New .308 for 1200 or less

Huh12345

I'm in the market for a .308 rifle for no more than 1200 bucks. I want a durable gun that won't rust or corrode, reliable, and a good shooter out of the box. I'm not looking for a super long range gun. At most I would be shooting 300 yards, I just want to have a 3x9x40 Nikon Scope on it. The ruger gunsite scout rifle looked very intriguing. Any suggestions or recommendations?

This

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...t-production/model-70-extreme-weather-ss.html

Or this

http://www.kimberamerica.com/montana

I have both, street prices are about $1200 or a bit less. Both are mechanically equally accurate, but the Kimber is still under 6 lbs scoped. It is a little harder to shoot as well. But it ain't bad. Either rifle will keep most loads right around 1" at 100 yards. Often better.

I have my Winchester in a much lighter McMillan Edge stock that took about 1/2 lb off the weight with the factory stock. It is still about 1.5 lbs heavier than the Kimber.

But this is proving to be more accurate than either. You can buy 3 of them at your budget.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/6974.html

I like it well enough that I just bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor, it gets it's 1st range visit in the morning.

I would recommend you take a look at the Ruger American in 308.
it is not fancy and you won't get compliments on the stock but they are shooters. There are accessories for the stock as you can get a youth stock, a full size with standard comb or a raised comb (ala Monte Carlo)

new .308 for 1200 or less

I like the Savage Scout rifle quite a bit and it is very capable at 300 yards and farther. I haven't priced one lately but it ought to be a good bit less than $1200.

Rick H.

Look thorugh this lineup for Savage.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/series/

This one sounds like in your ball park.
Sometimes scopes are part of a package, not great ones but adequate and certainly good for hunting at 300 yds.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/FCSSWeatherWarrior

Keep in mind, these are thinner barrels for hunting, 3 shots and they need to cool off a lot to stay on, good for hunting, have to manage the heat for target shooting. They do cool off fast as well.

The acu trigger is very good and adjustable in those models down to 2.5 lbs.

A good place to shop is Cabella, Dicks or the other bit outfits (Bas Pro), some have store special made for them.

As usual, I recommend HOWA. Be advised that you won't find a rifle " that won't rust or corrode" to some extent(even SS).

If you have a Cabela's nearby so you could order it and pick it up, you might look at the Savage 10T with the accu-trigger and a 24 inch barrel that they make especially for Cabela's. It is priced at $600 but there is a $75 rebate on the .308 and 6.5 mm Creedmoor.

I just ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor model 10 T on-line from Cabela's since I already have 4 .308s and don't need another one. It will be shipped to my local Cabela's for pick up with no shipping charge. It's hard to beat that price and rebate for a model 10 Savage.

Every Savage I have ever shot, and I have two Savage .308s and my son has a Savage .308 and a .223, shoot great right out of the box.

Both my two .308 average well under 0.5 inches at 100 yards with match ammo and the right powder loads. The 25 best loads with each rifle average just at 0.250. Both really like Sierra TMKs - one prefers 155 and 168 grain TMKs and the other prefers 168 and 175 grain TMKs.

Lot's of great suggestion's here related to what .308 to get. One of my favorite cal's! My question is why the PROSTAFF 3-9x40? I do some work for Nikon and I am just curious. At least consider stepping up to a PROSTAFF 4-12 or maybe a PROSTAFF 5 4.5-18. Any of them with a BDC reticle will help you make that 300 yard shot when you use Spot On with the BDC reticle.
Drop me a note if you have any question's on how to dial in your rifle,scope and ammo.

Tikka T3 Lite, CZ 550, Remington 5R stainless, Savage Hog Hunter, Sako TRG or other Sako rifle fitting your needs, Kimber Montana, or something used purchased on the snipers hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year I bought and hunted with my new Sako A7 308 and I can happily recommend it to anyone. What a great rifle.

If you like wood and blued steel over stainless and composite, check out a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade. The Walnut Supergrade can be had in your price range and it among the nicest hunting rifle at any price IMO.

I have one in 300 WSM that I heart a LOT!

I just ordered a Howa barrelled action from Brownells that is cerakoted. With the budget you listed you can have your pick of stocks, triggers, bases, rings, and have a very nice semi-custom do-it-yourself rifle. :cool:

I ordered the heavy barreled 6.5 CM.

look at the savage model 10fp

mine wears a choate super varmint stock,20min rail and 8-32x50 glass,,,scary accurate,,,,sure makes me look good
it likes nosler 175gr bullets and varget powder

i have just under $800 in the set up,,, it is amazing how well it shoots for what i have in it

it is a little heavy but i like heavy in a rifle

i dont think you will be sorry with a savage

my .02

ocharry

"...no more than 1200 bucks..." Assuming you're including taxes, etc, look at a Savage Package.
"...that won't rust or corrode..." No such thing. All firearms require regular maintenance and cleaning. Even SS or coated.
The whole 'scout rifle' concept was one of Cooper's more stupid ideas. His idea of what a PBI Recce troopie should be carrying when nobody, anywhere, was using a scoped, bolt action, rifle.

With a budget that high, I would look to get an heirloom quality hunting rifle. I quit buying "budget guns" several years ago and have since replaced all my budget guns with quality rifles. Sure, budget guns shoot fine and will get the job done, but I have the money for better fit and finish these days.

Anyway, If I were looking for a .308 with $1200 to spend I would get either a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade (beautiful stock and the best production action ever), or a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather.

The Supergrade has a beautiful maple stock, high gloss finish, AND a beautiful bluing high gloss finish on the barrel and action. This is a truly beautiful gun, but will require some maintenance to retain its beauty if you use it.

The Model 70 Extreme Weather is a bit less expensive, it has a more durable finish on the stock, and it is stainless steel on the barrel and receiver. This model is more intended for hard use but still retains all the features of the Supergrade.

If those two rifles are a bit too high on you budget (they are both right around $1200), Then you can look at the Model 70 Fetherweight or Model 70 Sporter. The Featherweight and sporter I think both have the controlled pre-1964 action which is what you want in a model 70. Both of them can be found for $800-$900 each.

I do not work for winchester, my latest hunting rifles are custom builds and I have some $$ into them, but if I were to buy a production hunting rifle....Any of the above is what I would buy, and they will still be valuable many years from now.

Back