needing opinions on trying gun with bigger caliber

cgeyser

Inactive
I'm a female, and new to guns. I own a glock 26 which I love and have no prob hitting bulls eye from 15 yrds(no laser just stock sights) I've shot various full size 9mm, a 357 revolver, and a glock .40 s&w. I do not know the model of that glock but it was a full sized one, that .40 s&w I absolutely hated to shoot as it felt like it kicked way to hard for me (the bullets were 180gr FYI). The .357 felt controllable for me as it felt like my subcompact (158gr bullet outof the .357). I would like suggestions far as a larger caliber bullet that I might feel comfortable to shoot. I've seen there are .45 in glock or 1911 style, .44 and etc. As I've said earlier I only shot .40 out of the glock and not in other type gun, but that kick was not fun for me, maybe in another style gun? I'm 5'5" strong built, good size hands if that helps, but new to guns. I reside in California in case what you suggest is not approved in CA. Also I'm not looking for compact or subcompact, but if the suggestion is I'm willing to find it to try it. Thanks in advance!

Welcome, madam!

The key here--and the answer is simple.

Shoot and use what is comfortable for YOU. If you are proficient with your 9mm, then by all means use it. The 9mm can be an extremely effective caliber and it has a lot going for it--it can be very accurate, moderate recoil, relatively cheap for practice and plinking and it seems to be readily available.

That being said, I have trained many shooters--and I have found that a lot of females like the ease, comfort and grip of the 1911 series handgun.

well the only option is to either spend 10,000 dollars buying every handgun on the market, or go to a range and try out what they have to rent. That will also cost some money.

However first place to look is those semi autos that have adjustable palm swells. Those come in 45 acp and 10mm i believe. That is commented upon as making massive improvements in how it behaves when shot.

Revolver all have replacable grips. A 10 dollar grip has been known to make a revolver easy to use, or something you hate to shoot.

Try a Glock 21 using regular 230gr ammo, very soft shooting .45. The Gen4 version is the softest, but none are bad. Its wider grip and low bore axis make recoil a breeze, a 1911 is heavier but thinner and while recoil isn't bad there, I still think the 21 is less.

I'm in Kalifornia too. So I know the feeling.

You're going to get differing opinions here. Be prepared to take it all in for mental processing.

I think there is no substitute for practice. You'd be amazed what you can get comfortable with - given enough practice.

Case in point: I got a Glock 29 "compact" (actually mid-sized) 10mm. The 10mm is like "40 Magnum," in case you didn't know. It's a very powerful round. My first time at the range with it didn't go so well. But after a couple more trips (and a few hundred rounds lol), I've become accustomed to it and feel I can shoot it with confidence. But after my first trip out, I thought I'd never handle it worth a darn. The key was practice. Definitely practice. There is no substitute.

I'm an average sized guy with smaller than average hands. Maybe a slightly stocky build. Myself, I've become quite fond of a full-sized model 1911 .45 ACP. It's definitely a larger caliber ;) Most find the recoil similar to the 40 Cal, so I recommend this with some reluctance. I don't think you'd care for it at first, but could become accustomed to it. I like its recoil - I think it's got enough kick where you know you've just unleashed some power, but is still manageable (for me). You say you can handle a 357 - that's usually more potent than a 1911 .45ACP (unless it was a very large framed 357 and/or mild rounds).

First off . . . welcome to the forum!

I'm just curious as I don't think you say in your post . . . why do you want to go to a larger caliber? Because you think it has more "stopping power" . . you are skilled with your 9mm and ready for a change . . . or you just like the challenges it has to offer?

I personally have never shot a Glock or a 40 . . . just because I guess. Personally I love the 9mm but I am mainly a 38 spl revolver guy. I'm sure others will chime in who have more knowledge than I . . but I guess I'd suggest you try a 1911 platform of some make in the 45acp as well. I like the 9mm mainly because of the easier availability of ammo for it and the recoil of my SR9 is very manageable for me. I had a 1911A1 Colt - I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it but the recoil was fine for me as well. If you have a range where you can rent handguns, why not rent one and see how you like it? Thee are lots of makes out there and at the very least, after 50 rounds you have a good idea if it is for you or not. I have a feeling that regardless of what you try, you'll master it just fine.

Last week, I attended a range class where i watched a slightly built young woman who had never handled a gun before, learn how to shoot a Glock (don't know the model) in 40. I was amazed at how she "took" to it - handled the recoil just fine and by the end of the training, she was doing quite well at putting them in a tiny group. Maybe I should broaden my own horizons?

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. I have to say, it's nice to have the ladies on here and hear their thoughts and perspectives on shooting. :)

Nick, thanks. The .357 I shot was a Tauras brand revolver that held 7 rounds, it was a good size, shot. .38 special and the .357 magnum load out of it. As others stated yes I will be renting to try out, if they got it or some other place.

Welcome to the firing line cgeyser

If you are happy with the 9mm compact Glock and proficient keep shooting that gun.
Bigger bullets are not necessarily better bullets, especially if you are finding it painful to shoot.
So my next question is, "Did you like shooting the 357 revolver"? And did you shoot 38SPL or full power magnums? If you are looking for more bang still try the 44SPL.
And a heavier handgun will feel easier to shoot.

Thanks bedbugbilly, lol.... I like my 9mm, but its the only one I own and its getting boring for me to shoot and need more of a challenge without being too much that I don't want to practice.

I have to go along with the other 45ACP guys. Shooting that load out of an all steel format pistol is a very pleasurable experience. About the only difference in the 45 and the 9mm is the 45 makes a larger wound channel than a 9 does. They are very accurate and a lot of fun.
I'm wondering also what your reasoning is for wanting to go with a larger caliber, but if you have your heart set on it, you can't go wrong with a 45ACP in my opinion.

I suggest for your next gun that you go for something with more beauty and style than a Glock, or ANY polymer gun... just for the change! Like maybe a shiney 1911 Commander for instance.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm guessing the issue with the big Glock 22 grip and the higher recoil 40 with 180's were too much together.

IMO, I think more powerful guns like 45 LC, 44 Spcl, 357 mag will feel better in a revolver as revolvers seem to come with smaller feeling grips or smaller grips can be made.

If a 40 or 45 Auto is really what you want to shoot, try a smaller single stack like the Kahr K40 or the 45 Auto version.

Cwkarhfan, I will look into the commander of 1911 as others said they are comfortable to shoot, I will have to compare with the polymer guns :) I do not have a preference with looks because if I did it would have to be 24k gold plated with heavy engraving, maybe some slogan like "vengeance is all mine!" lol!

Thanks Nathan I don't know anything about kahrs except my ccw instructor in the past said he found the trigger pull is harder on them, but I've never shoot one and like you said its single stack so that might help!

If your not going to carry this pistol I would recommend anything full size and metal. Im a big fan of 1911's in anything 38,9mm,40,45,10mm, etc... CZ-75s as well as Sig are great guns.
If your just looking for change in caliber 45 is well liked by most. Bring revolvers into the mix and you have plenty more calibers. 357 is the go to for many people.
Shoot them all, talk to people at the range and mention you are looking to try some new pistols and many people will let you try any guns they have.

I carry a 1911 3 inch all day, almost everyday. I can tell you every woman who has fired it has been very pleased with the handling and feel of the pistol.

Back