New 6.5 Creedmore

I lap all my factory barrels. It sure didn't clean up this barrel. I think I'm going to work up some loads for it before I contact Savage. I do have a few rifles that shoot so-so with factory ammo, but really shine with the handloaded stuff, so I'll do some testing and see if there is a problem. I think I'm going to slug the barrel to see what's going on in the bore. That will give me some needed info. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks for your input.

I lap all my factory barrels. It sure didn't clean up this barrel. I think I'm going to work up some loads for it before I contact Savage. I do have a few rifles that shoot so-so with factory ammo, but really shine with the handloaded stuff, so I'll do some testing and see if there is a problem. I think I'm going to slug the barrel to see what's going on in the bore. That will give me some needed info. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks for your input.

I have a 12LRP in 6.5 as well. Wife bought it for me for my birthday a few months ago. First time out it put two 3shot groups in one hole at 100yrds using factory Hornady ELD-M 140's. Then on the next shot it blew out the extractor, blew the primer out of the case, and stuck the case in the chamber. A trip back to Savage to find out the chamber was too tight in the throat. This was a known issue a while back but was supposedly corrected late last year, mine was a new production so I guess its still a problem. Anyways after I got it back with the same ammo I was lucky to get under 1" groups. I never measured the chamber before I sent the gun back but after being disappointed with its accuracy upon my return I did. I found that the factory ammo was .048 off the lands. I made a few different batches at .010, .020, and .030 off the lands and found that .020 off I was getting one ragged hole groups again. Now I just have to make time to set up my chrono and fine tune them. Had the gun over 4 months now and have only been able to take it out 3 times.

I had no signs of over pressure in the factory ammo. It all fit very nicely in the chamber and snugged up very nicely. I haven't checked the distance to the lands yet, but I have to get the case to allow me to do that. I guess I could do it the old fashioned way. I think this particular rifle doesn't like the powder in the factory ammo. I have to find the combo that will put the bullet to sleep sooner. I don't know what bullets the factory ammo was loaded with, but I think the AE was Hornady and the Win. was Sierra. I'll be trying the Hornady ELD 140's. Thing that interested me most was that the accuracy seemed better at distance than it was at 100. We'll see what happens.

My Long range rifle is a 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor also,our club range only goes out to 300 yards and its really boring with the 12 LRP,I have to drive little over a hour to get to a range that goes to 600 yards and the 1st few trips were fun because it was new to me and to shoot that far but now it's getting boring again but one thing I do like is I meet folks that basically only shoot long range and its interesting to watch them and learn.
Think there is a 1000 yard range about 3 hours away but it's privet and you need to be asked to join,fill out paper work and get voted in and it's not cheep..I don't need that so it's time to find someone around here that knows a farmer or two that own sections that are flat and will let a person shoot on it but anyway I can't wait to be able to shoot 1000 yards.

Back