New Colt Revolvers!!!!!!

Radny97

Looks like Colt is taking out a full-page ad in gun world magazine January issue. Showing a new colt cobra 38 special snubnose revolver. What!!!!!
That is big news.

Been saying for how long now that Colt's been working on a new DA? :)
Don't get your hopes up for an original Cobra re-intro, though.
Denis

Not really a Cobra, more like a Detective Special with the steel frame. But they'll call it a Cobra anyway since that name sounds cooler to millennials.

Ugly front sight, ugly HOGUE french tickler grips. Probably going to cost a small fortune or be small batch collectors item, like their reintroduced 1903 guns.

Not impressed. I'd rather have the new Kimber revolver.

I might be wrong, but I hear that Colt uses pristine steels made of iron ore mined from Mount Olympus itself, which after taken out of the ground, is blessed by the Gods to be the most wear and rust resistant steel ever made. So resistant, tough, and hard that the steel can only be machined via EDM using Thor's lighting hammer powers.

I also hear that once machined, the parts go through a rigorous inspection process. So rigorous, that one in every ten parts is actually inspected by Dennis Quaid himself after he's shrunk down in a microscopic metrological spaceship with the power to scan individual atoms to ensure they are within spec.

Once each part passes inspection, they are all assembled and tested by engineers with double doctorate degrees to ensure the high quality Colt is known for. Forget about that time a co-worker of mine bought a brand new Colt Commander sized 1911 (because it was... a COLT!) and it fell apart after less than a full magazine of ammo was shot through it. For such high quality, I can't imagine a price I wouldn't pay for it. I'd cash out my 401k for a newly manufactured Colt revolver.

Jokes aside, as I wouldn't cash out my 401k for this, I do expect these to cost 3-4 times more than a typical S&W J frame snubbie. Of course, it's worth it because... COLT!

Deaf Smith said:
Why not the "Magnum Carry"????

Gad, I hope Colt don't make no cheapie.
They won't.

Armscor (Rock Island Armory) makes a .38 Special revolver that's a VERY near clone of the Police Positive and Detective Special. A couple of years ago I discussed with one of my contacts in Colt my suggestion that Colt buy these from Armscor and finish them in-house (or have them finished) in a high -polish Colt blue (rather than the dull black oxide finish Armscor uses). Colt's reaction was that the Armscor revolvers are cast frames, and not up to the quality Colt wants to put their name on. Since I happen to own one of those Armscor revolvers and I have no quibbles about the quality, if it's not good enough for Colt -- then Colt isn't going to introduce something cheap.

The most important thing is that this revolver "wears the pony", I'm so glad for that. Yes, this Colt's will be expensive for sure and I bet won't be made in large numbers. Like I said it will be like there new production 1903s, rare and when they do appear on the open market the collectors will snatch them up for whatever they want to charge for them.

And yes, these will sell, and they will be bragged about and praised, if nothing else for the little horsey and because... "it's a Colt's'!

Quite different from the 1903s.
The pistols are made in small numbers by a small outfit that licenses the name from Colt.
The new revolver is made by Colt & intended for mass sales.

People have been demanding a new DA revolver from Colt for several years, there should never have been any expectations that it'd be Python quality and cost $299.
Denis

We aren't thinking that. At least I'm not, I know it's not possible.

I wonder if this will be their only model. If they could make a full sized gun, say a new King Cobra, I might be interested. Still this small steel Cobra will move, I have no doubt of that. Not my flavor though.

Last edited:
It's up to the buying public whether there'll be additional models.
If this one sells, others will follow.
Denis

I think the jury will be out for a while regarding whether these will be of sufficient quality and whether they are a good value for the money. So I don't expect to form any opinions on that for a while.
I'm just glad that there's another double action revolver maker entering the market. And even more so one with a storied history and reputation. It's good for revolvers in general and good for the industry. So at this stage I think it's irrelevant whether or not this model ends up being mediocre or the best thing since sliced bread. It's worth celebrating based solely on the fact that Colt is back in the revolver business.

People clamor for a new Colt DA and then when it gets announced, nothing but cynical nonsense. Sounds like a lot of people are holding past sins against Colt. At present, they build a very good 1911 and the SAA is the best it's ever been. I expect this to be no different.

So rigorous, that one in every ten parts is actually inspected by Dennis Quaid himself after he's shrunk down in a microscopic metrological spaceship with the power to scan individual atoms to ensure they are within spec.
Please don't do that to me before I've had my coffee, sir :p

You're right, though. I remember what expensive and fragile little snowflakes the Colt revolvers were. The excuse was "craftsmanship," which means little if they rattle themselves out of timing every 300 rounds or so, as my Python did. Meh.

I think it'll come down to price. If it costs significantly more than the S&W equivalent, the market will be limited at best. Colt collectors will balk at it because it's somehow "not like the old ones." If it has any machining marks or imperfections in the finish, people will bemoan it.

If they can't recoup production costs, it'll be a short run.

Good for Colt and good for the revolver community, and thank you DPris for the unbiased and knowledgeable info. The statement "People have been demanding a new DA revolver from Colt for several years, there should never have been any expectations that it'd be Python quality and cost $299" speaks volumes and folks need to listen. I'm sure there will be those naysayers that will find fault(like with S&Ws) that the new guns are not being made to the quality standards of years gone by, and that new metallurgy and processes don't compare to old world craftsmen and their hand fitting. But, IMHO, it's nice to see Colt trying to get back into the DA revolver market and I hope the new revolver is a success. The biggest market for new revolvers right now is SD snubbies, with hunting type revolvers and Cowboy Action guns a fair distance behind. Obvious as to why Colt decided to go snub-nosed .38.

I'll sure be trying to grab up two this year.
One to shoot and the other to hang onto for a while.

This might be Colt's only foray back into the DA market,
or 5 years from now, you might be moaning about passing
on a first year 'New Model Cobra', the pistol that re-started it all.

Either way, this Colt - first year in particular - will go up in value.
(This coming from a guy who saw collector value in the American 2000 as well!)

Photo I saw gives it a MK V look and with decent wood stocks,
it should be fun to play with.

And the cylinder turns the RIGHT way.

JT

A $699 MSRP wouldn't be to bad. If the pic above is accurate it's a nice looking gun too. $200 less than the new Kimber and better looking should be a decent seller.

Back