Need Shotgun Advice

Have you considered a recoil reducing stock like the Knoxx Specops?

I can shoot slugs and buckshot through my "870" all day with it.

"...a shoulder pad that is..." Easily replaced and not difficult to do yourself. Takes a screw driver.
However, which old 20 gauge Mossberg you have matters a bit. A pump gun is going to be heavy no matter what you do. And a synthetic stock increases felt recoil due to the lower weight.
Suggest you think about a semi-auto 20 gauge with rifle sights. Using a 5/8 ounce slug. Buckshot is useless past 35 or 40 yards. And, as mentioned, you're highly likely to hit one of the eating machines. A slug will be accurate out past 100 yards. Even with a smooth bore, you can expect 2 or 3 inch groups at 100.

The Remington 1100 suggestion is an excellent one. The 1100, even without a recoil pad has relatively soft recoil

If you go with a rimfire I'd consider the .17hmr. No recoil and very, very accurate.

I second the .22 Magnum rifle idea. And I would also suggest a 9mm semiautomatic carbine like the new Ruger PCC. Recoil is mild, and good ammo is cheap. If you decide to stay with a shotgun, try the Mossberg 500 in .410. Much less recoil than a 20ga, and the varmints won't feel the difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

And I would also suggest a 9mm semiautomatic carbine like the new Ruger PCC. Recoil is mild, and good ammo is cheap. If you decide to stay with a shotgun, try the Mossberg 500 in .410. Much less recoil than a 20ga, and the varmints won't feel the difference.

After watching reviews of the Ruger PCC, I watched reviews of the Hi-Point 995TS and bought the Hi-Point for $269.99. The Ruger is more expensive and there have been some issues for some people with it. The HI-Point has been made for years and has proven to be very reliable and accurate.

Back