Need suggestions for .22 revolver.

rock_jock

I will be in the market soon for a new gun. This one is going to have to be in the range of $350 or less. I have a Hammerli Trailside, and enjoy shooting .22's. I also like revolvers a lot, so I need some suggestions for a good .22 revolver.

How about a used, pre-sellout Smith & Wesson model 17?
Wonderful firearms, with great accuracy. Should fall very
close to your price range!!!:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I'm also in favor of a S&W K-22.Can't go wrong with them. A K-22 may turn you into a revolver addict. Not a bad thing.

I have a M17 S&W with the 5 inch barrel, and the M18 with 4 inch barrel. (Combat masterpiece) And NO! They're not for sale. I have to agree with Ala Dan and the rest of the guys. They're probably the best bet around, if you can find one. I', still looking for a 6 inch and 8 3/8 inch versions at a price I can afford.
Paul B.

I bought a used Model 34-1 that I enjoy. Have seen several for sale here. Maybe they're more common than the Model 17? Dunno, but the 34 is plenty accurate, too.

How about a Ruger?

I have a Ruger Single Six that I enjoy. Get the 4 5/8 inch barrel, its handier. This gun comes with both .22 LR and .22 magnum cylinders, so its a 2 caliber gun. I shoot mostly the .22, because of cost, but its nice to be able to throw in some mags for varmints and the like. Just need to change the adjustable sights for a new point of aim with the mags. Another single action, Ruger revolver is the Bearcat, but I don't have one of these.

Pilot

You might want to look around for a Dan Wesson .22

I've had one for several years and it's been a peach.

Good Luck...

Joe

Call me a sissy, but the 3" bbl 8 shot S&W J frame would be my top pick for a kit gun. It's smaller and lighter than the Model 34 and has two extra shots. About the only disadvantage of the 8 shot is that there isn't any speedloaders for it yet (correct me guys if I'm wrong and then direct me to the vendor).

With regards to DA 22 revolvers, I also have a Ruger SP101 and the Colt Diamondback. Neither gun is as compact or light as that S&W but you can use speedloaders with either. Why are speedloaders important? When you want to practice DA shooting (as in natural point) and want to keep hammering away, you have to have speedloaders.

Another option would be a Taurus model 96. Its a copy of a S&W and has a lifetime warrenty. The eight shot model 94's arent bad but the 96 is more of a target gun. Good shooter if you can find one.

being as you're a hammerli kinda guy, you should be looking for a 4" colt diamondback (baby python) :cool: (very classy) or the dan wesson .22 pistol-pac (w/nice aluminum carry case) :cool: :cool:

The Taurus 96 was discontinued two years ago. They can still be found on the used market, but at almost as high a price as a Smith 17. Look around they are out there. Taurus will be about $200-250 depending on condition the Smith will be about $250-350 depending on condiiton. I'm eying a 17-3 Smith at my local dealer they are asking $325 for it. It has some drag marks on the cylinder, but is in good shape otherwise. Pinned barrel and recessed cylinders on that generation of gun ( not sure how these features affect overall value, but they quit making them like that in the next generation of model 17's)

The .22 wheelgun...

...I hanker for most is (don't laugh!) the Ruger Bearcat. That thing is just cute as a button! :D

M-18

Found mine used in a gunstore here in SOCAL that closed up due to paperwork overload -- $275 as I recall a couple years ago. It isn't cute as a button, but it has that S&W trigger and shoots great.

rock_jock...bring your WALLET-and be prepared for STICKER SHOCK-if you go looking for a "Diamonback"....quite PRICEY these days!!! The S&W K-22, either Model 17 or Model 18(depending on barrel length)if you like BLUED guns or the Model 617, if you like STAINLESS, would be my suggestion. I own TWO Model 17's-one, an older, pinned-and-recessed version, the second a newer, full-lugged "Classic Hunter" type. Both shoot extremely well and are a true PLEASURE to take to the range!!! My two cents' worth....mikey357

Back