Need your advice - Buyin a 40 S&W cal. Pistol !

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott90501

Will be getting a new pistol in the near future and have decided on the 40 s&w caliber. I have seen so many types, my eyes are glazed over. I am considering the Ruger p-94, S&W Sigma, Beretta Brigadier and SigPro. I'd like to get the Ruger due to the low price but am worried it might be junk.. I want a reliable gun that doesn't jam constantly.. Also appreciate advice for self defence ammo for the gun ! Thanks, I appreciate your input !!! Scott

Look at the "New Kahr K40" thread.
Why have you chosen the .40cal?
Sigpro is not as good as the
regular sigs. Sigmas are S**T ,
but the other Smith autos are
decent. Rugers are very good ,
kinda of big though. Glocks &
Kahrs are top of the line! Taurus
& Keltec are out. HK good gun ,
too many levers like the Sigs.
If the Bobcat & Tomcat are
indicative of the quality of
Berettas , then they are S**T!
Go to "Glock Talk" those nuts
will fill you in on the .40cal
situation.

[This message has been edited by SHORTFUSE (edited August 20, 1999).]

Based totally on hearsay, but more reports than one can safely ignore, DO NOT GET A .40 CAL GLOCK! Trying to fit it in more or less the same frame as a 9mm, the barrel/chamber walls are thinner, leaving you more open to problems with kB!s (especially if you reload).

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

Greetings Scott 90501: Shortfuse is correct
on one point; stay away from the Sig-Pro
series of firearms. On the other hand, I
strongly recommend the Sig-Sauer P229. This
gun is a GEM; right out of the box. Fit and
finish wise, it is the best. Very accurate
and very reliable; even in cold weather type
conditions. Glock models 22, 23, or 27 would
be my second choice. I currently own the 23
and the 27, and have had 0 problems with
either. For CCW carry, I prefer the sub-
compact model 27. It's easy to hide under
a T-shirt as carried in a GALCO belt slide
holster. The third choice would be the H&K
USP (only because I don't have one). These
also are fine firearms. I own the full size
H&K USP in .45 Auto; it would rank near the
Sig-Sauer P220 A in performance. The Ruger
is attractive price wise; and from all reports a very good weapon. I have no on
hands experience with the Kahr's, Beretta's,
etc.

All of the pistols mentioned above are good. But what exactly are you going to use it for? Is it for concealed carry, competition like IDPA, is it for home defense, or just plane fun? One gun I have not heard mentioned is the Browning HP in .40S&W.

Let us know more about you intended useage.

Scott--

Despite their lower price, Ruger .40 caliber pistols are not junk in any respect. So this need not be a source of concern.

Other than a Ruger, I would, personally, choose a Glock 22 or 23, Beretta 96, S&W (such as a Model 4006--but not a Sigma), or Browning .40 Hi-Power.

JMHO.

IMHO the SigPro is as good or better than
the classic Sigs. The accuracy is good
and the reliability is...well the factory
shot 3 radomly picked SigPro's 35,000 rounds each and could not break them.

This pistol will be used for home defense and plinking... Have a Beretta .25 for CCW.

If I had the money, I would definitely get the new Smith 99 (Walther P99). $510 is the lowest I've seen it and I can't afford that right now :(

I'm leaning more and more towards a Ruger P94.

Anyone know who has the best deals OUT OF CALIFORNIA - don't wanna pay the state crooks sales tax !

I really appreciate the advice !!

Scott

I concur with some of these posts - do NOT get the Smith. There are much beter guns out there in the same price range.

Try to go to a range and "borrow" someones pistol to try out. Look at the USP Compact and the Sig-Sauers. Very nice weapons.

CMOS

Scott, get yourself the latest edition of Gun List and see whats out there. You might be able to find something used in the price range you are looking for. You will need to find a FFL holder in your area that will do the transfer for you.

For the price, Rugers are hard to beat. Accurate and reliable. Just too bulky for me.

Call Jersey City Armory at (201)433-3288. The last time I looked, Greg had a factory reconditioned Glock 22 for $360 and a new Beretta 8040 Cougar for $450. His inventory changes all the time. Best to call him Tuesday to Thursday.

Let us know what you get.

I bought a Sig P226 in .40S&W a week or so ago and love it. It's extremely well made, shoots very accurately, and feeds perfectly out of the box. The magazines are a bit tight (there's another thread about that going right now) but I'd rather the springs were too strong than too weak :) I'm also a big fan of the USP series, but since I didn't own a Sig yet that swayed me.

I think I found the Ruger I want.. It's a P944T - Special Edition http://members.aol.com/gunsgoboom/specials.html

I wish I could afford a 229 or some of the others, but sheesh ! :)

Now, my last confusion is whether to get the .40 or .45 ! I don't know why I like the idea of the .40, but I do ! Is there a lot of difference in the recoil between the 2 ?

Best price so far is $329 for the .40 and $349 for the .45

Thanks for all the help !!!!!!

Looking at your list of options:

The SIG PRO would be my pick.

