NEF Handi-Rifle Barrels

winchester1300

I am considering getting one of these for a first centerfire rifle. I kind of like the idea of being able to switch calibers cheaply. Probably get the .223 to start with and move up to 30.06 or .270 from there. Is this possible to put a 30.06 on the little .223?? Can these be easily switched back? So you can shoot .223 one minute and 30.06 the next?
THANKS

winchester1300

Winchester1300,

I don't know about the interchangeability of the different rifle chamberings. The entire rifle only costs about $160 from D&R. I'd get one and see if it changes over. I've been meaning to get one of their heavy barreled .223s for squirrels and pigs out to 150. Coyotes too. They are back strong in the East.

Winchester1300,
NEF has replacement barrels in 22 hornet,.223,30-30,45-70,.357 Mag., and .44 Rem. Mag., didn't see a listing for .270 or .30/06. Replacement barrels cost $75 each and need to be fitted at the factory, you have to send the receiver and forend back to the factory when ordering replacement barrels.

I have a handi-rifle in .223 Rem. came from the factory with an awful trigger. Sent it back to NEF to have it fixed. Now it has a sweet trigger pull of about 4 pounds.

Winchester1300,

Magnum Man is correct about the proper method of fitting a barrel to the action. My answer was a little misleading. (Think twice and post once, hmm?).

D&R is a catalog retailer that is online at D&R Sports Center.

They carry .22 Hornet, .223, .30-30, .243, .270, .30-'06, .308, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45-70, 7x57 Mauser and .280 Rem in the NEF Handi-Rifle. Not to mention .22 LR and .410 thru 10 ga shotguns.

A guy i work with has one with 6 barrels, He had the .223 first then sold it and got the .30-06, because all the barrels he has will fit the .30-06 receiver but would'nt fit the .223 receiver. I'll ask him more about it when he comes in.

[This message has been edited by RDF (edited April 21, 2000).]

Magnum has the list of calibers right for the optional barrels. I started with the .308 Heavy-Barrel "Survivor" rifle (with storage in stock - truly "handy"), and will soon be adding .223, and a 20 guage shotgun barrel as well. The trick is to pick your major long-range caliber, i.e. .270, .30-06, etc. and then add from the list of available barrels which are then factory-fitted. if I'm correct, the optional barrels all come in standard-weight, bull-barrels not being available.
It's a good concept, and the reputation for accuracy and ruggedness make this a great utility rifle/shotgun package.
Hope this helped.

------------------
"...that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Abraham Lincoln,The Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863.
"Once more into the breach, dear friends, or close the wall up with our English dead".Henry V

Thanks guys! Does anyone know if the barrels can be switched back easily?? So once you get a 30.06 barrel you can shoot .223 and 30.06 without any further modifications?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by winchester1300:
Is this possible to put a 30.06 on the little .223?? Can these be easily switched back? So you can shoot .223 one minute and 30.06 the next?
THANKS

winchester1300
[/quote]

The little NEF is an itch I've been meaning to scratch so I just did. I drove over to D&R's about an hour ago and bought the SB2 SL5 (lightweight w/synthetic stock) Handi Rifle in the .243. $180 plus $5 background check plus scope rings plus tax came out to $219.

The SB1 shotgun models can only be fitted with other shotgun barrels, for as little as 35$ fixed choke, $50 dollars riffled slug, and $80 for .410/45colt with screw in choke tubes (plus $10 shipping and handling).

If you buy the SB2 handi rifle, you can have any of the calibers Magnum Man listed (22 Horn, .223, 30-30, 45-70, 357, 44 mag, but not the 3006) fitted for $75 (plus $10 S&H) or any shotgun barrel other than 10 gauge for the prices listed above. .

NEF cautions that the Monte Carlo stock is not compatible with rifle sighted barrels so if you want to have both scoped and unscoped barrels you should go for the conventional stock.

Sounds to me like the multi barrel option is another itch I may have to scratch. A 20ga or 12ga rifled slug barrel for$50 + 10 s&h sounds too good to pass up.

Tom, Pa

How well do these rifles shoot? Are they pretty accurate, or just so-so?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

DAL,
My .223 will shoot just under an inch at 100 yards with Federal Premiums loaded with speers 50gr.TNT hollowpoints and around an inch at 100 yards with remingtons 55gr soft point.

I have a .30-30 that I load to "fare-thee-well" and it is a 1.5 inch shooter at 100 yds with an old Herter's 2.75x scope. It's been "Ackley Improved". I will improve the scope this year, then check group again.

I shoot Nosler Ballistic Tips and it's my main hunting rifle. I have a Ruger M77 in .30-'06 with a Nikon 2-7 as back up during hunting season. Does that tell you how dependable it is?

The forearm keeps the barrel on the action. Remove the forearm, release the barrel with the opening button and get ready to catch the barrel. It just unhooks from the hinge pin. Put the other one on, lock the action and put the forearm back on. You're in business.

I still see a heavy barreled .223 listed. That's the one I want. D&R answered my email this afternoon. All NEF single shots are $162.70.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 22, 2000).]

I am wanting to get into longrange shooting but can't afford building a custom rifle or the REM 700.

I've been wondering how the handi-rifle would do at 300 to 500 yards when chambered in 30-06. Will it stay inside an 8" circle?

If the the handi-rifle won't do the trick I guess I will need to scope my 6.5x55 Sweede. If I have to go that route does anyone know where I can get a scope mount that will not require drilling & tapping and will still allow the use of stripper clips?

------------------

Winchester1300,
I believe that is the case for both sporter and heavy weight barrels. NEF does sell the scope rail and hammer extension as an accessorie for $14.Just checked my .223 and it appears they drill and tapped the barrels to except the scope rail.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magnum Man:
..NEF does sell the scope rail and hammer extension as an accessorie for $14...[/quote]

I was starting to wonder why a straight shooter like D&R billed my card $180 for a $162 dollar gun, now I understand. The basic SL(super light) now comes with a factory installed scope base, plus an accessory kit that includes a hammer offset, swivels, nylon sling, and trigger locks.

I haven't decided if I'm going to be happy with the heavy trigger pull. I'm thinking seriuosly about spending the $50 to have a slug barrel fitted, and may have the trigger done at the same time.

Tom, Pa

I have had up to 5 different NEF rifles and shotguns. They shoot better than a cheap rifle oughta, and are constructed well.

I now currently now have only 2 a 30-30 Win synthetic, and a Pardner shotgun. Both have an interchangeable rifled slug barrel. The slug barrels come from the factory with rifle sights only. I had a gunsmith drill and tap both slug barrels and added NEF's scope mount rails. These barrels all wear a Weaver V3 scope. As does the 30-30 barrel.

The reason that I only have 1 rifle from NEF at this time is because the rimless calibers, .223-.243.30-06 etc. have a problem with spent case extraction with certain handloads and factory ammo also. I think that the problem is from a poor factory design. I have had problems and also have heard of others with this problem. The rimmed cases have a different extractor that encompasses quite a bit of the rim, and I have shot over 1000 rounds thru my 30-30 with no problems ever. Rimmed cases include the 30-30, 22 Hornet, .357, .44 mag, and the 45-70. Hope this helps.

YOUR BROTHER IN ARMS------CHAINSAW

Back