mrs. Meek told me to tell you about the Greek roast crock pot recipe she uses. She says a lot of people probably won't like Garam Masala (she said it was really dumb for me to post it in the first place) as it is an aquired taste for people who like Indian food but anybody who likes Greek food will like this one.

In a crock pot put one roast, of the usual size you cook. Put in one package (1 ounce) of Hidden Valley dry ranch dressing powder. Then pour in one entire 16 oz jar of pepperoncini (the whole Greek yellow-green peppers like they serve on salad bars). Don't add water as the pepperoncini provides both water and vinegar. Cook for six hours on high and 4-5 hours on low.

Last edited:
Back