New CZ 97B jamming

It’s really great to have a good working relationship with a gunsmith who you can explain your gun problems & issues to, and then have them work their craft to improve the performance of your gun. As an example, I just got my CZ 75B back from a local gunsmith and he did a detailed disassembly, inspection, clean, oil, & reassembly of every removable part except for the sights. I also wanted a smoother trigger pull so the trigger engagements were polished, including the hammer, the stock ring hammer was oreplaced with the CZ Custom race hammer. All the work that had been done to the gun was explained in detail, and if anything was not to my satisfaction after I shot the gun, I was told to not hesitate to bring it back for correction. Well the gun was great before I had this service work done but I saw a noticeable improvement in this gun, verified with 2 trips to the range.

Last edited:
Moloch - I just took a look at the slide lock on my 97B and it looks a lot like your post-polishing slide lock. It is almost flat; even flatter than yours is now. Makes me wonder if the CZ employee assembling yours left a step out - namely running the slide lock briefly against a grinder to remove that obvious triangular point.

Moloch - I just took a look at the slide lock on my 97B and it looks a lot like your post-polishing slide lock. It is almost flat; even flatter than yours is now. Makes me wonder if the CZ employee assembling yours left a step out - namely running the slide lock briefly against a grinder to remove that obvious triangular point.
Huh, that's weird. Could you post a picture of your slide stop? I tried to find a picture of a 97 slide stop via google to compare it to mine but came up with absolutely nothing.

I hope that's the only part they messed up - :confused:

What I really dislike is the ever growing trend of making 90% products the end users have to finish to make them work as intended. This extends far beyond just firearms.

Huh, that's weird. Could you post a picture of your slide stop? I tried to find a picture of a 97 slide stop via google to compare it to mine but came up with absolutely nothing.

I hope that's the only part they messed up - :confused:

What I really dislike is the ever growing trend of making 90% products the end users have to finish to make them work as intended. This extends far beyond just firearms.

The last point is why I send firearms back. It’s great that you were able to fix it yourself and of course it’s preferable to have something fixed sooner rather than later. But in my mind the only way manufacturers might stop the behavior you mention is if it hits them in the wallet enough.

I’ve met a number of people over the years at ranges that have pistols that have obvious functional issues. Many of those people just accept them. It’s baffling to me. Most firearms come with some form of warranty. The manufacturer should have to stand by the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a new (built in 2020) 97 B...however, i have a very lousy camera, but i am looking at mine now, and it is EXACTLY like yours, before you ground it down.

i have no stove piping.

i was shooting Winchester 230 gr ammo, just yesterday in fact, 40 rnds. last week, i shot off 50 rds.

all of my .45 ACP ammo is 230 gr.

Federal, Winchester, S&B

the only reason for such a low ammo count both times, was i had one of my 3 other 9MM, that i also wanted to practice with.

you should have tried shooting the gun, after the grinding down of the lock, to see if that was the problem, which i think it was not. you did 2 operations, the grinding down of the lock, and polishing of the ramp. frankly, you are not really certain which operation made any corrections.

if you go and send back that lock for a replacement, they very well may deny one under warranty.

i think if anything, polishing the ramp may have been all that you needed.

it is also highly possible that there was some "crud" on the ramp, from the factory, when they did test firing of the gun.

also possible that carbon got built up real quick, if the ammo you used was "dirty" firing?

I tried to get as clear a photo as I could. Where your point of the triangle appears to be right in the center, mine is off-center and to the rear. The flat face is parallel to the bullet path when it is installed in the gun. I tried to get a photo of that, but it's practically impossible to get a macro shot of it and light it well enough to show the slide lock.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 195
I don't have my 97B anymore, but it was kind of touchy about ammo when it was new, maybe the first couple of hundred rounds. By the time it was eating all the FMJ stuff I had without any problems, I started putting JHP stuff through it and only a friend's reloaded rounds upset it. Factory loads were fine. I honestly liked the gun, but I liked my EAA Witness .45 better, and it shot anything I put in it from round 1.

So, I polished the feed ramp some more, disassembled the magazines and cleaned and lubed the insides and polished the chamber as well.

I put some chrome polish onto a spent 45ACP case, put the case into my stationary drill and then I put the barrel over the case very slowly, with a back and forth motion. ( ;) ) I only did this for a couple seconds. Now the chamber is much shinier. I also put a rag on a wooden dowel and using the same polish, polished the ''ceiling'' of the chamber where the projectiles drag on when they're stuffed into the chamber, to a mirror finish.

Today I shot a couple hundred more rounds through it, so far it shot 300 rounds of commercial Fiocchi 230 grain FMJ ball without a single hiccup.

It still does not like my short OAL 220 grain lead round nose loads, BUT when I increased the OAL of the cartridge from 1.228 to 1.263, the OAL of the Fiocchi commercial load, and slightly upped the load (VN340, from 6.3 to 6.6 grains / 900 fp/s) it shot 45 rounds without a malfunction.

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to decrease the load a bit, I'm getting primer drag and I rather lose a couple fps and go easy on the firing pin. Apparently 220 grain at 900 is a bit on the hot side. - :rolleyes:

I also shot hot 230 grain XTP loads through it, they worked just fine.

Back