Need suggestions for .22 revolver.

I'm with mikey357 on the Diamondback issue. If you can find a .22, bring at least $600. If the $ doesn't matter, God bless ya.

Any one of the following; S&W K-22(M-17), Taurus medium frame, Ruger single six and Ruger bearcat. 4" barrels are handy...8"-9" barrels are tack drivers. Adjustable sights are a must. Bearcat is only 4" barrel with fixed sights but is real fun to carry and plink with in the field.
22 revolvers are great :D

For a .22 revolver my favorite(s) are the Dan Wessons. Have a 4" Stainless and an 8" blue. Both have slick actions, great triggers, and are wonderful shooters. Used Dans in .22 are usally a bargain if you can find one.
The Diamondbacks are absolutely one of the best looking, classic designs when it comes to wheelguns. The problem is, as stated previously by the other wise individuals, the current prices make them a collector vs. a shooter.
Take Care

I love both my K-22's, however they are almost as bad as the Diamondback for finding them. Both are pre-model number five screw guns (one Masterpiece, one Combat Masterpiece). Only real problem I find with them is keeping them fed. Seems like six shots go real quick. (don't have that problem with the centerfires for some reason). Only reason I'd be tempted by one of the new ten shot guns (with a STEEL cylinder of course). Of course I shoot semi's in .22 also, a Belgian made Browning Challenger (the original all steel gun - with both barrels) and a Smith M41. The six inch Masterpiece will match either of them at any range that I can shoot.

OT: How do you determine Model #

of a S&W K22? When I purchased mine a couple years ago I recognized it as a K-frame .22 but the store dealer referred to it as a Model 18. When I checked inside the crane today, it doesn't have a K model designation stamped, just a sn with a "2" stamped above the sn and a "7" stamped below. Could this piece be older than the model designations ('50's)? Otherwise how to tell. S&W K-frame .22, no lug.

Riverdog,

If it is a pre-model number K-22 (pinned, recessed, either four or five screw) then the only way to determine the model is the barrel length and front sight. A Masterpiece (pre M17) will normally be six inch barrel and have a Patridge style sight. A Combat Masterpiece (pre M18) will have a four inch barrel and a ramp style sight. Of course if it is one of these, the number under the crane isn't the serial number (it's an assembly number from the factory). The serial number will be on the bottom of the grip strap, the back of the cylinder, and possibly on the bottom of the barrel above the ejector rod. A four screw model has three screws in the sideplate (the rear lower screw may be under the grips) and a screw in the front of the triggerguard. A five screw has one more in the sideplate at the top (just below the rear sight).

Thanks Bob.

It is a Combat Masterpiece. Barrel is pinned and the front sight is also pinned in two places. Its a 5 screw version. You're right about the sn at the rear of the cylinder and on the bottom of the barrel. Cylinder is also recessed for the rims. Amazing how much is there when you know what to look for. Thanks again.

[Edited by riverdog on 01-14-2001 at 09:30 PM]

For a nice 22 wheel gun I too recommend an older Dan Wesson if you can find one. I picked up a used one a few years ago for about $200 and I find it to be accurate and with a nice trigger action.

I also like the Ruger Single Six with the interchangeable cylinders so you can shoot either 22 LR or 22 WMR.

And, for one that fits in the pocket I use a pre ban S&W 317 but not the short barrel with the bobbed hammer. (I have both.) The longer barrel model they started to call the new Kit gun is easier to use. The regular hammer makes that heavy trigger almost easy in single action.

Does anyone have the URL for the 22 Board. I had it in my favorites but lost the entire list when Windows self destrutcted and had to reformat the entire drive. ON a new system now but still reconstructing my list of favorite sies, ANy help here would be greatly appreciated.

Back