Need to move gun safe a few feet... want your input

NoSecondBest said:
I've moved huge machinery (40,000 lbs +) and I can tell you this thing is getting WAY over engineered. If it's on concrete and you don't have a dolly, just tip it and put some pipe under it and roll it. This isn't building the pyramids. As far as pushing it, haven't any of you guys ever pushed a car? They weight upwards of 4,000 lbs +. How hard were they to push?

++1 NSB is right!

You can call a safe moving company & they'll do it for you using pipes.

Acc to the liberty website it weighs 880 lbs.
Remove the door and the case is probably 700 empty.
two guys can easily 'walk it' a few feet on the concrete floor, then put the door back on.
My crews in the commercial furniture world move loaded 4 hi fire king lateral files that are FULL similar distances with nothing more than furniture skates.
use rollers if you like, they are also a safe way to move it.

I have that model. Paid a guy $300 to pick it op from Gander Mountain, haul it here, set it in place, level it, and bolt it to the floor. As I recall it was under 900 pounds. The guy was good and knew what he was doing.

After rolling as far as he could with a pallet jack he tipped it to one corner at a time and walked it into place. He was in his 30's or so and this wasn't his first rodeo. He was in and out in less than an hour, had 3 more safes to do before lunch.

Look to rent a appliance dolly rated for the weight of the safe. Local DIY center here has them for $20 for half a day, rated for 1200#s.

Rent a set of piano movers

A buddy of mine, use to sell Fort Knox safes and he used a furniture dolly to get them in and out of gun shows with little or no effort, or you can also rent a set of Piano Mover (carts) and it will keep you from tilting it too bad. All you have to do is get the foot of each mover under the edge on opposite sides, strap the movers together and away you go. Needless to say, you may wat to be sure it's empty. …. :rolleyes:

When I got my safe, the trucking company set it on my driveway. I got the set under the safe and easily moved it I was even able to move it over a slight threshold. ….. :)

Just went over to YouTube and see if any of this info, helps ….. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=moving+a+safe+

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Tallwalker---your black powder anvil shoot video link probably was off topic but I certainly did enjoy it. Thanks and Good Luck.

You bolted a 900 lb safe to the floor?

Yes. It is always recommended to bolt down a safe, and not just expect its weight to make it immobile. Keep in mind that three guys who each deadlift 400 lbs will not have much difficulty manhandling a 900 lb safe. And bad guys do not care about damaging the walls and floors, so they can work quickly. With a little leverage, they can have it in the back of a pickup truck with a tarp over it quicker than you might think.

Do not remove the door

Yes, the door can be removed, and way easy to do from the comfort of your keyboard.
Not so much in reality. The door is at least 200 lbs.

Removing the door is not much of a challenge, reinstalling it? Ya'll have fun now, it's really difficult to align the two very heavy pieces PRECISLY.

And precision is a requirement to align the pins with the hinge sockets.

I would only consider removing the door if stairs were involved. A few one inch wooden dowels are the ticket for this move.

Consider watching you tube videos of gun safe break ins. The pros can open most gun safes in shockingly short order. Bolting the safe in a corner or alcove that can prevent access with a long pry bar is VERY worthwhile. The not so professional thieves watch you tube......

Last edited:
Back