Need some help with calculating bullet arc trajectories

Looking over your posts, I'm confused as to why you need the maximum height of the arc.

As far as not hitting the blocks at the berm, I think a standard ballistics app with a zero at the Target and result at the berm is a correct method.

The thing you want to look most closely at is where does a low shot go. Looks like you should be OK for a 10-ring shot, but you need to do the same plot starting at the top of the berm in front of the target pits. The shot in the black is not the problem, it is the one that barely clears the berm. Looking at your drawing, if the berm location is accurate, that would be roughly 4.5" lower than your normal impact area.

If that is not the berm, and just the front concrete wall of the pits and the berm is on top of that, then you should find that height and add it to your plot.

Eyeballing it, that still looks OK, but you should confirm, and also go have a look at that berm, and find the lowest point and use that in your calculations.

Those never seem to be level in my experience, and rebuilding it if necessary if there is any excavation/erosion from low shots.

raimius said:
I'm confused as to why you need the maximum height of the arc.

To plot an arc you need 3 points on a curve. Vertical points from the barrel's straight line : Point #1 = gun barrel, Point #2 = X ring on target, point #3 = maximum vertical arc measurement taken at 300 yds.

Ah, not necessarily. Due to air friction, the bullet slows during flight, while acceleration due to gravity is constant. The arc will be flatter near the muzzle, and more vertical at the end of flight. If you take a ballistic computer and start plugging in numbers every 25 yards, you'll notice the drops get larger and larger per increment as you get to long ranges.

raimius said:
Ah, not necessarily. Due to air friction, the bullet slows during flight, while acceleration due to gravity is constant. The arc will be flatter near the muzzle, and more vertical at the end of flight. If you take a ballistic computer and start plugging in numbers every 25 yards, you'll notice the drops get larger and larger per increment as you get to long ranges.

I'm not trying to send a rocket to Saturn. My arc plot points are close enough for my berm impact estimate data intent.

Back