Need some shotgun bore cleaning advice...

Tetra Products

Just for initially cleaning or mopping out the gunk what I like real well is just taking a mop on my cleaning rod with some light oil on a t-shirt patch layed over the mop (this saves the mop) and running it thru. It seems to wipes it down real well and then I can look and see if everything has been freed the surface.
Something I have come accross recently and will swear by it is Tetra Products. I initially bought it for my M14. The kit has a spray can of cleaner and light oil, a bottle of oil, and grease for high pressure lubrication (primarily the roller on the m14 bolt.
If you follow the instruction for the initial cleaning of your barrel I have discovered that in my other guns that I am shooting lead that there is little or adhesion of the lead to the steel. I have also measured increased velocity after about the third application of the oil. I have gone one step furthur in preparing a new and even used barrels. I firing up my rinse tank (I do a little bluing)and bring the water up about 180 deg. Emmerse the barrel untill it gets to the water temp. takes about 15 minutes. Then with my mop prepared with a Tetra Oil soaked patch, I remove the barrel from the hot water, it dries instantly and i swab the barrel . Tetra talks about how this product inbeds into the steel and Im convinced it does. They just talk about doing this after cleaning and before firing and I have discovered by applying it to a clean hot barrel that after the third cleaning (3 groups of 50) that usually after one to three passes with my brass brush all the lead is gone after firing 250 swc thru my .45 acp same with the .357, .220 swift (copper gone), and my M14.
I am in the process of preparing a new shotgun barrel 12ga Ithaca and hope to find out this weekend how well it works here also. But even with out the hot tanking of the barrel just preparing the barrel after 2-3 small firings that the lead gives it up really fast and my cleaning time has really been reduced. Sounds like a sale add but no kidding this stuff is good. just follw the directions and when you have done it two or three times you will notice the difference as you increase the number of rounds you fire before cleaning. Problem I have found is the containers they sell it in seems pretty small for the amount you pay. The kit is about $20.00. but it doesnt take much, really.
Unfortunately Ive been cleaning neighbors guns and Im running out.
JUst thought Id share this with you.
Tom

Nedfig, nylon brushes also work well for me,albeit it takes a skosh more elbow grease than the brass ones.

Thanks for the tip on Tetra, guys, if I see some I'll try it out and report here.

After you run the brush and the patces through a few times, now it's time to finish the job. Go to an auto parts store and pick up a can of the white buffing compound. Take an old cleaning rod with the handle cut off so you can chuck it in a variable speed drill. Screw on the bore mop and load it up real good with the white buffing compound. A few passes and load it up again. Then some cleaning paches on a jag with cleaner of your choice to get the compound out. Finish with a very light coat of Brakefree CLP. You'll have a beautifully clean barrel with a shine better that new. Caution looking down the barrel without sunglasses could hurt your eyes.

What I do

With barrel removed from receiver,

1. Wet Hoppe's patch over bronze brush, push through one way only (removes most crud).

2. Thorough brushing with bronze brush and Hoppe's. Clean bronze brush with brake cleaner. Place dry patch over bronze brush and push through one way.

3. Repeat steps one and two until clean (once or twice should do).

4. Oil patch with Mobil 1. Place over bore mop and run through barrel one way. Reverse patch and repeat.

5. Repeat step four, but with a dry patch.

Steps four and five keep your bore mop clean.

Regards,

Ledbetter

DaveMcC, I got mine from a local sporting clays range. You might do an internet search for Pro-shot to find the manufacturer's web site. They usually have a search for a dealer function or you may be able to order from them direct. Pro-shot manufacturers all kinds of gun cleaning equipment.

Back