Need some optics advise

There is an 8 page thread on Opticstalk specific to the Athlon scopes. Optics knowledgeable people who bought them and evaluated them are saying good things about the scopes. If you go through the thread you will discover the Cronos model is made in Japan. The others are made in China.

When I was buying, I looked at NF, Vortex, Nikon, Athlon and some other brands I could afford. I didn't find the glass on the Nikon, Athlon or the other brands to be as good as NF or Vortex. I felt Vortex's Razor was on par with NF. But the Vortex warranty was also a big factor. Vortex's discounts toward LE and Military also helped swing me to Vortex. The discount didn't apply to me since I've never worked in worked in LE or served. But I support companies that do provide a discount. With that said, I know a lot of other companies offer similar discounts to LE and the Military.

I like vortex warranty myself but I've decided on the Nightforce. Own both and Nightforce hands down. Hope I never have to send one back.

Problem solved!! Lol

Let me know how the ELD is doing at that range. I still need to put mine through the chrono.
Finally found some 168gr Berger VLD Hunting. Pairing those with RL26 out of the 24" barrel Rem Mag.

Its kind of an old school Optic but the NF that goes to 32 and 40? (forget model, Benchrest sometinhg, parelex adjustment) Power is pretty good.

I have the target dot in mine (32 X) and like it.

Still have to get to a range to push it at all.

There is an 8 page thread on Opticstalk specific to the Athlon scopes. Optics knowledgeable people who bought them and evaluated them are saying good things about the scopes. If you go through the thread you will discover the Cronos model is made in Japan. The others are made in China.

I have 3 Cabella made in Japan Guide scopes. Love em. (they no longer carry that, you can get used). One got knocked silly but with a 20MOA rail backwards shoots good.

Two are 12 x and one is 20 X. For some reason, the cross hairs work for my eyes, some of the thin ones do not.

On my F-CLASS open 1k Rifle I started with a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 30 mm tube I took off my AR-10...Used this scope because my Swarovski scopes are both below 16 Power and my Leupold Mark 4 is a 20 Power and wasn't sure what scope to buy yet. all the other vx3's and Burris's I have besides those are 12 Power Max and 1" tubes for hunting rifles.
First thing in the morning it was great and I could easily see the 1/2 moa XRing. but even with my barrel mirage deflector shield, I had to look through a fish bowl by 11 am. So next I bought a night force 8-32x56. Why? Because everyone else, including a guy ranked 9th in the world I shoot with uses night force scopes at 1k yards. Some guys run the 15-55x52 nightforce but the mirage at 55 Power is unmanageable in the southern summer humidity by 10 am so they usually stick around 30 Power.

There are a few S&B's and US optics on the line but the cost isn't worth it unless you are planning to go beyond 1500 yards, simply because a 32x night force can see clearly a 5" (1/2 moa) circle at 1k yards or 1/2 moa white on black circle at 1 mile.

Your gun, so obviously your call, but the guys on the firing line I shoot on have enough money to buy any scope they want, and they almost to a man choose night force.

Back