New Coyote call and Hunter

I've killed more coyotes turkey hunting, slipping in to my hen calls looking for a turkey sandwhich, or a "run in" encounter while navigating for the same gobbling tom, or bouncing my decoys. I've come to the conclusion they are a heavy predator on turkeys

My experience too. Hunted three mornings last spring season, shot three coyotes. Hunted two evenings last fall season and got one. I've often thought about using turkey calls and a decoy especially for 'yotes, but the way my local warden explains the regs to me is, if you are using a turkey call, you are turkey hunting......period. So if you use a turkey call in the woods with a loaded gun(other than your CWC), you best have a valid permit. So, I hunt 'yotes with a turkey call till I get my bird.

Suddenly I caught movement, back and top of head of coyote kind of circling me. Suddenly something, maybe another coyote spooked him, his head jerked to the right and he put his tail between his legs and left quickly.

He circled you enough to get downwind and catch your scent. Something they do often if they are suspicious of the calls. I believe they also do it to get the scent of the squealing animal they are seeking so they can hone in on it's location. If you're hunting woods or heavy cover, odds are for every 'yote you see, one come in and leaves you don't see.

next thing I know the #&#$¥÷ bird attacks the mojo and takes off with the top decoy part,,,, dangest thing I ever seen

While I've never had a bird of prey grab a decoy, I do have them come in regularly to rabbit distress calls. That and crows. Sometime crows in very large numbers. Talk about annoying. They too learn fast tho.....:D

Back