needing opinions on trying gun with bigger caliber

CWKahrFan, thanks for those links! That is gorgeous work they do!!! I am very impressed. Much "custom" work I've seen is very cut and dry while they had some meticulous and ornate designs, I got them bookmarked!

cgeyser, believe it or not the single most comfortable 1911 I have fired was a Colt Defender--a 1911 pattern pistol with a Commander sized grip and a 3" barrel and short slide. The recoil was more of a firm push than anything else.

Among the semi cartridges, most people think the 9 mm is the softest shooting, followed by the .45, and the .40 is snappiest. So your reaction to the .40 is not surprising. If you are wanting a larger caliber for variety, it sounds like the .45 in one of its iterations would be the way to go. The 1911 is a classic firearm with a wide range of prices, qualities, and features available.

If you are looking for variety but want to stay with 9 mm, the Beretta 92FS is widely available, moderately priced, and very well made, and it feels and handles nothing like a Glock. It is also one of the most handsome handguns around. I personally have a G26 as well as a 92FS. The G26 is what I carry every day, but the 92FS is a pleasure to shoot.

I also like the Beretta--it feels very good to me, and I have had excellent results with one. There is (to me) one drawback--it can be difficult if you have small hands.

Another possibility to consider if you want to stick with the 9mm is the CZ-75. I have the CZ75B model. It fits my hand like a dream and is one of the most comfortable pistols to shoot.

Another plus for it is the REALLY flat profile--the slide mounts inside of the frame, instead of the outside. And it can be super accurate with good ammunition, too. Its slim profile lends itself to concealed carry, as well. Final thing--if you buy one, it won't break the bank.

cgeyser said:
P5, the .357 felt similar to my glock 26 so it didn't do much for me.

I'm suspecting you were shooting .38s if the .357 felt like your Baby Glock. I say this having a Glock 26 and two 4" S&W .357 revolvers too. Tossing full-power .357s is a slightly different experience compared to shooting even a compact 9mm. ;)

Otherwise, what strikes your fancy? How many different firearms have you tried? Everybody has something that they will prefer over all others. I have a soft-spot for double-action S&W revolvers (rare for a young guy I've noticed).

What do you want to do with a larger pistol? Compete? Shoot longer range? Just make more noise and bigger holes in things? Deciding what you want it for will help.

And of course there's always the "I saw it in the gun shop and liked it" approach too. :D

Thanks Nathan I don't know anything about kahrs except my ccw instructor in the past said he found the trigger pull is harder on them, but I've never shoot one and like you said its single stack so that might help!

Try it. They are striker fired, but a good feeling SF trigger? IMO

Well I am a fairly new gun owner, less than a year. I guess I was too stupid too know that 40 caliber was an issue :) As such my first gun was a Gen4 Glock22 (.40 S&W). I did not know that the high pressure round was supposed to be a problem, so I just learned to shoot it and am very happy with it. It is the perfect HD gun as it is highly reliable and pack a punch. Plus even in the people's republic of NJ I can load it up with 15+1, I guess in CA you might be limited to 10+1 but that is still a lot of kick ass.

I have since purchased quite a few guns: S&W686+ .357 revolver, a pair of 1911's, Beretta 92FS and CZ-75B in matte stainless. My two favorites are my Kimber Eclipse Custom II .45acp and my 9mm CZ-75B. The .45 cal in a heavy metal gun is much easier to control than .40cal in a plastic gun. But my most favorite is the CZ. Its a sharp looking gun and I am super accurate with it. I have been using that one for USPSA competition lately.

Go with a Glock30S, or Glock36.

Get a 45ACP and skip the 40S&W altogether. JMO. 40cal is too snappy for some especially if you are recoil sensitive.

9mm is really sufficient for most cases if you use proper SD ammo. If you already have a G26 and want to "upgrade" to a larger caliber, get G30S, or even the G36.

I wouldn't even go into other handguns at this point. There are so many choices out there that it will all come down to preference. 1911's are nice, but can be pricey if you want quality.

I would also advise you to shoot as many guns as you can make time for. Get a feeling for how revolvers feel TO YOU vs automatics. Figure which ones you like and what you don't. Then start narrowing down on caliber.

A Japanese lady (110 lbs, thin frame) I knew in grad school preferred my 45 ACP Para-Ordnance (a high capacity version of the 1911) to my High-Power in 9mm. To her the High-Power was snappier - had a sharper recoil - even though it was the smaller caliber. I figure that the bigger, wider frame on the Para-Ordnance distributed recoil across more area in her palm. It also weighs more so that helps soak up recoil.

