Need some help with a turkey gun

This makes a lot of sense - for wingshooting. "Close range" in wingshooting is 20 yards instead of 40.

So you have your chokes at 30 and 40 - one for somewhat far and one for a lot farther....:D

I saw a Perazzi pigeon gun ( the live box bird type) with fixed chokes of 28 and 48 - open to stop, tighter to obliterate..........;)

So you have your chokes at 30 and 40 - one for somewhat far and one for a lot farther....

Double barrels with different chokes make a lot of sense in wingshooting where the target is moving and having a large spread of shot helps compensate for shooting that's good but not quite perfect.

Turkeys OTOH are normally shot standing relatively still. While the gun is a shotgun, one shoots it as if it were a rifle. While sights of some sort are not absolutely required, they certainly help.

In the OP's case he should resolve his sight adjustment / marksmanship issue rather than try to band-aid over it with a more open choke. You should be able to kill a turkey at 7 paces with a 22.

I'm currently shooting a Mossberg 835 12 gauge ultra mag but in the last 2 years I've missed 3 turkeys at 4 steps, 6 steps, and 7 steps. I 100% believe that my gun is choked too tight.

Ya think?

The best answer is usually the simplest answer ....... and the simplest thing would be, I think ....... to shoot sooner.

If you are regularly bringing them inside 10 yards, why go with a choke and load patterned 4.5 times that far?

Back