"New and Improved" round that makes sense

I was in town on Sunday and the 6.8 Western was the majority of ammunition on the shelves. I didn't see a rifle, but then I wasn't really looking for a new rifle. At least if you buy a new rifle you can get some ammo to shoot.

Last edited:
This is similar to the 6.5 PRC as well. I saw a YouTube review of the PRC and the host stated the reason that the cartridge is 6.5mm and not 7mm is because you can't get 3200 fps from a 140 grain short action 7mm. I commented that perhaps they should contact Winchester because the 7mm WSM 140gr is rated at 3225fps. The 7mm WSM really deserves to be more popular.

Fact is, the vast majority of hunters kill the vast majority of their game inside 200 yards. At those distances BC is meaningless and SD is more important. Use a premium bullet with a decent SD in a cartridge properly suited to your quarry. All these new long range cartridges serve a purpose I guess, but it's mostly to pad gun & ammo company wallets.

After 30 years of PA hunting I've switched to a Ruger American Predator .22-250 for the 1:10 twist and I'm using Federal 60gr Nosler Partitions. Virtually all my kills are inside 100 yards, if not 75. So why do I need my .308, .270 or .35 Rem? (Secretly I love the .35, it's a 760 pump.) I just got the RAP .22-250 so I'm excited to see it in action this year. I plan on getting a Boyds stock to replace the plastic. I only wish it was a Go Wild edition because I really like the Burnt Bronze cerakote.

Back