New .308 for 1200 or less

Just to clarify on the Winchester Supergrade:

There are two model lines, one with a really really nice Maple stock around the $1500 range, and a Walnut line around $1200.

They only come in a few calibers in the Maple, but the Walnut has all the common calibers including the 308 Winchester.

The Featherweight is a great rifle as well, I have one of those too and they are lightweight, and accurate. You can get into one of those around $800 leaving you plenty in your budget for a nice Leupold VX and mounts.

The Featherweight is a great rifle as well, I have one of those too and they are lightweight, and accurate. You can get into one of those around $800 leaving you plenty in your budget for a nice Leupold VX and mounts.

With his budget, the Winchester Model 70 featherweight is the winning ticket. It is a gun worthy of being in anyone's collection yet leave the OP enough money to get a fine scope and rings.

I'm sure he can get a model 70 featherweight for $850, Burris signature low rings, $50,
Leupold VX 2 3x9x40 $250-$300

That would be a deer/elk/antelope/hog/black bear slaying setup that will last a lifetime. And Leupold warranty is #1...+ They are made here in the good ol' USA

a good used rifle comes to mind, i bought a like new rem 700 left hand bdl in .308 for 500.00, with a leupold 2.5x8 scope bought used for 180.00. with 165gr nosler BT and varget powder it shoots honest 1.5" three shot groups at 200 yards from a rest. eastbank.

Remington 700 VTR

Because it has a 10" twist, I bought the new SS piece and put a Magpul 700 Hunter stock on it. Shoots 1/2" all the live long day with 150 CORELOKTs! Under $1k for both. Forgot to mention I put the Nikon P-308 (4x12) with BDC reticle. It's factory set for a 168@2700, but you can calibrate your own loads with the Nikon web software.

I see that someone already recommended the Winchester 70 Extreme Weather. That was going to be my suggestion.

I have one and it's awesome.

Back