Never seen or heard of this before.

VAcrackshot

Inactive
First things first, this is my first post here so if I've missed a previous thread, I apologize. A few days ago I swung by the local gun store to get some new ear pro and of course I had to check out the case to see what they had. Something caught my eye for whatever reason and I'd never seen this EVER. This revolver is a Taurus M85 but it has a 4" barrel. I really don't see the point in buying this model with a longer barrel but naturally I bought it out of pure curiosity. I can't find any background on this besides it being a special package paired with the Bulldog Vault. I managed to work them down a bit because I have zero interest in the vault but I really couldn't tell you if I did ok or not on this one. If any of you have any info or background at all on this I'd be glad to hear it. What is the purpose of the ridiculous gap? How many were made? Have I just been living under a rock or is this odd? The photo I took exceeded the limit so I hope you guys are able to see it via the link. Thanks and nice to meet you all!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/?u...=safe&realattid=1557122648543068160-local0&zw

I tried the link and got a gmail login screen. If you must have an account to see your pix, then not all will see it. Some use photo bucket or other free services. I have just loaded the pix to this site directly per the instructions in the site help.
Welcome to the forum. :)

firing line forums>forum support>site questions & tech support>sticky on posting photos

Can you not set your resolution small enough? The last post...#6..tells how to resize on this site. You can also use the 'edit' button in the lower right corner of your post to make additions/corrections, for a limited time.

I may not have your answer anyway. Where is the gap? barrel/cylinder or on the vault?

Last edited:
Somebody swapped out that barrel.
No way anything with the ejector rod being that mismatched would ever leave a factory - no matter how bad their supposed reputation is/was.

(& actually, Rossi has a pretty good reputation)

Yeah, it's more better to ask before buying anything that looks suspicious.
Does the front sight align correctly?
If the barrel swap wasn't done right, it might not.
Is the ejector rod supposed to contribute to the cylinder lock up?
That might be a concern.

Well I would normally agree with you 100% but the first thing I did was search the serial number which brought me to this (2-850041M-NT). After searching, every single one is like that. I have to admit I'm just puzzled as to the thought process but even though it's awkward looking I like that it's unique. Is this dumb of me? As far as I know, there aren't any serious concerns with the exception of the brand but I haven't had an issue with Taurus/Rossi in the past (knock on wood). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who had the same thought.
Check it out. Is there any possible way there is someone randomly screwing up barrel swaps on a mass scale besides the factory?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/962917234/Taurus-Model-85-38SPC-Black-Finish-4-Barrel-2-850041-N.htm

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/2-850041M-NT?is_firearms_wikiarms=0

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...l-5-rounds-rubber-grips-black-725327613299.do

Waste not, want not.
Probably no worse than when one of the major automobile companies had a shortage of auto transmissions for their V8 engines, and used a surplus from their four cylinder cars.
If your revolver passes muster on all other counts, then all is well.

Is the ejector rod supposed to contribute to the cylinder lock up?
That might be a concern.

Newer Taurus 85s, no. Lockup is on a detent at the top of the crane, which makes for a bit longer ejection rod. Older guns locked up on the front of the ejector rod, like S&Ws.

I can't tell from the pic.

If you guys would like to see pictures from different angles, let me know. I just snapped a quick one that showed the obvious oddity. I'm still not sure what to make of it and to be honest, I'm not a huge revolver guy so I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

If you click on the little "mountain in a yellow square icon" and paste the Photobucket link into the little thing that will pop up, your picture will appear, thusly...

20170121_033645_zps9km8ixgm.jpg

High Vally Ranch

I don't understand what you are asking. The photo is the attachment to the post. What is an image attachment? If you mean text for the photo, don't you just use the return key start a new line under the photo insert and type what you want?

Maybe someone else will know what you mean.

I mean this:
When I attach an image file, instead of posting the URL of the image, it shows in the post as attachment and you have to click on the attachment to see it, instead of it posting automatically as an image:

Attachments

• lcp001.jpg
    lcp001.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 921
I think I figured it out from your previous post.
I copied the attachment URL and then added it as a link to this post so now it shows automatically. Sorry for the thread hijack!:D
attachment.php

No way anything with the ejector rod being that mismatched would ever leave a factory - no matter how bad their supposed reputation is/was.

I have to agree with Hal. Though almost anything is possible, I suppose, it's hard to imagine any manufacturer cobbling together a mismatch like this and expect it to sell.

I did a little searching and didn't find exactly what I was looking for but my thought is that Taurus had a bunch of left over 4" barrels from some other model such as the model 80 and nowhere else to use them. So some genius in marketing said to stick them on the model 85 frame and we'll sell them as a "special limited edition" model. Don't worry about the mismatched lug, that's what makes them "Special". I've been in several production/inventory meetings in which the discussions went in that direction.:o

Didn't you look at it before you bought it?

The op did but decided to buy it anyhow as he explained in his original post:

Something caught my eye for whatever reason and I'd never seen this EVER. This revolver is a Taurus M85 but it has a 4" barrel. I really don't see the point in buying this model with a longer barrel but naturally I bought it out of pure curiosity.

The last time I saw something that odd in a gun, I was not compelled to buy it. Rather I was compelled to hand it back to the sales man, smile politely and say "No thanks."

Everybody has to climb their own mountains (smile),
Dave

Back