It is not an HK - but at least it is a SIG!

Get the BEST gun you can afford... The Best that FITS YOU... Other wise you will always be saying "I wish I got the ___" or something. Get what you want or you wont be happy...

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I had a P90 in .45ACP. Thing I did not like about it was the massive slide moving over the top of the light frame. Gun felt top heavy to me. It was 100% reliable and it was accurate. I would go with the .40, if I was going to get a Ruger.

Scott:
The reason Rugers are BIG is because both the frame & slide are made from an investment casting. Therefore, molten metal is poured into a mold to create the part. Weaker parts, in order to maintain the same strength necessitates thicker material, therefore that's the reason why a Ruger is BIGGER. Forgings & machinings are better. In conclusion, get a Sig 229. It's a quality made gun straight out of the box & the Germans do know how to make a fine handgun.
For a good price, go to gunsamerica.com & buy a used SIG 229 (about $450.00), but make damn sure the dealer has a 2 day return policy if you're not satisfied. And don't buy from Rick at Valley Firearms in Shelton, Connecticut. He's a shyster!!! I bought a used H&K 45 from him that he said had about 200 rounds through it. Closer examination after I received it indicated the gun had well over 2000 rounds through it. I compared wear with a buddy's identical gun.

Ulfilas wrote <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Based totally on hearsay, but more reports than one can safely ignore, DO NOT GET A .40 CAL GLOCK! Trying to fit it in more or less the same frame as a 9mm, the barrel/chamber walls are thinner, leaving you more open to problems with kB!s (especially if you reload).[/quote]

Ulfilas,

You seem to be poorly informed with regards to Glocks. Why would a gun with KaBoom problems be one of the most favored Police issue firearms? Your reasoning above leads me to believe you lack facts with regards to this near urban legend. Yes, Glock have kB'ed in the past. This has happened with other guns as well.

With regards to the 40S&W Glock and thinner walls in the barrel, hog wash. Pure hog wash. I am not aware of one structural failure of the barrel where the barrel itself burst, either in the chamber area or the down that thin tube. Proper steel selection can yield a smaller but stronger piece when machined and heat treated properly.

Glock, as almost all manufacturers, does not recommend non-factory ammunition. Read your owners manual on your pistol of choice. I have fired 10's of thousands of reloads through my Glocks without a problem but, that was without the factory blessing.

The problem most people have with 40S&W Glocks is that the chambers are not fully supported. They also seem to be cut a little large. Combine this with a single piece of weak brass and a hot 40S&W load and you have a case failure or kB! Occurances of this type of failure with factory ammo is pretty rare. Reloaded brass that stretched out repeatedly through multiple firings is more prone to failure. This is were the vast majority of documented failures occur. Add in double charge reloads and other owner mistakes of a similiar nature and kB's that are left are extremely rare, as they are in most quality pistols such as Sig/HK/Beretta/etc.

Sid

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited August 20, 1999).]

Scott,

If you are on a tight budget, look for a good clean used pistol. 40S&W police trades can be had at a good price. While they look rough due to holster wear in general, most of these guns are not shot that much so they have a lot of life left in them.

Glock refurb pistols in the $350 range are a great deal and look like new besides having been blessed by the factory.

Beretta 92/96 series pistols are also excellant values in a used police trade in. Depending on features look for one around $320 to $360 (depends on night sights and DAO).

S&W Sigma's are junk. Stay away from them. Glocks are a pretty simple pistol but, S&W didn't get the cloning process down. The Walther colaboration holds promise but, Glocks are cheaper and better IMHO.

Rugers are good serviceable pistols. They just have a few rough edges in terms of manufacturing prowess and quality. They build a straight forward cheap pistol. They are bigger and heavier then required because of the cheap manufacturing methods employed. They also don't seem to balance well in my hands. That big chunk of metal up top going back and forth may take a little getting used to as well.

I would strongly urge you to consider a clean used pistol rather then a brand new Ruger. While the Ruger is a serviceable pistol, it seems crude in my hands when compared to the competition. I know it costs more to buy Glock, Sig, etc. but, especially in self defense piece, it's worth a little extra financial pain to have a superior firearm.

Sid
---
Tx FFL and Glock'aholic ;)

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited August 20, 1999).]

scott90501; Don't think rugers are junk just because they undercut everybody else. That's the amazing thing about 'em! Ruger firearms are THE best value today. Quality, toughness,value and a great company to back there product.

As much as I like to dislike Glocks - for pure prejustice reasons - they ARE good guns. And ARE safe guns. Even in .40. That a Glock is dangerous just cause it is in .40 and not to buy it is ignorance.

A Glock is a Ugly Duckling pistol - but it is very good at what it does.

I would have no problem if forced to use a .40 cal Glock... 27, or 24... Heck give my Tritium sights and a 3.5 pound trigger and I would be content and happy...

I would have to scratch HK into it's Tennifer finish just so I could sleep at night - but would still be just fine with it... just capital...

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back