Need to know something

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I consider myself independant, non-affilated.

With that said some issues I am very liberal and others I am very conservitave. I'd just like to know why certian people think I should be one or the other. For example, If I take a very liberal view on the war on drugs, Why does that obligate me to take a liberal view on an unrelated issue. Abortion for example. Or to give another example If I take a conservative view on gun ownership why should I be required to take a conservative view on the 1st amendment?

Those questions do not have "liberal and conservative" answers.
Without going into the particulars of each one, consider that libertarianism is generally a "far right" political ideology. Many of those people are very conservative. Fundamentalist home-schoolers are the constituency that continuously re-elects Ron Paul to his Texas seat in the US House.

I think its sounds foolish when people say "im a liberal" or "im a conservative" Really? on every single issue? People have to go one way or another at leasat a couple times a week if they wanna get by today. You gotta bend a little or your a you start to creep into extremism.

I agree

Northern,

I agree with you. I consider myself a moderate or centrist. I believe deeply in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, which is why I am a gun owner and have a carry permit. But that does not mean that I have to lean one way or the other all the time. I do not think that supporting the Bill of Rights and all it entails means that I am conservative. Nor does not supporting the death penalty make me a liberal.

I feel that as a conscientious American, I must make up my own mind where I stand on an issue, and not follow a party line. I consider myself intelligent enough to understand the concepts of most issues and able to decide for myself what I think is right. Therefore, I am an Agnostic gun owner that does not support the death penalty and feels that we were lied to about this war but that we must not leave as hastily as we went in........ and on and on.

NSB,
There are many territories staked out on the political landscape. Each one is occupied by an overall philosophy that guides their take on any particular issue. "red" and "blue" is way too simplistic to begin to cover it.
I went through that myself. Didn't know exactly where I fit in; agreeing with the left on some issues and the right on others. Turns out I wasn't a moderate, but a Constitutionalist libertarian.

Maybe you should figure out where you fit in in the general scheme of things.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
I'd just like to know why certain people think I should be one or the other.
Because there can be no 'we' without a 'they'. How can they control you if they can't divide you?

I think the labels "conservative" and "liberal" could be better described as "more traditional" and "less traditional". Maybe not so accurate.

Anywho, conservatives seem to value the way things have worked in the past, while liberals like to move away from the tradition.

In many ways, the traditional way of doing things works and is just. I think we can all agree (constitutional or not) that it is unjust for the government to ban guns or confiscate them. The conservative belief of the 2nd amendment is that people should be able to defend themselves against criminals, and against tyrannies. The liberal belief is that guns are bad and should be banned because they cause people to be violent.

There are so many ideas about so many things. As much as many people hate to say it, some ideas are correct and work, some don't. I think one of the biggest things to remember is that sometimes things sound like a good idea, or that have a good intention, but they fail for one reason or another. Right intent, wrong plan (much of the time. Sometimes it's even wrong intent.)

Since there is no "Party Line" for either and no real enforcement mechanism
to ensure ideological conformity I agree that one can pick and choose as one
sees fit. My personal oberservation is that there is more "deviationism" on the
Liberal side-many liberals are closet gun owners, closet homophobes, closet racists, they recognize that years of legalized abortion has shredded our social fabric
in ways that will take generations to mend. Many liberals I know are anti-drug, they have seen the damage drugs do for themselves. And there are plenty of conservatives who have avoided military service or would like a nice cushy government job instead of taking their chances in the private sector.

Those questions do not have "liberal and conservative" answers.
Without going into the particulars of each one, consider that libertarianism is generally a "far right" political ideology. Many of those people are very conservative. Fundamentalist home-schoolers are the constituency that continuously re-elects Ron Paul to his Texas seat in the US House.

In the Libertarian party you find a lot of people who feel like one or the other of the party are stepping on their rights. Home schooling parents fit this profile. There are a lot of "redneck gun nuts" (you know the kind who would sign up for a forum about guns and post enough to become a senior member :) ). A lot of Marijuana lovers too.
I am a Libertarian somewhat involved in the Libertarian party of Ohio. I think home schooling is a terrible idea. Every home schooled kid I have ever met had major social deficiencies because they were extremely specialized to some role they filled in their family structure. Even so, it is not my job to tell you where your kids need to learn. Providing a free easily accessible option is as far as my rights go. You make the choice on your own.
That is what a Libertarian is.

I always laugh when I hear people say that home schooled children need the social skills that they learn in the public schools. My kids were schooled in public schools, and if I had to do it again, I would have home schooled.

What social skills do they learn? Gangs? Drugs? Fighting? Learning to steal? Politically correct garbage like "Heather has two mommies" or "David is Daddy's roommate," "Guns are bad," "Drugs are evil, unless we say they are OK" or some other indoctrination?

I always laugh when I hear people say that home schooled children need the social skills that they learn in the public schools.

I hired some home-schooled interns from a well known home schooler college because I bought the myth that they were better educated and behaved than public-schooled kids. What a laugh. They were the laziest, most ignorant, opinionated bunch I've ever had the misfortune to have on payroll. They all felt that they were entitled to a paycheck whether or not they actually worked. Abysmal communication and social skills rounded out their generally bad attributes. Never again. From now on I hire only from private, preferably parochial, schools.

