New Cobra vs SP101?

Another one to look at is the Kimber in that class. I believe it is also a 6-shooter.'

Totally agree.

Between the two you mentioned, I would probably side with the SP101. This is mainly because of the reliability concerns that the new Colt revolvers are having; there are simply too many examples of this.

With that said, I would strongly look at the Kimber k6s. Has 6 rounds, and a superb trigger. I would get a k6s before I would ever get the new Colt.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you decide.

I have an SP101. Great gun. 5 rounds of .357mag and I'm good. Personally, I like the Ruger LCR for EDC. I have heard the Colt isn't what it used to be.

I just noticed the Kimber (K6 line?) wasn't mentioned. Are they out of the equation price wise, not available for the moment, or bad reputation? I've always had an eye out for a deal on one of those.

Try the trigger on both. Colt probably has a superior trigger pull.

That said, I'd go with Ruger b/c they're tougher revolvers.

I’ve heard the Cobra has a better trigger and honestly the extra round is a plus considering they’re roughly the same size.

In my opinion, the Colt has a much better trigger and I too like having 20% more ammunition in a same size gun when it is being carried concealed for self-defense reasons.

Not trying to throw a potential wrench into the equation, but if you’re still considering the Cobra, you may wanna look around to see if you can find a Taurus Model 617 to check out. It’s nearly identical in size to the Colt and has one more round of capacity, albeit 3 ounces heavier. I was able to find one myself and was sold after handling it at my LGS and finding lots of positive reviews from owners. In case you’re interested, here’s the specs beside the Colt (my Night Cobra specifically).

Colt Night Cobra
Caliber: .38 Special +P.
Length: 7.25”
Height: 4.9”
Width: 1.4”
Barrel Length: 2.1”
Weight: 25 oz.
Capacity: 6.

Taurus 617
Caliber: .357 Magnum.
Length: 6.6”
Height: 5.1”
Width: 1.5”
Barrel Length: 2“
Weight: 28 oz.
Capacity: 7.

I don't have experience with the Cobra but I've owned several SP101s. They've been reliable for me. I think they are attractive guns. As others have said, they really do benefit from better grips. The Hogue Hardwood grips are a godsend but do add size. My only reason for keeping stock grips on any of them is probably silly. I've got some custom grip panels that I really like. =P

I can say that modern SP101s don't look as nice or as well made as older ones. For whatever improvements, the newer ones just seem rougher. My last SP101 had an especially bad DA trigger. The cylinder bound up within the first hundred rounds and I had to take it in.

My gunsmith told me that the problem was caused by a bur. He expressed further disappointment after examining the internals. Apparently, the crown as off center too. I could have sent it back to Ruger but I said "what the heck". I had my gunsmith recrown the barrel, do a full trigger job, polish the internals, chamfer the cylinders, and add a trigger stop for the over-travel. Now it's better than stock. Unfortunately, the trigger is still not as smooth as a very lightly shot model from twenty years ago.

One thing I didn't fix and wish I had was the side-play in both the hammer and the trigger. There is much more slop there than in older models. At some point, I'll get around to installing shims. I probably won't buy another Sp101. I've been much happier with the LCR and I hope they'll continue to develop the 3" LCRX line.

FWIW, my SP101 is of relatively recent manufacture and it is pretty much flawless. And the fit-and-finish are outstanding. Just sayin ....
49666129131_f0fc4a8521_z.jpg

Back