Negatives-ghost ring sights

am I the only one that has seen the GR set-up that has tritium dots on the front post and two on either side of the rear peep???...

The tritium inserts on the ghost ring are too close to the eye, and, for many people, they're too bright and overpower the tritium insert on the front sight.

I reckon I should clarify my original comment: Shooting in CERTAIN low light conditions with ghost ring sights -- it's hard to determine whether or not you're actually peering through the rear sight, over the rear sight or to the side of the rear sight.

This neophyte will throw his two cents into the fray...

I have often wondered about a set up like DeakonG describes - a rifle sight whose two-dotted bullhorns close up to form a ring, thus a hybrid ghost-ring/rifle sight. I'd also like to see the rear sight barrel-mounted, primarily because I lke that location, it works well with my eyes, but also to avoid that re-zeroing thing that Dave McC talks about, when the rear sight is mounted on the receiver...

And I'd like to see the whole setup in cheap-ass fiberoptic stuff (looks like fishing line to me) instead of tritium...

Just thinking out loud here...

Trijicon make a very nice set of sights that replace the rifle sights on a Remington barrel. The front is a square post with a tritium dot and the rear is a square notch with tritium dots on each side. They are much like what you see on pistol sights. They are very expensive.

The Ashley Outdoors express sights are very fast, but I find that they not any more accurate then a bead. For precise aiming with slugs it's hard to beat a good set of ghost rings. Of course, a scope would be better, but it would add bulk that would make the shotgun less useful. (IMHO)

Scattergun Tech. used to make a rear GR sight with tritium dots, but as said before, they are to close to the eye. MMC puts a tritium bar under their aperature. LPA is coming out with a GR sight with tritium dots, but I haven't seen one yet.

Back