As far as liberal vs. conservative I can tolerate a range of opinion in my politicians except that they must be consistently pro-gun in deed as well as word.

Maybe we can start a new thread on this, but I think it is unfair to compare home college versus paid college. College is not a right, it must be earned and paid for- a process that tends to weed out the dead wood and the troublemakers. I think that public school versus home school is a contest that goes to the home schooler- the free rights-driven philosophy of public school encourages a "rule of the jungle" mentality that allows the real troublemakers to flourish by discouraging "natural selection."

I do, to agree with the OP, disagree with and get picked on by both liberals and conservatives. Being a pro-gun, atheist, person who believes that the Federal government exceeds its constitutional authority by taxing one person to give welfare, money to rebuild your home after a fire or hurricane, and food stamps to another, and by regulating abortion (a state power, IMO) and that laws prohibiting gay marriage are wrong, while at the same time believing that drugs should be legal, pretty much ticks everyone off. (This is not intended as a discussion of these topics, but is merely an illustration of why I disagree with nearly everyone I know)

Maybe we can start a new thread on this, but I think it is unfair to compare home college versus paid college.

The college, Patrick Henry, *is* a paid college that caters to home schooled kids. These were supposed to be some of their best and brightest. What a disappointment.

I was home-schooled (now 27 yrs old). There are some home-schoolers out there who are lazy bums. Their parents probably home-schooled them because they wanted to shelter them from all bad things. Religious zealots.

I was home-schooled in a religious family, and am religious myself (hence the screen name). My parents didn't home-schooled me because they wanted to shelter me, but because they knew they could give me a better education at home than at school.

All the public school kids I knew were morons. Their parents didn't pay any attention to them, they drank and slept around (in high school) and upon a MySpace search, most are divorced with kids before 30yrs and still partying like when they were 16. My home-schooled friends are doing very well.

I'm planning on homeschooling my kids (if God so blesses us) because I know I can give them a far better education than the liberal tripe at public schools. They'll only teach evolution (a theory), global warming, anti-American, trash that embraces secularism and condemns religion, teaches 5th graders how to use condoms, glorifies Islam despite the fact that millions of Muslims want us destroyed, and that we should give amnesty to illegals, even though many of the illegals are child predators, murderers, rapists, etc..

I'd rather spend that time teaching them right the first time, then using the rest to teach them to hunt and fish instead of sending them to school and having to reteach them everything.

That's dissapointing to hear about Patrick Henry College, but I only know your side of the story. I know a few students at that college, and they are exceptionally smart and very hard workers. I was homeschooled all the way through and started college when I was sixteen. There are overly sheltered homeschoolers who lack social skills, but they are the exception.

The point was I don't agree with it, but I don't think I have the right to regulate it. I am not a big fan of gay marriage either, but I think it is foolish to not just have the gov't call it a civil union and allow any couplet to get it. Then you get married in your church. God will sort that out later with all the knowledge we lack. If you want to start a thread on whether homeschooling is good or bad go ahead and I will post up some replies there.

And they often join churches where the women dress like pioneers in the long skirts, bonnets, hair in buns, and the men have beards and dress in dark slacks with suspenders and white button-down shirts with the top button buttoned.

I started college at 16 as well for high school and college credit. I quit at 19 and started my own business as a freelance roadie/guitar tech making $200 per night 5 nights a week.

I worked 25+ hours a week from the time I was 14, sometimes even holding two jobs at a time in high school. Not because I had to, but because I could.

It is unfortunate that some parents home-school because they don't want their kids exposed to anything bad. However, my parents didn't shelter me, they just taught me right from wrong and let me decide for myself. I had some tough years, but I think I turned out to be the good gun-loving religious fanatic society warns us about. ;)

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the public school Vs home school debate. What about private run schools?I'm certian the cost varies from one place to another. Here the closest private school is right around $1,000/year. Then we can't forget open enrollment which I'm not sure if that's state or federal. Anyway under such a program you are not required to send to kid the school district you live in. If you don't like it you can send them to a different one and the district you live in must pay the school you sent your kid to. This opens another can of worms though.

As for gay marriage. I have always held that govt. has no place to become involved in marriage be it gay, straight or otherwise. It would seem that involving both the church and state as equal parts in something would (and has) created a conflict of interest.

THIS is the kind of scum in public school that makes me want to homeschool.

A middle school health teacher is under investigation, accused of teaching too much about sex.

Parents say the teacher is saying crude and explicit things that don't belong in the classroom. Dewayne Smith says, "These are our children, and we're not going to breach the firewall of innocence."

Parents say sex education went too far inside the classroom full of 8th-graders at Fort Herriman Middle School. Suzanne Johnson told us,

Click the link if you want details.

THIS is the kind of scum in public school that makes me want to homeschool.

As I said, for me private (parochial or otherwise Christian religious), but no more homeschool slackers, GP, you appear to be the rare exception in my experience. I wish I could say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back