I was reading an interesting article last night. I believe it was Gunsa nd Ammo mag, but not sure since I didn't save it.
It was about PD across the country abandoning the '40 because the 9 had similar ballistics and this was due to ammo improvements.
I'd stick with what I like and if you like hte 26 and are accurate with it and enjoy it, I'd stay with it.
BTW, my wife also likes the 26.

I like 1911s also, you should shoot one before buying. I've owned eight or so, all in 45acp. I currently own three. Mostly I'm a revolver guy and the shooters I really like are a S&W-17 and 617 twenty two rimfires, cheap to shoot also. Smith also makes a fancy M-60 .357 with adjustable sights an under barrel web thingy and wooden stocks very purty. Finally the Smith 686 is a very popular .357.

If you want to make a big hole with modest recoil, the .44 special, as mentioned by some others, is an excellent choice. Problem is, not many high quality revolvers made specifically in that caliber can be easily found anymore. So my suggestion is to get one of the smaller, lighter .44 magnums and shoot .44 special ammo in it. You could also shoot magnum loads if you choose to, although the recoil can be severe. Start with .44 special loads, and I think you will find the recoil is not bad at all.

As much as I like the .44 special, I should add that ammo can be hard to get these days. Some stores will not have it in stock, and even big on-line places like Midway don't have much selection.

Last edited:
Welcome and congratulations on your new interest in shooting.

Choice of a gun or guns can be very personal subjective. The way to figure out what works for you is to try different guns. See if there's a range near to you that rents guns so that you can experiment some.

Some of the things I've found to be true for me:

• The .40 seems to me to have a fairly sharp, snappy recoil. I actually find the .45 ACP more manageable, even in a smaller 1911 variant.

• The weight of the gun can have a lot to do with controlability. My larger frame .357 Magnums with full power .357 Magnum ammunition are easier shooting than my light alloy frame snubnose revolvers even with standard .38 Special.

• In a given cartridge, loadings firing a lighter bullet at a higher velocity might feel sharper and snappier than a loading firing a heavier bullet at a somewhat lower velocity. So the later might feel softer even though it has about the same recoil energy.

UPDATE- I went to the gun shop/range this Saturday ( it was busy due to their anniversary sale) I was able to rent after trying a few rounds of the SW Model 29 (.44mag) revolver. I only shot .44spl out of it not magnums unlike I did in the .357 which I shot .38spl and .357 magnums. I absolutely feel in love with that .44 and noticed how 44spl went thru gentle. (then when I shoot my Glock 26 I noticed the flip it gave while the Smith and Wesson was not flip at all (which my mom nicely recorded for me). I did not get to rent out any .45 due to the intense amount of people in their wanting to try guns nor any other brand of .44 mag revolver (this had the 6in barrel) but next week going to go back in and try the 1911 style .45 and the Glock in .45; but so far I love that Smith and Wesson model 29. Bit of a sticker shock as new in stainless steel was going to run $900ish used $700-800. So thats the drawback for me.

hello and welcome! FWIW I routinely carry a Charter arms bulldog .44spl.
IMO the .44 has enough punch for self-defense and the guns are compact and easy to carry and conceal.
Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and you should try different options and choose what works best for you.

cg... It warms my heart that you love the big model 29!
Guns are so personal, it's hard to predict exactly what'll float your boat.
It's so cool that you're experimenting to find what YOU like.

I'd just like to say that popular guns are relatively easy to sell and trade, and they hold their value quite well so there's no stress really. I find that my preferences change over time and that tweaking my little collection now and then (usually through armslist.com) is a big part of my fun of owning guns.

Nothing is set in stone, and quality guns are good investments. So I just enjoy the whole experience, ya' know? If, after a few months or years, I decide I sorta made a little "mistake" in purchasing some gun or if it's just time for a change, it's pretty easy to "fix" down the road... It's all good.

First,I'm not going to recommend anything!I believe,given the choice,you can do a better job of picking your gun than I can.

Those 3 in 1911's look cute,and may work well for some,but folks I respect have told me the 1911's shorter than a Commander become less reliable.If you have 3 1911s,well,.maybe one can be a shorty,but If you will have just one,a Commander or Officer(shorter grip,6 rounds)might be good.

You are wise to shoot them till you find "the one".

I do not own a 9mm,but I'll say this.9 mm ammunition has become far more effective as bullet designs have improved.

And,if the point of your handgun is SD,there is a tradeoff between power and controllability....
Is BOOM...BOOM better than bam bam bam bam bam? I cannot answer that for you.

Does anybody shoot steel falling plates or other game near you?Go to a shoot.

Last,know when to say "Enough".I will not try to limit you,but we all have a point where we start hearing footsteps and getting squinty as we squeeze.

That's about the time we start missing a lot.

Have fun!Welcome

Back