Neighborhood watch captain shoots teen, claims self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the issue of race may very well have played into this. I also wonder if there was a crime problem in the neighborhood. Why did the Watch Captain feel the need to confront the young man? I am sure there is more evidence than what the article seemed to indicate

Yesterday and today I shot at our local match with one of the officers who responded to this call.
Crime problem, yes.
The teen while being followed turned and faced man following him. The teen asked if he had a problem and when the neighborhood watch man stated no the teens reply was now you do have a problem and attacked him. During the scuffle is when the teen was shot. Zimmerman's face was bloodied up because of the altercation. For now the Sanford police have handed the case over to the District Attorneys office and will let the state decide whether to prosecute or not.

Whole lotta folks here just banging away with out knowing. Just glad they are not on my jury pool

I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out how an unarmed kid was a threat to a guy in a car

He should have remained as a faithful observer. If the kid approached the car he should have driven away. In my mind the only way a confrontation could have taken place is if Zimmerman initiated it by getting out of the car. If he initiated the confrontation he was the aggressor and self defense is going to be a difficult defense.

I hope a jury gets the chance to hear the facts.

Last edited:
The guy was in the car. He was armed.
The kid was walking down a street , not armed.

I don't care what happened outside of that.

He murdered the kid- no excuses.

I don't know if i am happy with the idea of armed neighborhood watch. It can be a thin line between neighborhood watch and vigilante. There where guys that set themselves up as neighborhood watch here in the past they were the biggest thugs in the area. We have neighborhood watch here they call them the police.

The guy was in the car. He was armed.
The kid was walking down a street , not armed.

I don't care what happened outside of that.

He murdered the kid- no excuses

I don't know where you got this info from BUT as I stated in an earlier post that is NOT what I was told by one of the responding officers to this shooting.

Wait I must be wrong because it is on the Internet:rolleyes:

This has happened to me a couple times.

Growing up black in a mostly white city this brings back memories of racist creeps stalking me. As a younger kid in school you don't know what this guy is thinking, he should of never got out of the car. 1) Young boys get get kidnapped just like young girls do. 2) Not wearing a uniform and not identifying yourself makes you a stalker. 3) People pick up on emotions if you are getting out of the car to confront someone chances are the situation is not going to go good because they have already sniff out your aggressive nature.

Lucky for me when something crazy happened and some creep said something or tried to confront me there was a level headed adult around to put an end to it. When I was 12 - 17 I can't count the never of times racist creeps have approached me or yelled something at a little kid.

This dude needs to go to jail.

you don't know what this guy is thinking, he should of never got out of the car.

With all due respect to Don P, Shakgul makes a very important point. The guy had no business getting out of his car; that action is what precipitated the subsequent events.

As a neighborhood watch captain, his job was to observe and report to LE, not to play policeman.

The teen while being followed turned and faced man following him. The teen asked if he had a problem and when the neighborhood watch man stated no the teens reply was now you do have a problem and attacked him. During the scuffle is when the teen was shot. Zimmerman's face was bloodied up because of the altercation.

Even if that's 100% true, it doesn't make the shooting justified. Zimmerman provoked the conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back