New .260 Remington or 7mm-08 - I'm Still Trying to Learn

Oh, come on, sensop - so seminary is a place where... somehow I don't think that was the intent of calling a religious school a seminary ( although in practice it might be a different story ).

Modern American English is a patois of many languages. Sometimes in usage the generally accepted meaning gets reversed from the original. Example: if you try to clarify what the framers of the Second Amendment were trying to do you get called a reactionary ( radicals are those godless Hanoi Jane Fonda hippy types that do love-ins with dope smokers and gays and commie scum, right? )
Well, technically. though it isn't common usage, a Second Amendment supporter is a radical ( same base word in latin as radish ) RADIX or root: one who points to the basic root premises from which a situation has grown.

I'm tolerant, however.

If you want to go Jackrabbit hunting with me then feel free to bring your 475 Atkinson and Marquart or your custom Wells actioned double square bridge mauser chambered for the 510 Wells and at least 200 rounds of full charge ammo ( you're practicing for your next safari, right, it's training and not fun ). I'll bring my mannlicher stocked 223. Be sure to bring a cell phone and a global position thingie so I know the right directions to give the CareFlight helicopter.

God, I just spent about two months moderating a forum and responding professionally to everyone over on bladeforums.com, and now it feels wonderful to "give 'em hell Harry" as just me, joe schmuck, only. Don't worry, Schmit, I'm not trolling, just venting a little spleen I've kept in too long. LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Don't worry, Schmit, I'm not trolling, just venting a little spleen I've kept in too long. LOL[/quote]

Not worried at all, venting is fine. Hey... can I come with you guys if I bring my .45-110 Shiloh? :D

You guys are giving me a headache with all this obscure caliber speak, I'm new, remember.

I have a proposal after doing a little research, here it is - caliber versus job at hand just to make it easier for me.

Varmints - Rats, Skunks - .22LR
Any larger varmint - .220 Swift
Enemy Troops - .223 Rem
Game and Villains - .308 Win
.270 Win
.30-06 Spg.
Large Game - .375 H&H Mag

Keep the rest, OK, how am I doing here ?

Best,

Mike H

Just got back from talking to they guy who's probably sold me more than half my guns in the last 30 years. He tells me the 260 Rem is looking like it is DOA, and not to sink money into a gun no-one wants if you need to sell it. 7-08 is doing better saleswise and more likely to still be around 10 or 20 years from now.

Thanks Rusty.

That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Re your earlier post about how you started your rifle shooting young, I can only say I'm envious. Sounds like your old man was a winner.

Best,

Mike H

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sensop:
patrickt66,

Are you responding to a another thread?
I would question the reliability of the persons who claim the .303 is such a punishing round.
What person would that be?

I read this thread down to your post and don't know what you're talking about.
[/QUOTE]

Quote from Mike's original question:

had intended buying my own weapon for a forthcoming deer hunt, but in the end I'm going to borrow an old .303 British, which I'm reliably informed kicks like hell (those Brits must be tough).

End of quote:

*That* is where Pat got his initial idea.

As for .303 being `hard' on the shooter... I don't think so. {GRIN!} I'm just a short little `shrimp' and a `flea-weight' to boot and I actually have found .303 to be quite comfortable shooting even for fairly extended periods. 'Course I'm talking about a `non-sporterized' or `non-jungle carbine' one. I'd expect that if one went and either cut one down or got one of the so-called `jungle carbines' that things might get a bit `stiffer' due to several factors reduced weight only being one. About 2 months ago I got to shoot an `original' `sniper' model and it was just as I remembered the `surplus' one I bought back in the late '50s. You knew it was there but it didn't press the issue and end up giving you a case of `the flinches' after 50 or so rounds. Personally, if I had to use a `borrowed' rifle to go hunting and had the choice between an 06 in a `sporter' type configuration and a .303 in `stock' configuration, I'd probably take the .303. But that is *only* *my* opinion due to past familiarity with the old Enfields.

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

[This message has been edited by Halfpint (edited April 14, 2000).]

Back