Need some optics advise

Wendyj

I've been using a sfp Nightforce SHV 4.5x14x56 on a 308 milspec. It's ok out to a 1000 at steel but not precision. The new SHV is a 6x20x56 I've been looking at. Also had some interest in the xviii 6.5x20 until I saw the 8x32 Sightron. I moved away from Leupold hunting scopes when the Roman numerals left. Have never used a long Range Leupold or even heard of a Sightron. All 3 are in my 1100.00 max price range and the Sightron is around 800.00. Would like to know some pros and cons of the Leupold and Sightron. I am more than familiar with the nightforce. Would like comparison though. Moa reticle for a 7 mm mag Sendero. Hoping to get to 1500 yards. Paper and steel only.

I have several Leupold XV-3 and 3i scopes on varmint rifles, including 2 6.5 -20x and a 8.5 - 25x. They are clear, bright, and exceptionally well made.
I also have one nightforce - a benchrest 12-42X on a heavy bench rifle. It is superior in every way to the Leupold once you get out to really long ranges.

I'd be in the mood for another nighforce if I was serious about reaching out to 1500 yards.

I'm really partial to the Nightforce. I also have the benchrest model same as yours but mine has a target dot. It's been great on a 257 weatherby that I very seldom use anymore.

"...Hoping to get to 1500 yards..." More about the ballistics of the 7mm Mag than the optics. The optics is just about seeing the target well enough away down range.
However, the real issue is quality heavy 7mm match grade bullets for long range shooting. Sierra makes a 183 and a 197 grain HPBT Match King that'd do though.
A Sendero is a hunting rifle too. Its barrel and trigger may not be up to 1500 yards. Unless it's one of the newer SF II's.

It is sf11. I am hoping to do it with 162 eld match. I intend to just try it. New optics are going back to 300 win mag and Sendero will be sporting 2x10 Nightforce headed to beanfields to hunt deer. Maybe I can't do it but am going to try

I figured as much Jimro. I've got quite a few Vortex but seems like at about 7-800 yards is where I get serious mirage. All I have are vipers. Maybe the Razor doesn't do it as bad. I'm not going into competition and am not a wanna be sniper. I started shooting longer here in the east for a western antelope hunt. After learning to reload I've learned I really like long range shooting. A vortex viper was my first scope over 10 power and then the 2 Nightforce scopes. Saw some Scmidt and Benders while out browsing yesterday. Nice but ouch on price.

Nightforce SHV F1 on a 20moa mount will get you there. You could find a Leupold Mark 4 for cheap too but I'm not crazy about their reticles. Sitron isn't a very robust or great optic. Hit places like 24hr Campfire or Snipershide and you may score an NXS or 1st Generation Razor in your range. Also the Burris XTR II is about that price. There is no VX series Leupold to do what you want, there are many choices better than Leupold for the same money.

Wendy,

If you look at some of the foreign boards they absolutely love Sightron. Especially in and around New Zealand.

I'm saving up for a Vortex Diamondback "Tactical" 4-12x40 for my Mauser build. I'm putting it together as a hunting rifle, not bench use so going with the lower magnification. Best things about it are the exposed knobs, and Vortex's VMR1 MOA reticle.

I'm surprised that you say the NF isn't precise, they have some of the best glass on the market. That and they're one of the toughest scopes out there that you can buy. I've talked to their customer service before, very professional and helpful. If there's an issue with the scope, try calling them and sending it back to be serviced.

I have an NXS in 5.5-22X56mm on my .50, been sitting there for 17 years now and been through alot of ammo. It has never had an issue, never moved and I've shot targets out to 2000 yards. I would look at some of the newer scopes that they have out. I really like the A.T.A.C.R. scope, I plan on putting one on my next .50.

Look at Vortex, they have several in that price range that you should be pretty happy with.
I have a Steiner, a bit above what you want to spend, but I like the quality, reliability and ease of operation.

If you would save up a little moola you could put a March benchrest scope on the rifle. Take a look at them at Optics Planet and other places.

I had the opportunity to shoot one a few years back and it is NICE.

They offer a 50x56 that is superb. March makes long range scopes up to 80x.

Very impressed with the optic and build quality of the recently introed Athlon Optics Helos 8-34x 56mm. Just under $600 gives you HD glass and advanced coatings, Argon gas fill, waterproof, and illum reticle control & battery incorporated with the side-parallax turret. Has locking turrets with easy zero set and can be setup for zero stop.

I have owned Nightforce NXS 8-32x (in 2007) and sold it within 5mos because it was heavy and had mediocre optic performance. The Helos is a great value in a longrange suitable field or bench scope. Also comes in 6-24x 50mm obj. Forgot to mention it is a 1st Focal Plane scope.

At $1800, Athlon has the Cronus BTR, a 4.5-29x 56mm scope that is made in Japan by Light Optical Works; same guys who build scopes for March & NF, and others. I have tested this scope at 1100-1600yds and it is superb. By early August, Athlon should be receiving their new 4.5-27x Ares which is Assembled in China from Light Optical lens systems and internal components. This scope will sell for $850ish. If you want superb quality and value; the Athlon Ares will be worth evaluating.

Catalog download link here <www.athlonoptics.com> Link at bottom of homepage.

The Athlon Midas series is a 2nd Focal Plane model that is also a great value. Very similar features as Helos, but no locking turrets, at about same under $600 price. I have the 4.5-27x w/moa reticle. Really a fine scope.

Disclaimer: I am an Athlon dealer affiliate and as such am biased towards delivering best value and best optical and control performance for the money. Try a Helos or the sub $400 Argos BTR scopes and see for yourself. There is one drawback to the 8-34x 56mm model and that is somewhat limited W&E movement which is listed at 13mils. You will need a picatinny rail with 20moa gain to shoot past 1000. Most guys will be using an moa gain rail.

As for 1500 with a 7mm rem mag. Might be a bit ambitious. 7mm STW, 7mm RUM; you'd be okay. If you are looking for ultimate clarity and resolution performance at 1mi or longer; the Cronus BTR is worth the money. 34mm tube, 32mils E&W probably no need for a gain rail.

I am about ready. Remington Sendero. 26 inch barrel. X mark trigger removed and trigger job down to 2.1 lbs. 20 Moa Nightforce base. HS Precision stock. Going to go with either Nightforce SHV 5x20x56 or the Vortex HST 6x24X50. 162 grain eldx loaded at 2928 average fps. Both scopes are at my local gun store and I can't do any worse than not be able to do it but sure am anxious to try.

Last edited:
Comparing an Athlon to a NF NXS is like comparing a broken down Yugo to a Ferrari. Talk about a troll piece. How many Athlon scopes are in combat zones? How many Athlon scopes are in the PRS? LOW manufactures 95% of all non-Euro glass lenses but, they do not make the scope or mechanics nor specify the optical clarity and precision of the lense.

Wendy, you already know what you're getting in a NF, why chance it with something less. The Vortex Viper is a lesser optic though the Gen II is supposed to be markedly better. I just don't like their reticles. Were I going Vortex, the least I'd settle for would be the Razor line.

Head over to Opticstalk to get some good advice. There are some great glass gurus there that really know their stuff. I will warn you though, it's not a Leupold or Nikon friendly place.

Lot of people seem to like Athlon scopes. But I tend to lend toward paying good money for a scope. I won't buy a scope made in China. I don't care how good it is.

Back