Need to buy highly concealable pocket pistol

ojibweindian

Okay everyone, I'm going to need something VERY indiscrete for carry. I already have a Ruger P95, but will need something smaller. I will not consider anything less than .380 in power level and it MUST be able to be carried in a pocket.

Would like to keep costs as low as possible, but will not sacrifice quality for cost, and will begrudgingly up my somewhat self-imposed cost constraint if I must.

Any suggestions?

.45-70 double barrelled derringer.

Seriously, you can fill your requirements with any of a hundred derringers, from .38 Special to .45-70 Gov't. I think a .45 acp would be my limit in a derringer, though.

If you had not set the baseline of .380, I'd suggest a Kel-Tec P-32, BTW.

Hungarian Walther clone

FEG makes .380 pistols similar to Walthers which sell for under $200. They are called the SMC-380, and the APK. I own an SMC-380 and it's a great gun that sells for about half what its worth. For more info go to

http://www.makarov.com/others

Regards and good luck.

I can also vouch for the FEG APK. I've owned one for 3 years and its a nice little gun. SHould be readily available. If your local gun shop doesn't stock it, they can probably special order. Two others to consider:

1) Bersa Thunder series. Also .380 clones of Walther PPK. A little lighter than the FEG's. If you search TFL, you should find several threads that are favorible about these. They go for around $200 also.

2) Makarov--Soviet/Eastern surplus, generally sell between $125 and $150. Shoot the 9X18 round, which is a hair hotter than .380. Ammo is not as widely available as .380, but close. Lots of threads singing the praises of the Makarov on TFL, too. I shot my first one the other day. Slightly larger than the FEG/Bersa, but lighter.

I'm pretty sure I can shove my Kel-Tec P-11 in my pocket. Unfortunately, I think I just heard that in GA it has to be in some sort of a holster though :( Well, I'm gonna have to bulk up a perfectly disappearing gun now. WTF?

Ben

P-32's are really great. If you're a tinkerer, you can check out KTOG for info on making that .32 a .32 MouseMag (.380 power level; minimal additional bulk).

They make Derringers in 45-70? :eek:

Personally, I'd want something large enough to actually hold in my hand, something along the Kel Tec perhaps.

used colt....

how about a colt pony pocketlite in .380? I know they stopped making them, but you may still find a few NIB around. (I did, but I'm in NY and you need to jump through lots of hoops to buy a pistol, so they probably sell slower here than in free states.)

Oh yeah, the trigger is a fairly long DOA, but that's great for pocket carry!

For indiscreet carry it's hard to top an AK-47 slung over the shoulder at all times. Of course, that implies a whole lifestyle choice that many of us may not be comfortable with. Not to knock the armed guerrila chic, or anything. :)

For pocket carry (and IWB), I just recently selected the Kahr MK9. Why?

The caliber: 9mm. It's common, it's effective (let's not turn this into another 9mm vs. .45ACP) and it comes in any flavor of hollowpoint, JHP, WPTSOG (Wildly Powerful Thunderbolt Of God) bullet you can desire.

The gun: 6+1 rounds of the above mentioned in a very compact package. Stainless stell. Nice smooth trigger (especially the Elite 98 upgrade). Some say it's too heavy for the pocket, but I haven't had any problems so far.

I got it on sale for a good price, too. It was a no-brainer (for me, at least). Many people on TFL recommend the Kel Tec P-11. I haven't shot it myself, but some folks swear by them, and they're pretty cheap, too. http://www.ktog.org should have some valuable info in that regard.

[Edited to include smart-ass remark. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :)]

Would love to have read the smart a** remark :) and I like the AK as an indiscrete carry weapon. My mistake to use "indiscrete" eh :) Anyway, you know what I meant!

Can the Kel-Tec be carried in a pocket? If so, and it being in 9MM, then that would be wonderful.

Look at the Colt pocket Nine, Kel Tec and the FEG apk/pa63 etc.

FEG makes a good gun, I've had mine for 5 years or more.. and there are several sizes of pistol the smc being the smallest.

Its not exactly a pocket gun though, the smc is stil a lot bigger than a Pocket nine or a Kel Tec P32.

Have you considered an aluminum framed revolver?

I have a Bersa .380 for sale

I have a Bersa .380 for sale and it comes with a second factory mag and 1.75 boxes of Winchester Silvertips. It is a good gun in good condition. The reason it is for sale is that I need the money. You can have it all for $225. I paid $250 for it new plus $30 for the spare mag and $23.95/box for the ammo.

I will only ship through an FFL and will not skirt any law.

Ben,

It has to be in some kind of holster? That's news to me. Guess I ought to look into that as I've never heard it before.

I really try to be a good, law abiding citizen. How come I keep finding out I'm possibly a repeat offender felon?:)

Joe

Sorry bud. No such true thing unless you go Derringer for the ballistics.

If you reload, you'll see that the .380 ACP bullet and the .32 ACP are basically the same size. After all, isn't a pocket gun, the ooopppsss I messed up gun?

But . 32 ACP Win Silvertips have .380 ballistics from a couple of years ago. So power down the amps and buy one of these . . .

keltecmag.jpg

Hey JTDuncan-

Where did you get that holster for your P-32? Do they make one like it for the NAA Guardian and spare mag? Look forward to hearing back from you on this thread.

Anytime someone asks about pocket pistols, the first thing that comes to my mind is Makarov.....East German preferably.
......Dan in GA

Kahr MK9. I can fit it in the front pocket of my jeans with a pocket holster. It is a tad heavy, but it fits and I'm not that big (5'9"). It's 6+1 of full power 9mm. Get the stainless elite model.

I'm afraid the Glock 26/27 are just too thick for me to conceal in a pocket.

M1911

Back