New Cap and Balls?

Model12Win

Do you think any of the big makers like Uberti, Pietta etc. will ever bring out any new models?

I'm not just talking about a new barrel length for one of their existing models, I'm talking an "all-new" model we've yet to see to hit the cap and ball market.

There are a lot of cool cap and balls that were used during the Civil War that weren't the same Remington or Colts we see reproduced everywhere. Guns like the Starr DA and SA, Adams, Savage Navy, and others are cool as well. I myself would love to see a repro of the Adams which was used on both sides of the war and is cool because it's a double action:

FHG_1497_2.jpg

I think it would be really fresh and exciting to see one of the Italian makers come out with something we've yet to see. It's just all the same Remington or Colt/Confederate Colt copy type stuff. There's variety sure, but really how much variety? I for one thing it's cool there are so many Colt models out but personally feel like once you own one open top Colt, you've owned them all.

Sorry if I sound jaded or stupid... it's been a long day. What are your thoughts on this fellas?

I'd be up for a Dean and Adams double action.
I first heard of it in a series of fictional westerns where the hero carried one.
Been kind of longing for one ever since.
Obviously can't afford the real thing, of course.

Howdy

Here is an Adams that is going to be auctioned off this coming Saturday.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/111/576.php

And here is a Starr

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/111/283.php

You can even bid over the phone or on line if you want.

Sorry, it just ain't going to happen that these obscure revolvers will ever be manufactured. Just too limited a market. A few guys on gun boards like this who would like to have them is not enough of a market to justify tooling up to make something like this.

Just look at all the hoopla surrounding the Merwin Hulbert venture a few years ago. All kinds of guys shouting they wanted one, but it all came to nothing anyway.

Or how about a Tranter?

601px-Hannie_caulder_7_zps32dfb4b2.jpg

400px-Raquel_Welch_GunL1_zpswi22ddyu.jpg

Last edited:
Can't afford the real Dean and Adams or Raquel.
Besides both have undoubtedly deteriorated since they were young.

Last edited:
The good news is, home-brew manufacturing is on the cusp of a big explosion.

Already you can by a 10"x10"x2" CNC router that can mill aluminum for under $500. This technology is only going to improve.

Communities like GrabCad and other have people submitting user-generated 3D models of different kinds of firearms.

It won't be long and you will be able to manufacture these things for yourself.

Steve

It's all about money. The BP guns available today are the direct result of consumer interest driving the market, so I'm sure if enough people asked for an unusual model to be resurrected from the ashes it would happen.

Forty years ago there was almost NOTHING in the way of BP and period weapons being made, yet consumer demand brought many to life again.

It is good to know that I am not the only person who has thought about an Adams replica. Those guns are in interesting piece of history, and it would be fun to have one that could be shot.

I am also interested in the history of double action revolvers. I have seen some articles about this subject. But I have not seen really substantial writing about double action blackpowder revolvers. My understanding is that double action cap and ball revolvers were reliable enough to be popular among British military officers as a personal purchase weapon. So the history of double action goes back much further than many people realize. But I guess that for American blackpowder shooters, revolver means single action.

The double action Cooper and the Remington New Model Belt revolvers would be easier to manufacture and are more familiar looking; ugly guns don't sell well.

I think the LeMat Revolvers were really neat looking , I still remember the T.V. show that featured one....Johnny Ringo , but in reality the Colt and Remington revolvers would still be the best sellers.....just as they were back then.

When I bought another revolver , to go with my 1851 Navy replica, I looked at the LeMat, but I wound up getting a Colt 1862 Pocket Police ....the LeMatt was big and bulky , sort of clunky looking , the 1862 Colt just looked so good ......sleek sexy little thing. Looks do figure into it !
Gary

gwpercle - it's that darn $600 to $900 price tag of the LeMat's that turns me off...

That's real money there.

Back